2015 5.3L seized another lifter 40K miles and 2 years later

Guess I should have traded it as soon as it was fixed. I pulled out of a store parking lot and started accelerating when she popped. Now it's down at least one cylinder and the engine light blinks any time you try to accelerate. Kinda has a "squeak" to it. No codes, at least none my code reader could find.

I know exactly what's going on because I remember in vivid detail the last time it happened back in 2020.

Between this and the box being rusted out after only 7 years, I think I'm done with this truck. Worst. Time. Ever. To be truck shopping...

141K miles. Box rusted. Engine blown. Is it even worth fixing? What's it worth as it sits? Not much I'm sure...

1 hour ago, Mathew Kirsch said:

Guess I should have traded it as soon as it was fixed. I pulled out of a store parking lot and started accelerating when she popped. Now it's down at least one cylinder and the engine light blinks any time you try to accelerate. Kinda has a "squeak" to it. No codes, at least none my code reader could find.

I know exactly what's going on because I remember in vivid detail the last time it happened back in 2020.

Between this and the box being rusted out after only 7 years, I think I'm done with this truck. Worst. Time. Ever. To be truck shopping...

141K miles. Box rusted. Engine blown. Is it even worth fixing? What's it worth as it sits? Not much I'm sure...

If its just another bad lifter, the engine isn't really "blown".  That can be replaced.

You have to look at it from a resale point of view, if you are trying to unload the truck.  Its worth much more with a fixed engine than it is the way it is, rust aside.  

I'd toss a couple lifters in it, so long as the cam isn't bad, then if you want it gone, sell it.  

Also, greetings from the other side of the Genesee (Webster/Penfield area).  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, stevejones said:

The box is rusted?  Really?  Can you post a pic of where?

All around the wheel wells. 

I even bought the membership at the local car wash and ran it through at least once a week year around.

2 hours ago, newdude said:

If its just another bad lifter, the engine isn't really "blown".  That can be replaced.

Last time it was nip and tuck whether it was fixable. Any little thing didn't go perfect and it went from a $2500 repair to a $10000 repair. Fortunately the head wasn't damaged. Fortunately the cam wasn't wiped out. Fortunately a valve didn't hit a piston. Fortunately the pushrod broke off clean and fell to the bottom of the crankcase without hitting anything.

I also got a little break from the dealer because the truck was barely out of powertrain warranty the last time it happened. They went out of their way to fix it rather than just ordering all new parts. At best GM would have split the cost of parts with me, and I was still on the hook for the labor. GM would have insisted that everything be replaced, and that would have been $6000 instead of $2500. That won't happen again.

7 hours ago, richard wysong said:

I have never seen vehicles so badly rusted as in your area, the salt they use seems extra corrosive

This one is a record for me in modern times... My 2003 was 12 years old and was JUST starting to show rust around the wheel wells. Quality has sure gone downhill if this is typical.

By the way, I just talked to a guy in my model airplane club who is a GM-trained mechanic that runs his own shop now. Completely forgot that's what he did for a living! He's going to take a look at it and see if its worth fixing.

Anybody know a good set of fender flares?

Edited by Mathew Kirsch

3 hours ago, Mathew Kirsch said:

Anybody know a good set of fender flares?

Quick tip, go to https://www.chevytrucklegends.com and join. Then they have a 20% off on OEM accessories. Then when checking out, the key is to choose to have the item shipped to your local dealer and shipping is free. That saves even more on larger items.