Just ordered Hope I dont regret it

Just dropped an order this past saturday,  ordered a 21 Chevy  2500  Duramax Midnight edition.  Was told 8-10 weeks but we will see.  Either way grew up in a GM family whole family worked there.  Never had luck with past silverados all were half tons.  Been a ford guy for the last 12 years with no issues.  But due to getting employee discount the duramax was 5k cheaper with more stuff than the powerstroke so I went that route.  Have done some searching around on somethings but hoping to get some insider info on a few.

- Whats some real world mpg avg and long run avg.  I dont put not slam the pedal but do run 10 over most of the time

-These trucks are to quiet,  exhaust on a diesel seems sort of pointless without  delete and other goodies,  and doing delete im not going to even contemplate nor anything else that risks a warranty on a 70k machine.  Ive seen the resonator delete any thoughts.  Different air filter, intake?  Again not pushing the limits with the warranty nor want something where i feel like i am in a jet engine, but want to know I have a diesel. 

-Kind of crappy ordering something without seeing one  a few used ones on some lots but nobody in town had any new chevy or GMCs to really look at and play around.  Dealer couldnt really show me and I have yet to find a view or anything online of the bedview camera.

Either way looks like a nice truck and I am excited.  At first I thought they the front end was one of the worst things I have ever seen, but with the body match grill it seems to look better.  A few things that GM doesn have that ford did that I am either going to miss from my F150 days or just miss because ford offered was the console shifter,  I got the bucket seats but loved the console shifter on the ford, good place for the hand.  But better than the dodge dial,  buddy has that and hate it.  Second this just isnt silverado and its a small thing, but the door key pad on the ford was awesome,  saves a lot of butt ache.  Last was Ford offers a supplemental heater (electric) that works until your main heat kicks, wish GM had that.

You made a good choice.  I love the looks of the Chevy and I think it's far better looking than the GMC.  The odd looking wheel wells with the side lights on the GMC are beyond what I consider to be good styling - the front grill is a little over the top too.  The 10 speed Allison is awesome and the technology is incredible.  Ford and Ram have problems with death wobble which is nonexistent on the GM trucks.  Ford also uses the Bosch CP4 high pressure fuel pump which can be a very expensive time bomb.  DEF systems are the most problematic area on modern diesels and all makes have them from pickups to the big rigs. 

They're all good trucks and also all make a few lemons. I've generally had good service from them all, despite a few hiccups. Nothing major, though. You're not going to be in luck with any HD having a console shifter. Maybe in a MCE coming up someone will, but I doubt it. Haven't seen any spy shots of an HD with a console shifter. The keypad isn't really necessary...as long as the FOB is in your pocket! LOL! You can get a keypad for the GM, but it's kind of clunky looking and definitely looks like an afterthought, not part of the vehicle. I thinks it's due in large part to the strange angle it has.

I had a 2020 Silverado High Country gasser and recently got a 2021 Sierra Denali diesel. I, too, wasn't too fond of the GMC lights on the roof and wheel wells, but as I started seeing them on dealer lots and on the roads, they aren't bad at all and I like them. Take them or leave them, I guess. Not a "must-have" for me, but not a "stay-away" option, either. What I've found is the color combinations make a larger difference now with the trucks and trims, than ever before. I almost pulled the trigger on a Denali black diamond, but went with the Denali with white diamond tricoat instead. Yes, the black is a good-looking truck, but too hard to keep as clean as I'd want it where I live.

23 minutes ago, gearheadesw said:

Goodness, I wish I could jump around from one 80K truck to another. Good for you.

No, nothing like that, trust me. I was curious as to trade values, and they were way better than I'd ever thought. Ended up getting close to what I paid for a 2-yr old truck. Biggest difference was the upgrade to the Duramax and also a few more options. The power steps, etc. Normally, it would have been way too soon for me to trade, but it was a good, fair deal.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, YYC-SIERRA said:

Nice lookin truck.

I'm always envious when I see a nice 2500 and/or Duramax driving by me in my little 1500. :D

Maybe next truck!

Funny words. Jealousy and Envy. The first has the sense of a person wanting the same thing another has that you don't yet have. The later, Envy, is jealousy to the degree that you would be wish deprive them of the object to acquire it for yourself and if you can't have it then they can't either. It's more destructive. 

I'll bet you meant jealous 😉 

Not picking on you....I have a thing for root meanings of words. Just thought this an interesting study.  Look both up in the dictionary and you won't find these definitions but dig around in the roots, Latin and Greek. You find some funny stuff. 

Now back to your normally scheduled program.  

:cheers:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

They're all good trucks and also all make a few lemons. I've generally had good service from them all, despite a few hiccups. Nothing major, though. You're not going to be in luck with any HD having a console shifter. Maybe in a MCE coming up someone will, but I doubt it. Haven't seen any spy shots of an HD with a console shifter. The keypad isn't really necessary...as long as the FOB is in your pocket! LOL! You can get a keypad for the GM, but it's kind of clunky looking and definitely looks like an afterthought, not part of the vehicle. I thinks it's due in large part to the strange angle it has.

You know after you have that built in key pad you realize how much you miss it when you dont have it.  Now today with the keyless entry and cell phones it does sort of take away some of it.  But will tell you a few things about the key pad.  1.  You are never locked out NEVER.  walk out to driveway, garage, give your wife the keys and you walk a block back to your car and forgot you didnt have keys,  it doesnt matter.  2.  Can leave keys in ignition running and lock the door.

58 minutes ago, nards444 said:

You know after you have that built in key pad you realize how much you miss it when you dont have it.  Now today with the keyless entry and cell phones it does sort of take away some of it.  But will tell you a few things about the key pad.  1.  You are never locked out NEVER.  walk out to driveway, garage, give your wife the keys and you walk a block back to your car and forgot you didnt have keys,  it doesnt matter.  2.  Can leave keys in ignition running and lock the door.

Yeah, I had it on my Super Duty. It was nice, but like you said, keyless entry and cell phone apps take some of the uniqueness away. I know some people (myself included) have to pay for the app now, but it's still a good "fob". Works great at the amusement parks, etc where you want it heated/cooled and can't even see it yet, but you know it'll be ready when you get there. Haven't tried to lock while leaving running for any extended period of time, though, with the fob in/out of vehicle.

34 minutes ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

Yeah, I had it on my Super Duty. It was nice, but like you said, keyless entry and cell phone apps take some of the uniqueness away. I know some people (myself included) have to pay for the app now, but it's still a good "fob". Works great at the amusement parks, etc where you want it heated/cooled and can't even see it yet, but you know it'll be ready when you get there. Haven't tried to lock while leaving running for any extended period of time, though, with the fob in/out of vehicle.

Yeah ford is the one vehicle that lets you run the vehicle with keys in the igniton and lock it, but it wont let you say leave the keys in a cupholder and lock the door, my challenger is the same  way.  But like I said with that key pad you are litteraly never locked out of the car unless the cars batteries die,  nice feature.  I wish GM would have the helper heater too for diesels.

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2021 at 8:17 AM, ShotgunZ71 said:

I had a 2020 Silverado High Country gasser and recently got a 2021 Sierra Denali diesel. I, too, wasn't too fond of the GMC lights on the roof and wheel wells, but as I started seeing them on dealer lots and on the roads, they aren't bad at all and I like them. Take them or leave them, I guess. Not a "must-have" for me, but not a "stay-away" option, either. What I've found is the color combinations make a larger difference now with the trucks and trims, than ever before. I almost pulled the trigger on a Denali black diamond, but went with the Denali with white diamond tricoat instead. Yes, the black is a good-looking truck, but too hard to keep as clean as I'd want it where I live.

Curious on what drove you to only keep the gas for a year?  I’m planning on towing 11k fifth wheel camper, about 6k miles a year.  My 5.3, 3.42 pulls a 8000lb trailer perfect so I though the 6.6 gas would be ok for a 11k lb fifth wheel 

26 minutes ago, Campin5 said:

Curious on what drove you to only keep the gas for a year?  I’m planning on towing 11k fifth wheel camper, about 6k miles a year.  My 5.3, 3.42 pulls a 8000lb trailer perfect so I though the 6.6 gas would be ok for a 11k lb fifth wheel 

It will do it,  reality is up and down hills, trying to pass etc, the diesel will excel.  Performance wise when comparing trucks the 6.6l gas engine is pretty even with the 6.2l in the half tons, and is only marginally better than the 5.3,  like 50hp and torque better.  Always wondered why the big engines with really ok performance numbers in the 3/4 line,  my only guess is the big motors are probably iron bottoms and or are designed for higher RPM and longevity.

In the end if you gas for the 3/4 your buying the performance of the truck its self not really the motor per say.  Gassers do well in straight line and most normal functions. 

Me personally I cant understand why the big three dont have gas motors that surpass the 500ft lb of torque in these trucks these days. 

Edited by nards444