Silverado 1500 LT Suspension

I'm out of my comfort zone as I've not worked on suspension since the late 70s.

I have a 2019 1500-LT dual cab, and a Flagstaff E19FBS.   (Silverado spec attached, PDF).

The tongue weigh of the trailer was measured at 629.4# (loaded)

When I put the trailer on the hitch, the truck squats enough to make people coming at me think I have the high beams on.  If I measure the physical drop of the hitch, from no trailer to trailer on it's 1.9".  Not a lot, but enough to piss off people coming at me.  The numbers, and the dealer say I'm not overloaded.

Any thoughts on my options to keep the back from sagging?  I'd like to head out on the highway in September.  Any thoughts welcomed.

T-Trailer.jpg

T-FredTruck.jpg

Fred's 2019 Chevy Silverado.pdf

Edited by Frederick Vobbe
Correct typo in post.

41 minutes ago, Frederick Vobbe said:

Thanks, Guys.  I'll look over the hitch.  Since it's basically where the Reese hitch is located, I'm trying to understand how it does a better job of distributing weight.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/equipment/hitches/towing-weight-distribution-systems.htm

25 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

They work great if setup right.

I have one for my 25ft 6500 lb travel trailer. It's a must IMO.

What's the weight of your trailer ready to camp?

It looks like you are too heavy on the tongue compared to the weight of the trailer.

Is all your cargo up in front?

Go to a CAT scale at a truck stop and weigh it

Screenshot_20220718-173936_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg

Edited by dieselfan1

Tongue weight measured at 629.4# with front sides storage filled.  Most stuff stored in back so when we get on site we can unload out the door.  One variable is fresh, grey, and black water.  That will change day to day, despite a theoretical equalization.

Another question, about braking.  The brake signal, (Blue wire, Pin 2), is this signal strictly an ON/OFF voltage, or does voltage vary with the amount of pressure placed on the brake pedal, hence the ability to set gain as part of setup?

BTW, thanks again for the suggestions.  From what I've read it seems like the towing will be safer and more professional than just the Reese hitch and ball, bare-bones configuration.

On 7/18/2022 at 8:03 AM, Frederick Vobbe said:

I'm out of my comfort zone as I've not worked on suspension since the late 70s.

I have a 2019 1500-LT dual cab, and a Flagstaff E19FBS.   (Silverado spec attached, PDF).

The tongue weigh of the trailer was measured at 629.4# (loaded)

When I put the trailer on the hitch, the truck squats enough to make people coming at me think I have the high beams on.  If I measure the physical drop of the hitch, from no trailer to trailer on it's 1.9".  Not a lot, but enough to piss off people coming at me.  The numbers, and the dealer say I'm not overloaded.

Any thoughts on my options to keep the back from sagging?  I'd like to head out on the highway in September.  Any thoughts welcomed.

T-Trailer.jpg

T-FredTruck.jpg

Fred's 2019 Chevy Silverado.pdf 59.36 kB · 3 downloads

I thought that the 2019’s were all the new body style? Please correct me if I’m wrong. 

are you sure yours is 2019?

I thought that the 2019’s were all the new body style? Please correct me if I’m wrong.  are you sure yours is 2019?

Very sure, Nestor.  See the doc in the link at the start of this thread.  2019 was the new body change year, if I recall the dealer's statement. 

Edited by Frederick Vobbe
Correct typo in post.

11 hours ago, Nestor Romero said:

I thought that the 2019’s were all the new body style? Please correct me if I’m wrong. 

are you sure yours is 2019?

Some 2019's were build as 2019 LTDs which maintained the 2016-2018 architecture.

I'm pulling a 2021 287BHSS towed it with the 2018 and now the 2022 refresh and no issues with just a weight distribution hitch.

They are a must with the bigger campers but I simply stat they are a must.

Apex Specs

Length 32 ft 5 in
Ext Width 8 ft
Ext Height 10 ft 6 in
Hitch Weight 792 lbs
Gross Weight 7600 lbs
Dry Weight 5946 lbs
Cargo Weight 1654 lbs