MagneRide reliability

Hi All - former owner of the other brand, I have an opportunity to buy a 2020 Denali w/ 6.2L and 60k miles.  I am trying to learn as much as I can about the GM platform as this is my first GM.  Wonderful forum here.  

I'm struggling to find anything that says "I have 100k+ miles on my MagneRide suspension".  How reliable is Magneride?  Everything I'm reading relates to Magneride failures and people swapping Magneride for more traditional suspensions.  It is just assumed that MagneRide needs to be replaced every 50-60k?  

Looking for any comfort that MagneRide is worth it and is not an absolute pain in the rear.  I keep trucks for a long time and would hope to drive this one for 200k+ miles but if its going to cost $3-4k every 50k miles, I might go another direction.  Fwiw my current daily driver I bought 20 years ago, summer of 2001, to give you a sense of my ownership style.  

Thank you in advance for any help!

• Like 1

To me, the Magneride in the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon ride no different than one without it.  You don't get to really see how Magneride makes a difference until you step into a Corvette or Camaro with it.  On those you WILL notice a ride difference between touring, sport and track.  There's no modes on the 2020 and older SUVs to alter the ride.  

I would get a Yukon without it as its $$$$ to maintain it.  The shocks and struts in the SUVs are lucky to get past 50k.  A Camaro or Corvette?  Totally worth it.  

Edited by newdude

Though really the root of my question relates to whether there examples of MagneRide suspension lasting >50-60k.  I realize its expensive to replace and honestly if/when I replace I'd switch to Fox or something simple.

Not here to debate ride merits.  Not here to debate whether its expensive or not.  Just here to learn if there is a chance I'll hit 100k before needing anything or if by purchasing it with 60k already, I'm facing an immediate suspension bill.  

Thanks all!

I intentionally looked fora Yukon XL without mag-ride.  I didn’t even ask anyone.  Didn’t even test drive one. I went to standard suspension.  Good luck

1 hour ago, whistleblower said:

I've got enough forum experience elsewhere to know what this means.... Though this implies that there is a group in the pro-MagneRide camp..?

I'm not that dark. It means that I don't know but am as interested in the answer as you are. At least that's what it means today. 😉  Welcome to the group! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whistleblower said:

Though really the root of my question relates to whether there examples of MagneRide suspension lasting >50-60k.  I realize its expensive to replace and honestly if/when I replace I'd switch to Fox or something simple.

Not here to debate ride merits.  Not here to debate whether its expensive or not.  Just here to learn if there is a chance I'll hit 100k before needing anything or if by purchasing it with 60k already, I'm facing an immediate suspension bill.  

Thanks all!

We've replaced them in the 30k mi range, 40, 50, etc.  Leaking badly and or the shock fails and stiffens the ride straight up.  

• Like 1

Our 2016 Suburban has a harsh ride if you ask me.  We already had to replace our left front shock due to leaking at 75k miles.  At least our extended warranty covered it.  Which with that repair and the AC condensor, those paid for the extended warranty.

Edited by Black02Silverado

Not Magnetic Ride Control

Adaptive Ride Control (GM RPO code Z45) is not just another name for GM’s incredible Magnetic Ride Control, since ARC does not use magnetic dampers/magneto-rheological fluid. Instead, it uses different (and perhaps less sophisticated) active dampers.

Magneride is rpo Z95

Edited by elcamino

2 hours ago, elcamino said:

2019+ trucks do not have Magneride.

In full disclosure, I'm looking at a 2020 Yukon XL.  I posted in this forum as it appears to be much more active than the Yukon / Suburban forum and I was hoping to get a handful of responses from owners with 2013-2016ish trucks who might give me a sprinkle of hope that this suspension isn't just expensive trash. 

1 hour ago, whistleblower said:

In full disclosure, I'm looking at a 2020 Yukon XL.  I posted in this forum as it appears to be much more active than the Yukon / Suburban forum and I was hoping to get a handful of responses from owners with 2013-2016ish trucks who might give me a sprinkle of hope that this suspension isn't just expensive trash. 

I hated the mag ride. It was awesome in the Camaro and the cadi cts I drove that had it, but the denali I hated it.

it gives so much feedback. You can feel basically running over a quarter in the road. I want my luxo barge to be luxurious, floaty, and silent. I don’t want to know whats going on in the outside world. I want cracks in the road, potholes, and small children to give me zero feedback when I run over them.

• Like 2