Dash too bright at night. No auto dim.

This is a 2019 Silverado LD with LT trim. Basically a K2, since it's an LD. 

The dash is blinding at night. I have to lower the level with the thumb knob near the light switch. 

My 2016 Colorado automatically dimmed the dash at night, but this truck is not auto dimming the dash. I looked through the infotainment menus and can't find anything related to this. Am I missing something? Or doesn't this truck do that? 

Thanks!

No it should auto dim. But if you turn it back up during the day it wont go back to that setting. It's also possible that little hemisphere in the center of dash has some sort of cleaning product on it (plastic/leather cleaner etc.) Or more more likely, you have something sitting right on top of it?

That sensor determines the output of the dash, and lights. 

Edited by M1ck3y
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, M1ck3y said:

No it should auto dim. But if you turn it back up during the day it wont go back to that setting. It's also possible that little hemisphere in the center of dash has some sort of cleaning product on it (plastic/leather cleaner etc.) Or more more likely, you have something sitting right on top of it?

That sensor determines the output of the dash, and lights. 

Thanks for the replies guys! 

Nothing blocking the sensor. 

I'm adamant about clutter in my vehicles. There's zero clutter....anywhere. 

So, your saying if I mess with it during the day, it won't dim later. I'm assuming if the truck is turned off, it will reset. 

I thought maybe there was a setting buried in the menu somewhere, but I couldn't find anything. Maybe a choice of manual or auto dash dimming. 

Funny.....I noticed during my search that there are a lot of people that hate the auto dimming dash! 

I think it depends on where you drive. I'm guessing city folks don't need the dash dimmed at night since there are street lights everywhere. But us rural folks are in complete darkness, so the dash can be blinding if too bright. 

• Like 2

During the day, with the lights off, the dash will glow to maximum regardless of the dial.  At night, rotate the dial to what is comfortable; I leave mine all the way reduced.  Never touch it again.  Day will be bright, and as soon as the headlights automatically turn on, the dash will dim.

Edited by 16LT4
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, 16LT4 said:

During the day, with the lights off, the dash will glow to maximum regardless of the dial.  At night, rotate the dial to what is comfortable; I leave mine all the way reduced.  Never touch it again.  Day will be bright, and as soon as the headlights automatically turn on, the dash will dim.

Good info....... I didn't know that

My 2019 (same cluster as your 2019 LD) is set to full brightness 24/7 and always auto-dims when the headlights are turned on.  Something smells wrong with your cluster or BCM.  Do the radio and climate control illuminated buttons illuminate when your headlights turn on?

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 9:51 PM, BlaineBug said:

My 2019 (same cluster as your 2019 LD) is set to full brightness 24/7 and always auto-dims when the headlights are turned on.  Something smells wrong with your cluster or BCM.  Do the radio and climate control illuminated buttons illuminate when your headlights turn on?

Thanks for the reply.

Everything illuminates.

I'm still here, just haven't had a chance to mess with it. When I do, i will update. 

• Like 1