Buying tips 2500

4 hours ago, Hoginedgewood said:

Thanks for the awesome insight, I drive well under 10k a year, im figuring a toy hauler would be pushing 10k easily with 2 bikes. We're planning to rent a couple to see if we can justify a purchase of an rv, im definitely leaning 5th wheel. Probably 3 trips a year, mostly around 1-2k miles per trip. 2500/3500srw I think I'll see what lands close by, doesn't seem to be much to pick from. But I don't think I can justify the diesel.

Would be great if you could see the truck on the lot, to check the weight data tags.  Just watch your pin weight on the trailer.  When I first loaded out the 5th wheel, it was almost 3,400 lbs on the pin.  This 5th wheel has a washer dryer in the nose, and I had about 1,000 lbs in the front gen set compartment. 

Most Toy haulers will lighten the tongue once weight is in the garage.   So maybe a couple of bikes along with a Turbo Razor. If you don't already have a SxS, and want to get the purchase past your "Chief Finance Officer", you might try this:

"But honey, we need the Turbo Razor in the back to keep the tongue weight in tolerance."

(let me know if that works for you. :thumbs:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would list out the load combinations (cab contents plus bed contents plus trailer tongue/pin load) you want to be able to haul, and  realistically estimate the payload weights with some margin added (maybe 500 lbs).  If all those numbers are around 3000 lbs or below, a 2500 should be fine and will have a better ride when empty. If any of those total payload numbers are above 3000 lbs, then you need to look at the expected truck payload capability and make a careful decision. If any loads are above 3500 lbs, you probably need to go with a 3500. 

For me, at the time I ordered the truck I wanted to keep my options open to grow into a hard sided 9 foot camper like an Arctic Fox if I decided to go there. With that plus towing a boat the answer was clear. Now that I’ve had my 1800 lb FWC pop up camper for a year, I now know I will never get a hard sided camper. If I was reordering now I’d go 2500 for the better ride. However, at the time, 3500 was the right decision, and I’ll live with it. I still really like the truck, and I know at some point I’ll fill the bed with firewood or a water tank and be glad I have the one ton with its over 4000 lbs payload.  I can also set up my boat trailer with a heavy tongue load if I want even with the camper on. 

If you plan to drive a lot unloaded it’s worth looking at this carefully rather than just defaulting to the greater payload of the 3500 because of the ride difference. 

Edited by Another JR

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 8:17 AM, sheath said:

This mirrors my experience.  The capabilities of a new half ton are very impressive, but there is just something about the stability of an HD with heavier trailers that is confidence inspiring.

by far a HD is better for hauling and towing even in moderate weight class.......stability, brakes, more agressive tow/haul mode, its a completely different experience than a half ton.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dunn said:

by far a HD is better for hauling and towing even in moderate weight class.......stability, brakes, more agressive tow/haul mode, its a completely different experience than a half ton.....

very true specially with a diesel.  But after owning both no reason to spend the money if your towing 5k or less or doing 5-9k occasionlly. 

• Like 2

On 6/7/2022 at 2:31 AM, Dunn said:

Agree totally.  I was always skeptical about how much better could a 3/4 ton be as long as you're under the tow rating of the 1/2 ton.

Then I went from a '00 1500 to a '21 2500 gas.  I've since towed a 9k boat/trailer many times, and a 14k skid steer/trailer once.

I tell people it's like this:  A 3/4 ton will will be an easy, smooth, in-control experience at any load right up to its max rating at highway speeds.  A 1/2 ton will tow at its max rating, but it's not pleasant.

And since fuel mileage is in this thread as well... my lifetime "Trip 2" fuel economy over the 20.4k miles I have on this truck = 14.4mpg (mostly empty, mixed city/highway, includes all towing and hauling)