Tech2 clones

I am going to buy a Tech2 clone.

Just had to pay a shop $$ to reset my alcohol content monitor and dont plan on doing that again.

Also would like to turn off AFM.

I was just wondering what units of these kind you folks have used and what your thoughts are of them.

Thanks for any input.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chris allen said:

I am going to buy a Tech2 clone.

Just had to pay a shop $$ to reset my alcohol content monitor and dont plan on doing that again.

Also would like to turn off AFM.

I was just wondering what units of these kind you folks have used and what your thoughts are of them.

Thanks for any input.

You cannot disable AFM with a Tech-2, you would need something like EFI Live or HP Tuners for that.  It seems to me that when Vetronix moved on from the Tech-2, the Chicom factory kept making them and started selling them.  Anyway, I've had one for about 4 years now and it has seen almost daily use since.  

• 1 month later...

I am also having trouble with my fuel trim cell getting stuck at a high ethanol content, causing dumping of fuel into the engine and causing misfires. It happens almost everytime I fill. I am aware of the fueling procedure to avoid this issue, but getting the procedure can be difficult in a cold climate like mine, so looking to be able to reset the sensor when this happens.

Following, and hoping someone can recommend an inexpensive scan tool that will do the job, as my research reveals that descriptions of scan tools are very vague and don't seem to show their full, detailed, capabilities.

On 5/23/2021 at 4:38 PM, davis said:

I am also having trouble with my fuel trim cell getting stuck at a high ethanol content, causing dumping of fuel into the engine and causing misfires. It happens almost everytime I fill. I am aware of the fueling procedure to avoid this issue, but getting the procedure can be difficult in a cold climate like mine, so looking to be able to reset the sensor when this happens.

Following, and hoping someone can recommend an inexpensive scan tool that will do the job, as my research reveals that descriptions of scan tools are very vague and don't seem to show their full, detailed, capabilities.

The Tech-2 can reset your Fuel Trims and Alcohol Content, it was the dealer level scan tool that these trucks were made to be worked on with.  It will pay for itself in no time.

Some people have used the VXDIAG NANO with a tablet but have stated that it was a pain to get the GDS/Tech2Win software set up.

Do you know your injector pulse widths and fuel pressures, commanded and actual?  What are you driving?

Edited by swathdiver

8 hours ago, davis said:

No, I don't know those things. Why do you mention them?

So I should have some luck with a tech2 clone?

I am driving a 2007 5.3L Vortec Suburban

We are coming to a general consensus that a failing fuel pump can cause the alcohol content to rise throwing everything off.  I asked about that data to see if maybe that is your problem.  Trouble is, for 2007 only, we cannot see the fuel pressure or the pump trims.  We can see the injector pulse widths though on a 2007.

One cannot successfully work on these trucks without a Tech-2.

I have a VXDIAG NANO tech2 clone that I hook to my laptop. I can reset the Ethanol % with it. It was HARD to get running on the laptop the first time, but, the second time the software has improved and install was no problem. Downloading the software from the chinese site for VX gave me a virus, so make sure you have protected your PC first

• Thanks 1

😃I have a VXDIAG NANO tech2 clone that I hook to my laptop. I can reset the Ethanol % with it. It was HARD to get running on the laptop the first time, but, the second time the software has improved and install was no problem. Downloading the software from the chinese site for VX gave me a virus, so make sure you have protected your PC first

Edited by Ianf

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Tech2 clone today. It took me a while to figure it out, but I did find the alcohol content reset setting eventually. It was reading 27% and reset took it to 3%. It's still misfiring, so hopefully it only needs a few key cycles and some driving to correct.

But my mechanic's reset a couple months ago (was reading 37% and reading brought it to 3%) worked almost instantly. So it remains to be seen if my $600CDN investment was a waste of money or not.

pulse widths are 2.0ms bank 1 and 1.8ms bank2 

Edited by davis

Misfire was due to dirty O2 sensors. I ran it at 4000rpm for a few minutes and now it runs great! I have ordered a new set of sensors, as over 305,000kms and they have never been changed. Sorry to get off topic, but I wanted to confirm that my clone Tech2 works great to solve the ethanol sensor reset.Yay!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, chris allen said:

Ok, Maybe a tech 2 /clone is not what I need. What would be a decent tool that can handle resetting ethanol content monitor?

AFAIK, you need a bi-directional scan tool.  See if the VXDIAG Nano or something similar meets your needs.

Agree with swathdriver above. What you need is a bi-directional scan tool. But my suggestion is the LAUNCH X431. I had one. It works really good. I found it while reading through articles about bidirectional scan tools buying guide. This one recommend the Launch Pro and I just gave it a try: https://www.obdadvisor.com/best-bidirectional-scan-tool-review/. Thankfully, it's good as reviewed.

I tried to quote the reply but I am not sure I did it the right way or not

• Like 1