2016 Silverado 6L80e filter seal puller

So I have 45000 or so miles and decided to do drop the pan and replace the filter in the 6spd trans.  I was looking for a seal remover tool but could not locate one so I decided to make my own from suggestions I saw on the net.  I purchased a 12: 3/4 metal pipe with the 3/4 NPT thread on both ends.  Cost about 6 bucks, I also picked up a Tee fitting and I had a 5in section of 3/4 I reused.

I seal is about 1/2 inch total height so took the 12: pipe and I cut about 7/16 off the threads.  I did this so it would not go into the trans past the seal an mess it up.  I had 2.5 lb weight I used as a slide hammer, it fits perfectly on the 3/4 pipe.

I assembled the thing with the weight and Tee with the additional 5in pipe and threaded it directly into the seal in the trans, as soon as all the threads on the pipe were inside the seal the seal began to rotate.  At this point I used the 2.5lb weight and with two drops the seal popped right out.  I was amazed how well it worked.

20220424_174254.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

nice work! I cheated on my 14 and just used an old wood chisel that was super skinny to carefully get next to the lip on the valve body and hit it toward the center of the seal then once I got it pushed in enough I used a hard pair of needle nose pliers to grab and pull it out. Putting the seal in I just used the back end of a 1/2" shank impact socket that was the same diameter of the seal and banged it up in the valve body.