Pulled trigger on diablo 7222 - r. Mainly to disble afm/dfm, read codes and change tire size.

Kind of wondering if programmers when used with canned tunes can damage engine or lead to premature wear/problems? How safe are these newer programmers assuming you dont go trying to customize a tune?

Havent seen much posted on the programmer but i can report back how it works if anyone interested.

17 hours ago, lpg said:

Pulled trigger on diablo 7222 - r. Mainly to disble afm/dfm, read codes and change tire size.

Kind of wondering if programmers when used with canned tunes can damage engine or lead to premature wear/problems? How safe are these newer programmers assuming you dont go trying to customize a tune?

Havent seen much posted on the programmer but i can report back how it works if anyone interested.

I’m interested! Tell me more. Is it worth the $600+ ???  Can u tell the difference? What was the down time? 

I had a Hypertech on my last truck and loved it. Gave it (from what Hypertech said) a +27HP difference from stock with all stock parts. I had exhaust and S&B intake and it would let loose the 22s at 30 if I stepped on it. Set governor to 130 also. Went in for service switched it back over and never had an issue.  The nice thing was it only cost $325!  

Thanks

1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

I’m interested! Tell me more. Is it worth the $600+ ???  Can u tell the difference? What was the down time? 

I had a Hypertech on my last truck and loved it. Gave it (from what Hypertech said) a +27HP difference from stock with all stock parts. I had exhaust and S&B intake and it would let loose the 22s at 30 if I stepped on it. Set governor to 130 also. Went in for service switched it back over and never had an issue.  The nice thing was it only cost $325!  

Thanks

Just got in mail, gotta send computer out and do the whole swap. So not sure yet

I'd be interested on your feedback as well. I've been thinking on going this route to address the couple codes from headers.

I bought a back-up ECM to tune, as I couldn't do without my truck, even for a few days.

• 3 weeks later...

It specifically says on Diablo's website you have to send your ORIGINAL ECM, you can't send them a different ECM. You can't swap another ECM into your truck as a backup either as it will freak out having a different VIN in the ECM than the other computers in the truck. I see the rest of the Holley owned companies now offer the same setup.

29 minutes ago, GETGONE said:

It specifically says on Diablo's website you have to send your ORIGINAL ECM, you can't send them a different ECM. You can't swap another ECM into your truck as a backup either as it will freak out having a different VIN in the ECM than the other computers in the truck. I see the rest of the Holley owned companies now offer the same setup.

Also the chip shortage probably makes it nearly impossible to get an ECM.

Jay

I picked up the ECU for $250 and would have it reflashed to my vin.

I can always resell it if nothing else, but having it to tune, whichever route I decide to take is far better than not having the truck to drive for me. 

HPtuners vs. Diablo looks to be an expensive decision either way and weighing out the pros/cons, since I've had discussion with local tuner, on the HPtuner side and prior to looking into this Diablo option.

Edited by DenaliSS
Spelling

I wouldn't call it a hack, that's a perfectly good way to get around that feature. It's no different than doing that stuff to PC computers.

Did you speak with an engineer at Diablo to see how they doing it?

The C8's are still on lock down for now because it's like a rolling code encryption that GM has.

The older chip isn't as powerful as the new encrypted ones from what I was told by a person from Livernois which is why I would call it a hack. Lingenfelter is using this in their tuning attempts. Livernois is working on cracking the software encryption. I haven't spoken to anyone from Diablo but did some research on how they were managing to bypass the encryption and it requires some special equipment to bypass which is why you have to send in your ECU to them. Then you can use the hand held unit to program like you would the older vehicles.