White residue build up

Hows the oil look?  Drain the oil after it sits overnight WITH OUT starting it and see if theres coolant in it. it will be the first thing out the hole as it's heavier than oil. if there's coolant and the oil looks like chocolate milk change it and start the engine just long enough to flush the old oil from the bearings otherwise you will be rebuilding or replacing the engine after you find the coolant leak which could be anything from an intake manifold gasket to a cracked block or head. if you have been driving it with coolant in the oil you may find with fresh oil you have no pressure when the motor warms up as antifreeze has destroyed the crankshaft bearings

6 hours ago, Mickey Da folk said:

I have white residue build up on my oil filler tube neck and cap. I also loose coolant and have to refill reservoir every couple days. This started to happen after I put radiator flush in my system and flushed it any thoughts?

Iv had that happen years ago when I did a flush on a truck I purchased. I noticed the water in the radiator was funky while checking for antifreeze. I did a flush. My most recent Avalanche without a flush did the same. With each I started with the easiest fix. Bars leak. My latest the Avalanche so far so good. One of the joys of buying used. 

my truck was using small amounts of coolant for months with no signs of leakage. I found the leak while delivering a trailer on my way to Baltimore the intake gasket blew at 2am on a Sunday morning about 100 miles from home . they would have towed the truck home with my AAA but not the trailer so I ended up having to do the repair on the side of the road. there was a 24hr Walmart within walking distance for oil, chemicals and compressed air in a can.  by the time I got it apart the NAPA store in Middletown Ct was opening and delivered all the parts  I needed. changed the oil 3 times before continuing. no leaks since but the pressure from the sudden loss of coolant into the crankcase did crack the timing cover

Of course look for any external leaks such as water pump gaskets or water pump itself. Plus heater core or hoses.

But keep this issue in mind. You're in the correct years to possibly be involved.

https://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/148

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bluegorilla/2008-12-05_142924_Coolant_loss_5.3.pdf

Edited by txab
  • Like 1

I went through a similar situation after replacing head gaskets, only my filler neck turned orange due to Dexcool.  I also had water droplets on the underside of the oil cap.  The issue for me was a cracked head.  Yours may be something else.  What vehicle is this issue on?  I posted a link to my thread; the title is a little misleading as to why it relates to your issue.  I fixed my initial leak, which was a coolant leak between the head and block, but unfortunately during the process, I bought some remanufactured heads to avoid a common crack, and one of those was cracked.  

Good Luck!