Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

Hey All, 

  I have a question. I want to remove my trans line thermostat. Will it be bad for the trans like running too cold I live in NJ. Why GM have a 190 degree thermostat is it for better performance. Is too cool an problem. I know too hot is but how bout. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

it is been stated many times, until 2014 every gm truck ran without the thermostat with no problems. i live in canada and removed mine, dont notice any difference in how the transmission works

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great thanks. How many miles is there truck. How did you take out yours did you just remove it and the spring. I know where is Spring and the thermostat is like a housing will the oil still slow even out or is a baffle before its flow in and out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, silveradosid said:

lots of videos out there to watch, i just flipped the inside parts. i have 130k miles on my truck

Wow great. I'll trting thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Siveradosid,

   I flipped the thermostat in my transmission line. Like you did in NJ its 40 degrees I drove my truck and the trans temperature is not passing 110 degrees. How about yours? what temperature ?is your running at. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tie said:

It's 110 too cool for the transmission. 

Until 2014 coolers on GM automatics were not regulated. That is no thermostat. The 6L80 was run from 2005 to 2013 without a whimper without a thermostat. No, that is not to cool. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The other day I took a 65 mile trip to a place and it was 12-14 degrees outside, transmission got to 104-109 degrees. Pretty much what my 2012 truck got to in the cold weather +/- 10 degrees.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

if you did the bypass mod, you can bring the temps up about 10-20 degrees by installing a full flow spin on filter without the anti drainback spin on oil filter. this puts pressure on the cooling line and and holds back the trans fluid from flowing freely thru the cooler.  i found a standard spin on filter with the anti drain back valve causes restriction and will increase the trans temp to the same level as the thermostat before deleting it.

 

I now got rid of my old spin on set up and went with a motorguard cartridge style (toilet paper roll) design, more surface area and no restrictions with drain back valves, also dialed down the trans fans to 190 degrees operation , before they never turned on until 220 degrees.

20210110_112727.jpg

Edited by flyingfool
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, silveradosid said:

the temps here in ontario have been 20 to 30 degrees and my tranny runs at 104, in the summer when it was 80 degrees it ran 160

Great thanks! 

That info looks like the same way I think my will run in the summer too. And you didn't experience no hard shifting or lagin to change the gear from the transmission.

And how long ago you did the trans delete? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, flyingfool said:

if you did the bypass mod, you can bring the temps up about 10-20 degrees by installing a full flow spin on filter without the anti drainback spin on oil filter. this puts pressure on the cooling line and and holds back the trans fluid from flowing freely thru the cooler.  i found a standard spin on filter with the anti drain back valve causes restriction and will increase the trans temp to the same level as the thermostat before deleting it.

 

I now got rid of my old spin on set up and went with a motorguard cartridge style (toilet paper roll) design, more surface area and no restrictions with drain back valves, also dialed down the trans fans to 190 degrees operation , before they never turned on until 220 degrees.

20210110_112727.jpg

Hi flying 

Can you send a link I can see parts or video installation to understand more. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, silveradosid said:

the temps here in ontario have been 20 to 30 degrees and my tranny runs at 104, in the summer when it was 80 degrees it ran 160

I live further south but run a colder water thermostat so about the same as yours. Chart in my previous post of three years.

18 minutes ago, Tie said:

Great thanks! 

That info looks like the same way I think my will run in the summer too. And you didn't experience no hard shifting or lagin to change the gear from the transmission.

And how long ago you did the trans delete? 

Been running delete for 4 years. Didn't plot this last year. Have my data.  Zero shift issues. Now at 135,000 miles (217,000 kilometers). I also run a PAO/POE based transmission fluid starting at 50K and do a drain and fill every 25K. Thing shifts mint.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.