In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2021 Sierra DRL Color Problem

Hey all: I have a 2021 Sierra with 6k miles on it. I noticed the other day that my drivers side daytime running light LED has turned a purple color at the top... definitely noticeable and I see it now when sitting behind other cars from the reflection. See picture for reference, it doesn’t show up nearly as noticeable in the picture. Has anyone else noticed a purplish color on their DRL’s? It’s also driving me crazy as they now don’t match in color between left and right. 

1AAE1270-E9FB-48E6-A579-DE64EF501031.jpeg

Thanks... yeah I searched high and low on the internet and couldn’t find any mention of it in forums. I’m worried GM won’t consider it a warranty item. It technically is more cosmetic than a malfunction. But IMO, it’s no different than having a paint blemish. The DRLs should match and shouldn’t change color like that. 

20 minutes ago, 2021 Sierra X31 said:

Thanks... yeah I searched high and low on the internet and couldn’t find any mention of it in forums. I’m worried GM won’t consider it a warranty item. It technically is more cosmetic than a malfunction. But IMO, it’s no different than having a paint blemish. The DRLs should match and shouldn’t change color like that. 

Cosmetic would be that you scratched the lens cleaning it and want it warrantied.  GM will say take a hike.

Your issue is a malfunction of the LED DRL strip.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, newdude said:

Cosmetic would be that you scratched the lens cleaning it and want it warrantied.  GM will say take a hike.

Your issue is a malfunction of the LED DRL strip.  

Thank you. I’ll use that argument if they push back. 

Edited by 2021 Sierra X31

2 hours ago, redwngr said:

Any chance it's just the angle the strip is being viewed from relative to the centreline of the leds in the strip?

Good question. When viewed straight on, it’s very noticeable. At different angles, not so much. My issue is that it’s very noticeably different then the left side, and it didn’t use to be like this. See picture of the left side. Also is a previous picture showing both sides before the issue surfaced. They used to match and no purple. 

940802A1-8229-45E0-B7DA-02ACEB38EA2E.jpeg

7DFFA18B-6EAD-409D-9765-6F8969F99541.jpeg

Oddly enough, when I take a picture from the same angle and distance, the purple on the right side DRL does not show up in the photo. It’s strange. The camera doesn’t provide the true colors of what the naked eye perceives. I’ll take another one in the next day or 2 from the same angle and distance and post it... 

5 hours ago, jhplak325 said:

Looks like someone else has the same issue and posted about it yesterday 

Thanks for linking this! I’ll reply to this thread also and share my picture. 

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Gjohn said:

I recently had this same problem..were you able to get it fixed or did you just leave it? 

I’m still living with it being purple... I’ve been kind of waiting to see if the other one is going to turn also. I’d like them both swapped out. Are both of yours purple or just one?

Try taking a photo with your phone in "pro" mode.  It won't auto-adjust then.

That said, why haven't you brought it in?  My OCD would be killing me

9 hours ago, Rob Mugs said:

Try taking a photo with your phone in "pro" mode.  It won't auto-adjust then.

That said, why haven't you brought it in?  My OCD would be killing me

Because I was hoping my passenger side one would turn purple also so I can get them both swapped out at the same one. Only my drivers side is purple right now. And, my OCD has been killing me. I’ll probably get it scheduled in the next 2-3 weeks when I need my oil changed.