Catch Can Results

AE1M

Broke down and installed a JLT catch can in 2016 HC with 60K miles.  After 1,000 miles, mostly 60mph+ I had one half ounce (.5 oz) in the can.  Is this what should be expected or better or worse?  Also, despite some other posts and You Tube vids, I hear no hiss or other noise at all.  Phone is close to engine, so engine sounds much louder than it really is!  I added the small muffler clamps, just makes me feel better.   I wish they were quick connects for ease of cleaning though.

Edited by AE1M
Typo

I had one on before , its just a band aid to the real problem... 

the cheaper route i found was using a set of 5/8" valve cover breather filters. i bought mine from UNI , then you plug the ports going to the Air intake before the Throttle body with 5/8" waterheater caps. this stops any un-metered air getting past the MAF messing with your AFR and giving you a shaky rough idle

Edited by pokismoki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pokismoki said:

I had one on before , its just a band aid to the real problem... 

the cheaper route i found was using a set of 5/8" valve cover breather filters. i bought mine from UNI , then you plug the ports going to the Air intake before the Throttle body with 5/8" waterheater caps. this stops any un-metered air getting past the MAF messing with your AFR and giving you a shaky rough idle

Just to verify, I’m not a mechanic.  If you plug the intake port  (I assume where the catch can output goes) do you also plug the PCV port?  What happens to the blow by oil particles that would have ended up in the catch can?   Will the truck pass emissions and/or throw codes?

pcv port remains stock. take all the catch can stuff off. I mearly disable the valve cover vent system, recirculation into the Throttle body

it will still pass emmissions, but it will fail the visual inspection, easy to reinstall the valvecover lines and undo the the breathers durring emmisions time. No, no codes have been thrown after doing this 1 month ago.

the oil consumption is either the piston oil rings arent sealing well. usually this is the problem with the oil consumption on the LS,, or there is another problem.  some of this can be tied to the cheap dexOS oil GM recommends and the extremely long oil change durrations GM also recommends

the 8000-10,000 Oilchanges and high engine temps causes the DexOS oil to gum up and create a coked sludge around the ring lands, this reduces oil control

Edited by pokismoki
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AE1M said:

Just to verify, I’m not a mechanic.  If you plug the intake port  (I assume where the catch can output goes) do you also plug the PCV port?  What happens to the blow by oil particles that would have ended up in the catch can?   Will the truck pass emissions and/or throw codes?

Catch can will not pass visual check in CA.

41 minutes ago, CrawlSlow said:

Catch can will not pass visual check in CA.

In MA, they dont even open hood, all done by OBD, lights check, ball joint check, tire check, wipers check.  They might open hood if they suspect after market HIDs or something unusual.   Not sure if CC is illegal or not.

• Like 1

Well... I think passenger side pulls, drivers side vents and the pcv valve pukes. So I could see it helping with idle.

I wonder if you could just run a hose from the pcv valve to catch can and vent it, eliminating the return line. 

OK, I've read a lot of posts about a catch can but no one ever mentions the true advantages.
Why are people doing this? Just because they can?
Seriously, what is the upside compared to keeping the current PCV system in place?
Is just something to say "Hey, look! I installed a catch can!"
Really, what is the deal?
I think I'll pass ...
I did find this, though:

I think I'll still take a pass.

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well this whole thread is pissing me off.  After all the raving about catch cans, and now seeing 1/2 oz of oil in there that would have been directly injected past my valves, everyone seems to be ranting AGAINST their use.  WTF is going on?

Is it not beneficial to stop this blowby oil from gunking up the intake valves?

Bob

• Like 1