Touch Screen has a mind of its own

My 2017 Silverado has the typical touchscreen radio.  Noticed after changing my battery recently my radio has started operating on its own.  I can turn it on and set my channel and then i hear the touch tones and it will change channels or go to maps or other screens on its own.  Ive tried totally resetting to factory settings and that lasted about a day and it still continues to change channels or got to different screens on its own. Ive recalibrated the touch screen several times to no avail.  Has anyone had this same issue?

On 9/21/2021 at 12:03 PM, vance olvey said:

My 2017 Silverado has the typical touchscreen radio.  Noticed after changing my battery recently my radio has started operating on its own.  I can turn it on and set my channel and then i hear the touch tones and it will change channels or go to maps or other screens on its own.  Ive tried totally resetting to factory settings and that lasted about a day and it still continues to change channels or got to different screens on its own. Ive recalibrated the touch screen several times to no avail.  Has anyone had this same issue?

Just now, Billhudson308 said:

Yes, I had a service appointment today; the advisor told me that the technician found that the display needs replacement. They will call and schedule an installation appointment when they receive the new unit. I thought it was the IO5 HMI module itself or wire connection. They tried updates for the HMI, to no avail.  It must be something physically wrong with the touch screen display. I’ve seen YouTube videos that show touching the “blue” button on the mirror and another that shows pulling the 20 amp radio fuse, wait 10 seconds and re-insert the fuse to reset the radio. Search YouTube for that. It didn’t work in my case. Good Luck. 

• Like 1

Exactly what mine was doing the time it was replaced prior to this service request. Clicking behind the unit, jumping around, starting Pandora by itself, etc. I will let you all know what the technician did to rectify this repeated problem. I had to sign-off on a $150 diagnostic fee, but the advisor will reimburse that after the repair is completed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billhudson308 said:

Exactly what mine was doing the time it was replaced prior to this service request. Clicking behind the unit, jumping around, starting Pandora by itself, etc. I will let you all know what the technician did to rectify this repeated problem. I had to sign-off on a $150 diagnostic fee, but the advisor will reimburse that after the repair is completed. 

how many miles are you at??

Does your screen in the middle of the cluster change on its own also? Mine goes from Info to radio. Touch screen also changes to various screens and jumps around when on navigation.

Started at 74,000 miles. 

Dealer wants to change the HMI @ $1100

Yes, and what’s really bad is the screen continually flashes from settings - to radio - to media - to settings, etc. And it clicks with every screen change AND   it flashes the cluster screen which is known as the DI (Driver Information Screen). I have a case number assigned by GM Customer Assistance and I’m currently waiting for a return contact call from a senior advisor. I will update after the call back. An advisor by the name of Jose wrote that they will contact me in 24-48 hours. We’ll see if this is true. Stay tuned. Please.

Edited by Billhudson308

I am loosing confidance in GM's future brand, no way will i purchase the next generation truck or EV's from them. they cant make techy stuff reliable.. maybe GM needs to downgrade everything to less technology. whats the point of this crap , just make the base model worktruck reliable and simple..

• Like 1