Front differential upgrade worth it?

My front differential is looking like it will need a rebuild sooner rather than later. I've done some preliminary research and it appears that there's an Eaton Truetrac (912A557) compatible with this application. Keeping in mind that I live in Alaska and the roads are covered in snow/ice for about half the year, is it worth the trouble?

• I live in the south west and get virtually no snow or ice, but when something needs changed it needs changed.  You can google search easy enough the advantages of what you are looking for.  What it would come down to me is what I am willing to do for my truck.  If money or time isnt an issue, why not?  I liken the type of question to do I run stock lift or put in a 2 ".  It really is about preference and in most cases the performance benefits are not so great as to justify the means, but sometimes looks better.

On 2/26/2021 at 7:40 PM, Ian Mills said:

My front differential is looking like it will need a rebuild sooner rather than later. I've done some preliminary research and it appears that there's an Eaton Truetrac (912A557) compatible with this application. Keeping in mind that I live in Alaska and the roads are covered in snow/ice for about half the year, is it worth the trouble?

Nope, your front differential is an 8.25" and there is no limited slip or locker made for them since I last looked a few years ago.  Most writin' says the case cannot take the strain of one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

James stole my thunder. When I was installing a air-actuated Ox Locker in the rear end of my '07 Silverado, I looked into getting one later on down the road for the front. As I looked, I noticed nothing was available - not from Ox, or anyone else that I could find. There were listings for EVERYTHING but. The general consensus out there on the net is that these are the weakest geartrain assemblies ever produced.

I had thought this only pertained to 2007 and newer trucks, but I guess not. That sucks.