I recently purchased a used 2019 Silverado RST with the integrated trailer brake and controller.  I plugged my camper's 7 pin in and all lights and such work.  However, the trailer brake does not work.  I can't adjust the gain and the light showing a trailer connected isn't on.  It also doesn't show a trailer is connected on my dash.  I'm assuming the factory brake controller is bad but any info would be greatly appreciated.  I've checked the fuses and none are bad.

4 hours ago, Brian Cobb said:

I recently purchased a used 2019 Silverado RST with the integrated trailer brake and controller.  I plugged my camper's 7 pin in and all lights and such work.  However, the trailer brake does not work.  I can't adjust the gain and the light showing a trailer connected isn't on.  It also doesn't show a trailer is connected on my dash.  I'm assuming the factory brake controller is bad but any info would be greatly appreciated.  I've checked the fuses and none are bad.

Hi Brian,

It is possible that the brakes on the trailer are not compatible with the ITBC.  If you have not already done so, take apart the connector in back and clean out all the dust and dirt and check for corrosion.  

A bi-directional scan tool like a Snap-On or the GM MDI2 with a laptop can test the controller and see if there any internal trouble codes for it.

• Like 1

Check the pins in the trailer wire plug. They could be bent out too wide to make connection with truck. I use a small flat blade screwdriver to gently move/bend the connectors towards the center of opening.

• Like 1

I'll second @Anacortes Army Guy in using a second trailer. Or a second truck to hook up to your trailer.

I had the same issue with a brand new boat trailer. My Ol' 96' Dodge would work the brakes and lights but my then new 21' GMC wouldn't actuate the EOH brakes?? After much hair pulling I found out about a HBA-CAM module. When I called their manufacturer they were aware of the issue. Since installed my GMC works like it should.

Might be worth a phone call.

Hydrastar HBA-CAM Installation Sheet.pdf