Heated Second Row Seats feature will no longer be available

Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra

July 22, 2021

Chevrolet and GMC Dealers:

As promised, we want to continue to keep you in the loop regarding the global, industry-wide shortage of semiconductors.  Due to these shortages, we are announcing the following change to certain light- and heavy-duty full-size pickup trucks:

Heated Second Row Seats:

The Heated Second Row Seats feature will no longer be available on certain 2021 model year:

• Chevrolet Silverado 1500
  • GMC Sierra 1500

And certain 2022 model year:

• Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTD
  • Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 HD
  • GMC Sierra 1500 Limited
  • GMC Sierra 2500/3500 HD

This takes effect starting with vehicles produced on or after July 26, 2021.  By taking this measure, it will enable continued production and delivery of inventory to help respond to the strong customer and dealer demand for our light and heavy-duty pickups as the industry continues to rebound and strengthen.

For orders with a scheduled production date on or after July 26, 2021, GM will build certain light and heavy-duty pickups without the RPO code KA6 – Heated Second Row Outboard Seats and replace with RPO code RFU (for certain 2021 model year Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500) and RGJ (for certain 2022 model year Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 HD and GMC Sierra 2500/3500 HD) – Not Equipped with Heated Second Row Outboard Seats (refer to the table below for trim details and check updated Order Guides, which will go live July 23, 2021). These RPO codes will be reflected on the Dealer Invoice along with an associated $200 MSRP credit, except for certain 2022 model year Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTD and GMC Sierra 1500 Limited.  The Monroney label will include this credit and indicate that the vehicle was built without the Heated Second Row Seat feature.  Chevrolet and GMC are updating all consumer and dealer facing materials as appropriate.

The dealer has the responsibility to and must advise affected sold order customers immediately. In addition, dealers are strongly urged to counsel directly with all customers who purchase affected vehicles to ensure each customer understands its vehicle content.  This change to the availability of Heated Second Row Seats is currently expected to remain in place for the remainder of the 2021 model year for light-duty pickups and a significant portion of the 2022 model year light- and heavy-duty pickups.  A listing of affected trims is listed below and is subject to change by General Motors:

2021 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 1500
LTZ, High Country
 2021 GMC SIERRA 1500
SLT, AT4, Denali
2022 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 1500 LTD
LTZ, High Country
 2022 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 2500/3500 HD
LTZ, High Country
2022 GMC SIERRA 1500 Limited
SLT, AT4, Denali
 2022 GMC SIERRA 2500/3500 HD
SLT, AT4, Denali

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some do and some don't depending on the production date. I was shopping for a 2022 Sierra AT4 HD yesterday. Two of the trucks I was looking at had them, and the one I ended up putting a deposit on says "Not equipped with heated rear seats" and there is actually a $200 credit on the window sticker. I am not bothered by this since there is rarely even anyone on my back seat. I ended up getting the New for 2022 Forest Green AT4 2500 HD. Should land at the dealer in the next few days. It is at 4800 - Rail Ramp Unload. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AUTOGUY said:

Some do and some don't depending on the production date. I was shopping for a 2022 Sierra AT4 HD yesterday. Two of the trucks I was looking at had them, and the one I ended up putting a deposit on says "Not equipped with heated rear seats" and there is actually a $200 credit on the window sticker. I am not bothered by this since there is rarely even anyone on my back seat. I ended up getting the New for 2022 Forest Green AT4 2500 HD. Should land at the dealer in the next few days. It is at 4800 - Rail Ramp Unload. 

Congrats., bet you are excited.  I just ordered a 3500HD Denali so I have a long wait before mine is built and delivered......with rear heated seats, lol

On 8/4/2021 at 5:53 PM, billa9b0ng said:

The bottoms in the second row of my truck are more likely to get heat from a wooden spoon than they are from GM 😅

That sir, is funny as hell.

Let me pose the question, is the wooden spoon mentioned warmed first in the microwave, or between the "cheeks" to get the heat source🤔😬

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Rear heated seats are not deal breaker but I get upset when i see GM is only one to do these cheap games. Like taking away the 10 speed on some models 1500 ( LTZ) when they had it prior year. I get it, the whole chip shortage is messing everything up but it seems like GM has been hit the hardest ? 

• 4 weeks later...

For those that have NOT gotten this option due to micro chip shortage.
have you added it back in, or have the dealer quote and install the missing parts?
(provided they are able to get them in due time I presume)
can we presume the harness is still there?
also would the heating elements still be in the seats?

If successful, do you have a cost, parts list?
Was the PCM needing programming at dealer to activate?

Thanks

On 9/28/2021 at 12:18 PM, f8l vnm said:

Rear heated seats are not deal breaker but I get upset when i see GM is only one to do these cheap games. Like taking away the 10 speed on some models 1500 ( LTZ) when they had it prior year. I get it, the whole chip shortage is messing everything up but it seems like GM has been hit the hardest ? 

knowing a few people in the auto industry or just looking at stats... I'd say of the Big 3 GM is more than heads and shoulders above the competition. They are making "drivable" cars and putting them on the road. Ford's production is down 1/3 at minimum in terms of vehicle sales and they are screwing their suppliers by not fulfilling their orders with them and telling them to shove it. For instance their Chassis stamping is down almost 40% and they have no plans to pay their suppliers that let down despite being contractually obligated. So I believe what you are calling "cheap games" is GM making their vehicles run and at least fulfilling some kind of demand. They are the leader of this in the U.S. 

On 10/26/2021 at 7:14 AM, Mic_ said:

For those that have NOT gotten this option due to micro chip shortage.
have you added it back in, or have the dealer quote and install the missing parts?
(provided they are able to get them in due time I presume)
can we presume the harness is still there?
also would the heating elements still be in the seats?

If successful, do you have a cost, parts list?
Was the PCM needing programming at dealer to activate?

Thanks

I looked at a 2022 AT4 today and there's nothing there so I say no.  If there was an easy way to post a pic to the old ass site I'd post one for you to see.