Touch Screen has a mind of its own

It is the digitizer, plain and simple. Since it is attached to the screen, GM replaces the whole unit.  Replacing the digitizer can be done. There is a write up on this several threads back.

Edited by Capt Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Mine does the same thing. Random ghost touches. It started out with just changing to the clock screen and now it messes up everything. Recently it’s been changing the language all the time - sure makes the drive interesting.

I’ve tried everything mentioned here - except for replacing the entire screen. I’m not sure if I want to spend the money on another crap screen from GM or just buy an aftermarket one, so I don’t have to take any chances with this happening again. Does anyone have recommendations for aftermarket displays?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 6:31 PM, James Kelly said:

I have the same problem, but when ever I take it in the damn thing is fine.  Screen klicks all day long and my XM changes stations all by itself..  I can't believe it and only 37k on the thing.

Mine crapped out around the same mileage. If you have all your XM stations preset, you can control them via the left rocker on your steering wheel should you decide to just unplug the digitizer. It's free (if you feel comfortable doing things on your truck) but you give up the touch screen ability. It's not for everyone. I spend coin on lubricants and suspension parts/tires but I'm not interested in dropping money on a radio so.... I disconnected the ribbon cable to the screen and let the four winds blow.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 5:45 PM, Capt Bob said:

Mine crapped out around the same mileage. If you have all your XM stations preset, you can control them via the left rocker on your steering wheel should you decide to just unplug the digitizer. It's free (if you feel comfortable doing things on your truck) but you give up the touch screen ability. It's not for everyone. I spend coin on lubricants and suspension parts/tires but I'm not interested in dropping money on a radio so.... I disconnected the ribbon cable to the screen and let the four winds blow.

Well I bought the bullet and bought a new touchscreen to replace the old one.  Took me about two hours because I was super careful with the new one.  Had to completely clean the old frame that the screen came off.  Thank god I had a heat gun because it was really glued on.  Had to watch the orientation of the screen really well in order to get it on right.  So far I'm happy with the outcome.  I was pretty easy but took some time to make sure everything was put back the correct way.

3 minutes ago, James Kelly said:

Well I bought the bullet and bought a new touchscreen to replace the old one.  Took me about two hours because I was super careful with the new one.  Had to completely clean the old frame that the screen came off.  Thank god I had a heat gun because it was really glued on.  Had to watch the orientation of the screen really well in order to get it on right.  So far I'm happy with the outcome.  I was pretty easy but took some time to make sure everything was put back the correct way.

Could you share with me, the cost of the screen that you got and the P/N & source you used?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I haven’t tried to have mine repaired, as I rarely use the radio or the navigation. What mine does is most noticeable when using the navigation. It acts like a Ghost touches the screen about an inch or two off center to the left. Sporadically. Sometimes it will do it 20 times in 20 minutes, sometimes it goes for days without doing it. It puts people on hold when I’m on the phone with them, and is really annoying enough that I’ve considered just getting a new pickup instead of spending thousands on a “fix” for what seems to be a low spot on the screen itself. Has anyone else got a ghost in the machine, or is it just me?

17 hours ago, DVST8TR said:

I haven’t tried to have mine repaired, as I rarely use the radio or the navigation. What mine does is most noticeable when using the navigation. It acts like a Ghost touches the screen about an inch or two off center to the left. Sporadically. Sometimes it will do it 20 times in 20 minutes, sometimes it goes for days without doing it. It puts people on hold when I’m on the phone with them, and is really annoying enough that I’ve considered just getting a new pickup instead of spending thousands on a “fix” for what seems to be a low spot on the screen itself. Has anyone else got a ghost in the machine, or is it just me?

People posting in this thread have or did have this issue too. You won’t spend thousands of dollars to fix it. I fixed mine for $38.00. That’s it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend I changed the touch screen on my 2017 GMC Denali, no more issues with changing channels, flipping to maps, annoying, clicking sound. Total time 1.5 HRs, total cost $35.79. Much better than the 1100 dealer quote. 

EBAY part number DJ080PA-01A 8" 55 pin touch screen for Chevy / GMC MYLINK.  

• Like 3

So my 2017 has been doing the same thing. I showed dealership a video of it and he told me it’s because the OnStar antenna seal is loose so moisture probably got inside and corroded connections. Said $900 to replace the antenna. That makes no sense to me and it’s loose I guess you could say but you have to wiggle it pretty hard to get it to move around. 

so has anyone actually had this issue fixed and what did it end up being? I don’t plan on keeping truck more than 2 more years so I’m not gonna do anything super expo to fix. It’s a mild inconvenience. 

On 3/27/2023 at 10:02 AM, Chief520 said:

This weekend I changed the touch screen on my 2017 GMC Denali, no more issues with changing channels, flipping to maps, annoying, clicking sound. Total time 1.5 HRs, total cost $35.79. Much better than the 1100 dealer quote. 

So was yours also changing the screen on the cluster? If so I’ll just order the touch screen from eBay and fix myself

On 4/3/2023 at 2:17 PM, irish_fools said:

So was yours also changing the screen on the cluster? If so I’ll just order the touch screen from eBay and fix myself

If you read through the thread you'll see that the screen digitizer is the culprit. You can either replace the screen (with new attached digitizer) or you can just disconnect the digitizer cable. Yes, the DIC is also affected.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2016 Sierra 2500 Denali that has the ghost touch issue. I replaced the digitizer this past weekend which did fix the issue of half of the screen not responding to touch but I still have the random jumping around/ghost touch issue. Even when I turn the radio off it I still hear the random “click” sounds that it makes when it’s jumping around by itself. Since the digitizer replacement didn’t resolve the issue, what should be checked next ? 

7 hours ago, Not that old yet 0508 said:

I have a 2016 Sierra 2500 Denali that has the ghost touch issue. I replaced the digitizer this past weekend which did fix the issue of half of the screen not responding to touch but I still have the random jumping around/ghost touch issue. Even when I turn the radio off it I still hear the random “click” sounds that it makes when it’s jumping around by itself. Since the digitizer replacement didn’t resolve the issue, what should be checked next ? 

That's a good question. I would have to think the screen would be next, but I could be wrong.

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2023 at 10:02 AM, Chief520 said:

It did not work for me. Any other ideas?