Torsion bar wear limits

I think you are refering to the sway bar, there are no rubbers on a torsion bar which is basicly the spring. it mounts in the middle of the truck and goes thru the rear of the lower control arm. it is adjustable for ride height

3 hours ago, richard wysong said:

Torsion bars don't wear out so there's no spec; if you think there's excessive clearance compared to the other side the problem is probably the control arm

Agreed. It is said that everything has a specification. Well I don't KNOW about that... However....

Anything  that's not spec'ed or spelled out in technical data is left to the experience or "common sense" of the observer.

The concept of "common sense" is much debated and will always be; why, I don't know.  "Common Sense" is that knowledge that is gained though experience ("lessons learned in life") dealing (repairing, replacing, ordering parts for, etc. the list is probably endless) with general and specific situations in the context of the activity.  A person has to decide on their own, based on their experience or "common sense" if a part or sub-assembly is capable or fit to fulfill the purpose for which it was intended and designed. This situation will add (and by now added) to your knowledge of torsion bars specifically and to a lot of other situations you will later encounter.

Edited by dna9656
I didn't like it.

When I was installing a lift kit I noticed the ridge of the torsion hex was about 3/8" over on the flat of the control arm hex. The concern is that the bar might slip  in the control arm hex and that side of the truck would drop. I thought there might be a go-no go dimension that I could use to measure the wear.

Thank for the help.

I suppose it's possible if there was excess clearance there that the end of the bar would wear but you would think it would make a bunch of noise if its loose. I tried to remove 1 once and couldn't get it out of the socket it was so tight and rusted that I took the bar out still attached to  the arm so you may have an issue there where you would want to replace whatevers worn