Brand new truck-Transmission issues

This sure is not what I wanted my first post to be!

I finally picked up my new truck after a 6 month wait (2022 Sierra 2500HD doublecab 4x). Drove 25 miles of happiness. Parked for a couple of hours and when leaving parking brake didn't want to let go. Once released, drove away and between 1st and 2nd gear it went neutral and revved up before catching 2nd and surging forward. It won't go past 2nd gear. Pulled over and tried a restart. Same issue. Also found it will now not go into reverse- it revs the engine, then almost dies, shuddering, then revs to 4k again and settles down. All in reverse and my foot on the brake. 

Parked it in front of the dealer service shop with a check engine light and 31 total miles. 

Not freaking happy. It's real pretty though lol

I'll update with results. Anybody else had this issue?

Thanks, 

Chris

20220429_184709.jpg

• Sad 1

Dealer says it's P0777 code for the solenoids. They pulled the module and tested the coils. Several solenoids are bad and they are replacing the whole control module. Parts are 1-2 weeks out.

Hurry up and wait again...

• Like 2

If its any consolation, I had a very similar scenario on my 2014 with a 5.3.  Replaced a control module and its been problem free for 85,000 miles.  With all the electronics on everything with wheels its bound to happen.  Sucky scenario after the wait to get the truck in the first place.  Im still playing the waiting game on a 22 I ordered.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The dealer received and replaced the TCM and the problem persists. They have "condemned" the transmission and are going to replace the whole thing. Of course new transmissions are on backorder. Probably another month. So I'm going to have to make the first payment and not even have the damned truck. 

• Sad 1

Glad they are replacing the transmission assembly.  Hard to know what damage was done during the "slipping" condition. 

Sorry you have to wait so long, but seems worthwhile.  Were they at least able to get you into a loaner vehicle of some type to keep you "Uber free"?

13 minutes ago, sheath said:

Glad they are replacing the transmission assembly.  Hard to know what damage was done during the "slipping" condition. 

Sorry you have to wait so long, but seems worthwhile.  Were they at least able to get you into a loaner vehicle of some type to keep you "Uber free"?

I am too though its super frustrating and I'll always be suspect of the trans now. My current truck (glad I didn't sell it yet!) 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 8spd ZF has been great for 80k miles. I really hoped GM would have put the 10spd in but when I read not til 24' I went ahead and ordered the truck.

I asked for a loaner and they laughed at me, saying they hadn't got any new loaners for at least 8 months. I'm going to push them for a few oil changes at least.

@Black02Silverado,

I 100% agree. Way too many electronics! And everything is locked down so you can't adjust/upgrade much.

• Like 2

I'll just continue piling up parts to install once I get it back.

So far:

Leer 650 folding bed cover

Magnum steps

Tailgate step lights

Tailgatefix combo

More bed LEDs

Looking at camera systems since my parking sensors were held back :(

• 3 weeks later...

New transmission installed. I picked up the truck yesterday and all seems good. Fingers crossed. 

I installed the Magnum steps in the dark with my LED headlamp last night. All done in 90 minutes :)

Back at the dealer for detailing since they had it for a month.

Edited by H20ENG
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Transmission has been fantastic thus far. Just turned 6400 miles. It is way better than my Ram 8 speed, which was always a gear or two too high and the power lagged when trying to downshift. Hopefully the upcoming gasser 10 speed works great. I really wanted this truck with a 10 speed but couldn't wait for it any longer. The 6 speed has been great so no regrets.

• Like 2

The majority of failures on the 6 speeds is the torque converters and a few other parts being under engineered or inadequate for the service. Once the TC goes bad it wipes out the pump and everything else with it. 

2 hours ago, 64BAwagon said:

The majority of failures on the 6 speeds is the torque converters and a few other parts being under engineered or inadequate for the service. Once the TC goes bad it wipes out the pump and everything else with it. 

Are you talking about failures of the version of 6L90E on these actual trucks, which has some torque converter design improvements intended to address past failures, or are you talking about the general history of the 6L90E?  Thanks

I love my 6L90E.  And I'm sure the 10 speed will help out in those in between gear shifts where the engine can bog down a bit.  But still, I love my 6L90E.  I'm just hoping the 10 speed will be reliable and worthy and keep the chevy HD name highly sought after and be bulletproof as much as the 6L90E is.  Will I be trading mine in for the 10 speed???  Noooo, but I do hope the best for those who buy it.