2000 GMC Sierra 1500 won't shift into 3rd

27 minutes ago, Sharpz said:

I am glad that you are in line to get your truck up and moving again.  I am just curious why this shop didnt have a rebuilt tranny already if thats all they do.  The 3 year unlimited is pretty standard here for a rebuilt tranny.  You can get a rebuilt w/ new torque converter w/ a 1 year unlimited and your core deposit for about 800 bucks, but the upgraded tranny w/ the 3 year is the way to go.

He said they sometimes do have them ready to go but said he now just had a core.  They do good work I had a Dodge Ram that had the tranny rebuilt by them previously(truck got wrecked not my fault).  This truck replaced that Ram.

9 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

1 question? Were these trans. serviced?

With the miles on this truck most likely but do not know for sure from previous owner or owners.  That is always an important question when first getting a used truck is if/when was the tranny last serviced/rebuilt?  And what specifically was serviced?

In the 20k miles I have had the truck I have not had the Transmission serviced.  

1 hour ago, Sharpz said:

I am glad that you are in line to get your truck up and moving again.  I am just curious why this shop didnt have a rebuilt tranny already if thats all they do.  The 3 year unlimited is pretty standard here for a rebuilt tranny.  You can get a rebuilt w/ new torque converter w/ a 1 year unlimited and your core deposit for about 800 bucks, but the upgraded tranny w/ the 3 year is the way to go.

Why would you rebuild a trans before a customer walks in through the door? 

1 hour ago, shakenfake said:

Why would you rebuild a trans before a customer walks in through the door? 

because genius that's the only thing they do.  You might gather that the 4l60E is probably the most common one they do, so much so they had 1 core, which if that's all they do, I would wonder why only 1, but whatever.  If your business is transmissions, then you have some built, its the way it is, or are you the guy who goes to a tire shop and they have to order your tires, or perhaps when you get an oil change you tell them what oil  you want then go back in a few days so they can get it?  I am not really sure why you asked me this question, but whatever.   It would seem to me that if they were going to rebuild a tranny, they would remove the one from your truck, rebuild that one and then put it back in, not use a core from someone else that is not rebuilt yet, but again whatever.   I could understand them putting another core in from an already rebuilt one though.

16 minutes ago, Sharpz said:

because genius that's the only thing they do.  You might gather that the 4l60E is probably the most common one they do, so much so they had 1 core, which if that's all they do, I would wonder why only 1, but whatever.  If your business is transmissions, then you have some built, its the way it is, or are you the guy who goes to a tire shop and they have to order your tires, or perhaps when you get an oil change you tell them what oil  you want then go back in a few days so they can get it?  I am not really sure why you asked me this question, but whatever.   It would seem to me that if they were going to rebuild a tranny, they would remove the one from your truck, rebuild that one and then put it back in, not use a core from someone else that is not rebuilt yet, but again whatever.   I could understand them putting another core in from an already rebuilt one though.

What I do know for a fact is this shop is VERY reputable and has been around a very long time.  They gave me that option to rebuild mine(meaning truck in shop for 5-7 days) or they can use the core they have, rebuild and when it is ready just swap out with mine and my truck in shop just 1-2 days.  They do either or it seems. I am the one that chose for them to just use the core they have and when it is ready just swap with mine.  

I have done research and this shop is the best around.  I am sure there are times when they do have some ready to go, this shop stays busy I do know that.

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2022 at 5:35 PM, Sharpz said:

Oil change and transmission rebuilds are two different things. 

Tell me you don't know what you are talking about without telling me you don't know what you are talking about again boomer.

Iv had a few transmissions rebuilt. It’s never a swap. It’s usually a day. We had a salvage yard years ago. You get a used one you get charge a core charge. We used to sell the cores. I’m sure large mail order shops have them ready. The local guys are rebuilding yours. 

On 2/5/2022 at 9:19 AM, richard wysong said:

Happy Motoring!!! Any surprises from the trans shop?

Thanks and not sure yet due to they just pulled out and swapped with newly built transmission per my request.  I told them to let me know the carnage once they get to tearing that one down.  Once I do I will no doubt share the info.  

On 1/22/2022 at 4:05 PM, Brenden Burnham said:

So an update.  I took it out this morning in case possibly it was something that had maybe got wet and dried off and possibly correcting the issue, I had this happen with getting a spark plug wire wet once threw engine code and misfire but ended up drying up and correcting itself(was on a dodge ram I had).  First two minutes of driving I was happy.  Felt normal it shifted to 2nd and then it actually shifted to third, I was like YESSSSS issue gone.  This was unlike yesterday where it would not shift to third at all.  However it never shifted to 4th so my the thought of the transmission actually being bad became more of a reality and not just a faulty wire or solenoid, or something electrical.

After it warmed up a bit(driving about 5 minutes), it got worse and I noticed it started slipping.  Would go to high rev's before sometimes shifting to second and same thing going to third.  In second it would sometimes go to 3k+ rpm's and backing up on the throttle would sometimes put it in third.  This was a hit and miss. Same thing going from 2nd to 3rd gear.  Sometimes it would go sometimes I would have to let up off the throttle and would eventually shift.

So in my mind the Tranny for sure needs a complete rebuild or replacement.  Something I cannot do on my own in garage.  Called one shop and want's $3200 for tranny rebuilt.  Wish I knew someone with a shop here that could lift and help me do the swap if that was the case I would probably take it on.  If not probably going to sell the truck to someone that has the capability to do so.  Just really sucks the motor and everything else seems great no issues drives really good(before tranny issue).  Second time I have had a tranny go out on one of these trucks.  Previous was a 1999 Silverado 1500 STL.  Just really frustrated at this point.  

If you like the truck, you could definitely replace the transmission yourself with a reman.  I’ve done a trailblazer before without much trouble.  Also did a Geo Prism outside blocked up on the ground, rolling around on a sheet of plywood.  But I was in my 20s for that one.  Set your limits to avoid mission creep.  Rear seal to u-joints, possibly motor mounts.

On 2/12/2022 at 4:58 PM, EightTrackHits said:

Just after I typed my last, I noticed that you elected to keep it.  I hope it works out.

Yes I sure did I just needed to get over the frustration period was sure I was going to keep it.  Am glad so.  Have had for over a week and so far so good drives great.  I just get frustrated when it is a job that I cannot tackle on my own and this was one of them.