Tell me why this isn’t a HD truck feature.

Guest Phobby

Assume you’re hooked up to your tag along or gooseneck trailer, loading or unloading XYZ equipment. 
     When I load equipment, I always apply my parking break and chock tires. 
my idea- going to load equipment and the truck knows you have a trailer by 7 way plugged in= apply the truck parking break and it applies the trailer brakes? 
    To simple and convenient of a great safety option? The new trucks are electric parking break, how difficult could it be for GM to program it? 

Edited by Phobby
Spelling

Great idea. Atleast when vehicle is running. It takes power to apply trailer brakes, don't see a problem with it. I have no idea if the magnets would over heat, if they had constant power.

It is a good idea, but it only really works on a tractor/trailer set up with air brakes, and at times that will fail, injuring or killing people when you have a runaway semi. With commercial rigs, they are required by DOT to keep them in check. Most DIYers would probably not maintain the system (likely trailer) to keep it up to standards. 

I think the big 3 have considered so many things for convenience, but never put the ideas into production after their lawyers shoot them down. 

• Like 1

Park brake on air semi brake systems is spring applied.

No air supply or electric supply in use for parking -- or when disconnected.

Seems the problem is really a trailer issue?

More federal regs could fix that....

Guest Phobby
23 hours ago, gemarsh said:

Great idea. Atleast when vehicle is running. It takes power to apply trailer brakes, don't see a problem with it. I have no idea if the magnets would over heat, if they had constant power.

i thought the same about overheating but yesterday on my 7hr drive of combined weight 24,700 I spent three hours in 0-40mph stop and go. Every time I slowed back down or set with my foot on the brake for who knows how long the trailer brakes applied with the truck. 

If the trailer brakes on the 10ton gooseneck can handle that anytime for as long and often as I need. 
i kinda doubt it would hurt them to be applied while I loaded a trailer for 10min. 

if the truck parking brake applied the trailer brakes- you never forget to release them and the trailer brake input dies when you turn off the truck bc the brake controller is on its own relay and fuse. 

Guest Phobby
21 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

It is a good idea, but it only really works on a tractor/trailer set up with air brakes, and at times that will fail, injuring or killing people when you have a runaway semi. With commercial rigs, they are required by DOT to keep them in check. Most DIYers would probably not maintain the system (likely trailer) to keep it up to standards. 

I think the big 3 have considered so many things for convenience, but never put the ideas into production after their lawyers shoot them down. 

People are always the problem. Some people like me that take care of their stuff and appreciate things like Trailer brakes working on a 10ton trailer. It would be nice to know I had more than the rear axle tires from rolling or sliding. Four more extra brakes and eight more tires locked on my trailer would be pretty stable.