Block heater cord

On 1/31/2021 at 2:09 PM, 3.0 said:

Would like to find another block heater cord the works with the bumper plug in or a short converter just so I have a back up.Does anyone know of a supplier?

The dealer?

I bought an extra to keep in the truck, if it gets parked at some other location then normal. $53 and change. Oh, and tax.

I don't know why gm had to change from the normal 120v plug under the hood. Atleast use a covered normal plug if they thought it had to be out of the engine bay.

recessed plug.jpg

Did you try a standard cord? 

EDIT:

So I got curious and went out and got the cord from my truck.

I had been thinking that the picture was the plug  (or like the plug) on the truck....

Clearly it isn't like a standard plug, and clearly a 'standard' cord will not mate with the truck. 

Edited by redwngr

Let's take our hats off to those really intelligent GM engieers (on purpose) never met an engineer that could spell. The bumper connection is specific and the extension cord is specific (the male end contains a thermostat that is set at -18c). So now if someone borrows your cord you are done until you can find a new cord from your stealer or where ever.... 1day or 1 week or maybe 2 or 3 depending on the post office . Next if you use an extension cord with the original cord make sure the male end doesn't lay on the ground because now the thermostat may think its colder than it is and start setting off another bunch of special issues (you'll find out). The solution is too easy,just build the thermostat into the block heater cord going to the bumper mount keeping it off the ground and away from vandalism,and then have a standard male electrical cord end on the bumper mount DUUUH Homer. So if someone borrows your cord and your wheels won't start make sure and call GM roadside assistance and don't stop calling them until they get you a new cord and they have to keep coming to start you because there are no cords available.Support Your Local Tow Truck CO. :) He may even have a spare cord LOL

1 hour ago, 3.0 said:

Let's take our hats off to those really intelligent GM engieers (on purpose) never met an engineer that could spell. The bumper connection is specific and the extension cord is specific (the male end contains a thermostat that is set at -18c). So now if someone borrows your cord you are done until you can find a new cord from your stealer or where ever.... 1day or 1 week or maybe 2 or 3 depending on the post office . Next if you use an extension cord with the original cord make sure the male end doesn't lay on the ground because now the thermostat may think its colder than it is and start setting off another bunch of special issues (you'll find out). The solution is too easy,just build the thermostat into the block heater cord going to the bumper mount keeping it off the ground and away from vandalism,and then have a standard male electrical cord end on the bumper mount DUUUH Homer. So if someone borrows your cord and your wheels won't start make sure and call GM roadside assistance and don't stop calling them until they get you a new cord and they have to keep coming to start you because there are no cords available.Support Your Local Tow Truck CO. :) He may even have a spare cord LOL

Any idea how the thermostat works? 

I got curious and checked the cord for mine.

It had been at 50F ambient.  I brought it to warmer area and ohmmeter test indicates each socket on female end is connected to one blade (and open to the others) on the male end.

I would have guessed if it had a thermostat that at least one circuit would be check as an open, and/or others combos might show resistance indicating a load rather than as an open. 

Maybe different cords depending on delivery locations? 

image.thumb.png.5873b2a7fb20df85767f21831b83ed19.png

Not an electrician it was parts that told me the male head has a thermostat in it and is why the cord is specific.I do know I had a real issue with plugging in when the temp was bouncing back a forth above and below -18 earlier in Dec and Jan..I would think the best way to check it would be to test it warm and then test it cold and see how it reacts. Your cord head looks smaller than my 20 but could be for any reason.Try plugging it in with another extension cord and keep the male end on ice and see what happens if it was like mine you'll either have to let it sit for 6 hrs. or clear the code.

Tested warm it checks out the same as a 'normal' extension cord.  

If it has a thermostat, it doesn't break the circuit when it's warm. 

Picture is distorted for some reason. (stretched L/R)

On another thread one user stated that 2020 forward do not have the thermostat in the cable so it doesn't disable current flow at warm temps.  This was referring to the Duramax, not sure if the same for gas engines.

11 hours ago, SRNicholson said:

On another thread one user stated that 2020 forward do not have the thermostat in the cable so it doesn't disable current flow at warm temps.  This was referring to the Duramax, not sure if the same for gas engines.

Makes sense.

Matches up with what I found checking my cord with a DVM .

Also makes sense with the issue some had with 3.0L's that were plugged in above 0*F. 

I'd still like to know if the got the revision for the 3.0L done, if it gets updated to early production 3.0L's and if/when a production change was implemented.