Bilstein 5100 (24-309509) adjustable shock question

Rosshog

Does anyone know if the ride comfort will be noticeably different between settings on the Bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks (#24-309509)?  Wondering if anything other than the stock height setting will be noticeably stiffer?  Thanks in advance for any insight.

I can attest to how they felt on my previously owned F150.  I had them on the middle setting and the quality was good.  When I took all the rake out and put it on the max setting the truck felt bouncy to me, not stiff at all.  I really liked the ride in the middle setting.  GMC/Chevy may be different but I doubt it.

Edited by Rackumrack

1 hour ago, Rackumrack said:

I can attest to how they felt on my previously owned F150.  I had them on the middle setting and the quality was good.  When I took all the rake out and put it on the max setting the truck felt bouncy to me, not stiff at all.  I really liked the ride in the middle setting.  GMC/Chevy may be different but I doubt it.

Wow.  That's the opposite of what I expected.  I figured the max setting would cause more stiffness.  Thanks for the info.  

6 hours ago, Rosshog said:

Wow.  That's the opposite of what I expected.  I figured the max setting would cause more stiffness.  Thanks for the info.  

Depends on what coils you run with them just as much as the struts themselves. 

Edited by superhighsierra

i believe you can run lift springs with bilstein kit as well.....check out Eibach they make most of the springs for all the coilover/shock companies.....in conjunction with adj shock you can get bit more height without having to use highest settings on shock

I have Bilsteins on all 4 corners. This is mine set at the 2.5 height in the front. Prior to the Bilsteins, I had a 2 inch under strut Readylift spacer with stock shocks. The Bilsteins are a much better ride.

I've never ran them at the 2 inch setting, but I've heard that its a bit more forgiving. I went with the full 2.5 because I've read from a couple people that the 2 inch setting doesn't quite get you a full 2 inches. If you are worried about the ride, you could always keep the shocks at stock height and run a top spacer.

Stock was too floaty and was terrible at recovering from large bumps. Under strut spacer + stock shocks were a bit stiff. Bllsteins at top setting feel great to me ?

20210226_145909.jpg

On 2/27/2021 at 10:11 AM, Rosshog said:

Stock coils

Gonna be somewhere in between. Spring rate is more important than the strut in relation to softness. 

If you do any serious off-roading that obviously would not be a great setup, but if it's 98% on pavement, and you are just looking for a couple extra inches, you are probably going to be satisfied. But like anything it's a give and take. You are also going to change the geometry of your CV axles, ball joints, tie rods, etc. If you are going to stick them at 2.5 I'd also recommend that you run aftermarket UCA's and extended end links to keep it tight. 

If it were me, I'd go for something like this: https://www.alligatorperformance.com/cognito-210-p0874-3-inch-performance-ball-joint-leveling-kit-with-fox-ps-coilover-2-0-ifp-for-19-20-silverado-sierra-1500/?gclid=CjwKCAiAm-2BBhANEiwAe7eyFPjcTn21I1lrM3lRhd151ogEz_hdf3AzTEnz3F3mnPEEg90pNfvDnBoC8ygQAvD_BwE

5100's are the best budget set of struts & shocks IMO. However, if you are going to spend $500 on shocks and another $300 on labor, you might as well do it right and replace the coils and add UCA's hence why I'd go for something like the Fox lift I posted above. But your line of thinking is correct and you are actually improving your vehicle unlike 99% of the morons on here installing Rough Country components and bolting on straight garbage to get a couple extra inches on their 60k vehicles. 2.5 - 3" is the sweet spot for sure. 

Whatever you do make sure you get it aligned after you do it. Again to spell it out for future reference: 

Front Struts

Coil Springs

UCA's 

Extended End Links

Rear Shocks

Optional: +1 leaf spring in the rear if you want to keep the rake

Will give you a proper 2.5-3in lift in the front and a proper 1-2in lift in the rear. But like I said whatever you do, get ready to change some CV Axles, Ball Joints, etc. 

Edited by superhighsierra

I probably should have clarified that I currently have an AT4 with the Rough Country 1318 2" level kit that I'll be removing.  This level kit consists of a 1" spring spacer and a 1" lower strut spacer.  It caused my truck to be higher in the front by about 1/2" - 3/4".  At least that is how it appears.  The specific 5100's I'll be installing (# 24-309509) have three settings: stock height, .55", and 1.1".  Given my situation, should I install at the 1.1" setting to get closer to a true level?  Just worried about stiff ride at the max setting.  Or I could install at the middle setting (.55") along with the 1" lower strut spacer to give me approx. 1.55" front lift.  Would this ride smoother than the shocks alone at the 1.1" setting?  I have 3" rear blocks i could install if the front still appears nose high.  I'll also be adding Cognita UCA's.

• Like 1

I'm doing nearly the same as you. I have a 1.5" motofab I haven't installed and I don't think I will.

I contacted Cognito about installing their 1" top spacer with their UCA's and then running Bilstein 5100's at .55" and they advised against it. Their engineer said the Cognito UCA uses the strut as the travel stop and since the Bilsteins are longer it will be hitting and possibly damaging the ball joint by traveling too much. They said using just the Bilsteins with their UCA was good. I didn't ask about a lower spacer though. If you do, will you let me know?

Thanks