Buying tips 2500

5 hours ago, nards444 said:

Only one gas motor not two.  Not a lot of difference between the 2500 and 3500, 2500 is going to ride better and not as stiff.

The real question here is what do you plan on doing with it.  The 6.6 gas is a gas hog your looking at 10-12mpg depending on the situation.  I know you said no diesel and right now probably makes sense but if diesel were to drop and you factor in the savings on fuel mileage it might be a thought.

It would take a long time to recoup the extra cost of the diesel based on fuel costs.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 22z712500 said:

It would take a long time to recoup the extra cost of the diesel based on fuel costs.  

Yeah right now be a lost cause,  when diesel was the same or less its about 5-6 years given standard mileage of 15k a year or so.  

Whats lost though on some, is you dont have to worry about getting the whole ten grand back as that truck with a diesel will always command more at resale or trade.  Reality you probably at least get 5k more back and if newer probably more.  So really its not that much of a stretch when the diesel motor is getting 25-30% better fuel mileage. 

Return on investment is a good point. 

My favorite thing about the diesel is just how laid back and relaxed the drive is.  It's like the "easy button."  Need fuel while pulling a big arsed trailer, go to the truck side.  Need to pass someone, push down on the accelerator.  Got a big downhill, turn on the exhaust brake.  

My favorite thing about the gas engine is being able to do short trips without worry.  Second favorite is the low maintenance & repair costs.  Put a whole long block in the truck for the cost of a set of diesel injectors. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sheath said:

Return on investment is a good point. 

My favorite thing about the diesel is just how laid back and relaxed the drive is.  It's like the "easy button."  Need fuel while pulling a big arsed trailer, go to the truck side.  Need to pass someone, push down on the accelerator.  Got a big downhill, turn on the exhaust brake.  

My favorite thing about the gas engine is being able to do short trips without worry.  Second favorite is the low maintenance & repair costs.  Put a whole long block in the truck for the cost of a set of diesel injectors. 

Very true.  Just changed the oil in my diesel and cost me 80 bucks to do it myself.  better than the 200 the dealer wanted.  Get away from highways and in cities actually finding diesel can be fun, but your right truck stops that tank is filled up in 3mins

I just like the diesel because you can go up hill with a load going 80, eating a cheeseburger and talking on the phone without thinking much about it,  instead of the gas engine screaming at 6k and constantly hunting for gears.  

Pros and cons for each.  I just go by the rule if if i need a big truck its going to be diesel, If not im going to get a half ton and instead of the big gasser. 

Edited by nards444
  • Like 1

As expected, the rear axle GAWR is higher on the 3500.  Less chance of overloading the rear axle when towing.  Depending on the size of the trailer, and how much you might load in the bed of the truck while camping, you may overload a 2500 faster than you think.

2500:

2022-05-16_19h26_26.thumb.png.a9ad350f673fe1a262eff11b4c73a465.png

3500:

2022-05-16_19h25_13.thumb.png.1ab786496170d1167b4b04dd9e95bc13.png

Edited by Tom Witnauer
Updates.

I'm a newbie here.. 

Great forum you all have going! I have a 2500 6.6 Gas on order, due for July. I occasionally drive work trucks, both gas and diesel, 3/4 and 1 ton. Everyone I know says get the 3500 to have the payload, but picked the 2500 over the 3500 for the ride. Inevitably, my wife and I will have to take long road trip with it empty and the 3500 would be simply too springy for her. 

The design philosphy for the L8T and the 6 speed. I must be exactly the type of person this combo was designed for. 

A proven 6 speed that have been methodically steadily improved for a long time. And a motor that based on a bullet-proof platform with an eye towards, approaching diesel performance ( at least I appreciate the effort ). This kind of stuff is awesome.

Plan to tow 8-10K probably every other month with some moderate construction work on a regular basis. 

Have test driven everything, had an interesting experience with a 60K mi used 2020 3500 Diesel. The truck looked great, but man the transmission was tore up. Clunky on multiple gears. Had alot of miles on it, probably driven hard, but.... scared me. That solidified my decision on the gas.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tom Witnauer said:

As expected, the rear axle GAWR is higher on the 3500.  Less chance of overloading the rear axle when towing.  Depending on the size of the trailer, and how much you might load in the bed of the truck while camping, you may overload a 2500 faster than you think.

2500:

2022-05-16_19h26_26.thumb.png.a9ad350f673fe1a262eff11b4c73a465.png

3500:

2022-05-16_19h25_13.thumb.png.1ab786496170d1167b4b04dd9e95bc13.png

There is a thread somewhere on this forum where a guy bought almost the same truck as mine, but as a 2500.  His payload was about 900lbs less, but his pin weight (gooseneck/5th wheel) was a bit higher.  That was a real surprise to me.  We both put pictures of our data tags on the thread.  Wish I could find that thread.  It really shows how careful choices can maximize the abilities of the 2500.  In his case a salesman at the dealership spec'd the build, and really new what he was doing.

10 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I'm a newbie here.. 

Great forum you all have going! I have a 2500 6.6 Gas on order, due for July. I occasionally drive work trucks, both gas and diesel, 3/4 and 1 ton. Everyone I know says get the 3500 to have the payload, but picked the 2500 over the 3500 for the ride. Inevitably, my wife and I will have to take long road trip with it empty and the 3500 would be simply too springy for her. 

The design philosphy for the L8T and the 6 speed. I must be exactly the type of person this combo was designed for. 

A proven 6 speed that have been methodically steadily improved for a long time. And a motor that based on a bullet-proof platform with an eye towards, approaching diesel performance ( at least I appreciate the effort ). This kind of stuff is awesome.

Plan to tow 8-10K probably every other month with some moderate construction work on a regular basis. 

Have test driven everything, had an interesting experience with a 60K mi used 2020 3500 Diesel. The truck looked great, but man the transmission was tore up. Clunky on multiple gears. Had alot of miles on it, probably driven hard, but.... scared me. That solidified my decision on the gas.

Sounds to me like you made an excellent choice for your towing needs and your ride comfort. Your payload is still going to be in the 3000 lbs ballpark in a 2500. This coming from a 2021 3500 owner. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Flatus said:

I just purchased a 2022 2500 2wd crew cab LT (gas) a few weeks ago. My payload is 3607 lbs. Would a 3500 really be much more than that?

If I remember right it goes to about 4,600lbs in a crew cab. But how many Mother-in-laws do you really want in your back seat?

• Haha 2

image.gif.5a0af519bbef2239adbd6513b399d2a2.gifimage.gif.5b64004757c2ce181c3c354f09e90365.gif

I was curious, so I found the link you were referring about the payload/towing tags.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/228416-2500-hd-10650-lbs-gvwr/page/5/#comment-2576876

The reason for the difference is the diesel.  These towing tags are all set up for 10% tongue weight and 15% pin weight of the max towing.  So, since the diesel tows more, the tongue and pin weight are higher.

I still find the tongue weights really low and would like to better understand how they arrive at them, but look at any GM tag, and they are all exactly 10 and 15%.

Edited by Tom Witnauer
Updates.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Tom Witnauer said:

image.gif.5a0af519bbef2239adbd6513b399d2a2.gifimage.gif.5b64004757c2ce181c3c354f09e90365.gif

I was curious, so I found the link you were referring about the payload/towing tags.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/228416-2500-hd-10650-lbs-gvwr/page/5/#comment-2576876

The reason for the difference is the diesel.  These towing tags are all set up for 10% tongue weight and 15% pin weight of the max towing.  So, since the diesel tows more, the tongue and pin weight are higher.

I still find the tongue weights really low and would like to better understand how they arrive at them, but look at any GM tag, and they are all exactly 10 and 15%.

Agree with your assessment on tongue weights.  Great point! :thumbs:

My biggest concern would be in case of an accident with fatality, where the investigation goes through every little detail.  The load could be within DOT standards, but over the GM tongue rating.  That opens up a whole can of worms in civil litigation. 

Thankfully with the 5th wheel I'm in good shape.  But if I was pulling a goose neck live stock trailer, that has the potential to be an issue.  Which in my case would require "more" truck than I need on a daily basis. 

I'm currently looking at this scenario and may just sub out the hauling, which is a whole other can of worms. lol

On 5/17/2022 at 12:53 AM, NaturallyAspirated said:

I'm a newbie here.. 

I am a good use case for the gasser as well.  I drive tops about 6k per year mostly short trips as everything is close by. I bought at the end of February and only have 1250 miles on it. My current camper is only 5k loaded out and we are in flat Michigan. 2500 has plenty of payload for me. Ran out in my half ton with bikes/ roll top cover, paddleboards, and corn hole in the bed. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Flatus said:

I just purchased a 2022 2500 2wd crew cab LT (gas) a few weeks ago. My payload is 3607 lbs. Would a 3500 really be much more than that?

maybe 1000lbs depending on config.  Reality is this unless your hauling big time weight and im talking 12k or more on an al the time basis your never going to realize the potential of a 3500.  To me if you need it go dually otherwise save the ride and a little gas and go 2500.

Edited by nards444

Thanks for the awesome insight, I drive well under 10k a year, im figuring a toy hauler would be pushing 10k easily with 2 bikes. We're planning to rent a couple to see if we can justify a purchase of an rv, im definitely leaning 5th wheel. Probably 3 trips a year, mostly around 1-2k miles per trip. 2500/3500srw I think I'll see what lands close by, doesn't seem to be much to pick from. But I don't think I can justify the diesel.

• Like 1