A new 2500 I ordered questions.

Just wanted some feedback on what you guys think of this scenario, I ordered a new truck in mid June and the cost to build it was just over $66,000. I left a deposit and was told I could trade in my current 2022 2500HD and jump in to the new one at no charge assuming nothing happened to it damage wise. Mid September the new truck arrived and now the dealer wants $70,000 for it and will only give me $55,000 for my 3 month old truck. With the GM discount lowering the cost on the new one we are still at a difference of over $9,000. I offered $4000 plus the vehicle I'm in now which is still in perfect condition and was told flat out no way. Are the dealers not obligated to hold the price when you order and leave a deposit? It would put the numbers a lot closer together even though I am still paying something when I was told I wouldn't have to. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I couldn't see where else it should go.

The deposit is to reserve the vehicle.  I doubt you will find anything in the papers you signed guaranteeing a price or even guaranteeing its your vehicle.  On the flip side, you would not want such a guarantee because it could also bite you should the vehicle come in damaged or not what you ordered, you would be locked into buying it.

I doubt any dealer would be foolish enough to put that in writing as THEY have NO CONTROL over if the vehicle will ever be built and at what price it will cost them.   What they told you can easily be misinterpreted.

Edited by elcamino

3 hours ago, garagerog said:

Your call waltman, after all it's your money, but if it was me I would get my deposit back, tell them their word wasn't worth squat, and WALK.

That's what I did, I knew better than to trust a salesman's word. I was probably used so they could get an order in and then sell it for a higher price.

• Like 1

That’s purely the dealer choosing not to keep their word to try and make a few thousand short term, not caring if they lose a customer for life. 

I ordered my truck in December 2020 and took delivery in April 2021 using the supplier discount, which was worth about $6k. The dealer said here’s the price with supplier discount based on the current pricing, and the price will only go up if GM’s price to us goes up. I agreed to that price, and it was on paper, but not on an actual purchase contract form. 

When the truck arrived, there had been no HD trucks on their lot for months.  When I arrived to pick it up, the dealer said they’d had to lock their delivery room to keep people away from it. They told me they’d had three people try to make offers on it in the day and a half it was there. They proceeded to close the deal with me for the originally committed price despite the fact they could have sold it for 5-8k more.  That’s what a reputable dealer does.  They are interested in repeat business and referrals. This is the second vehicle I’ve bought from them, and I’ll go back if I ever need a GMC again. 

That was Brotherton GMC of Renton, WA. I have no affiliation with them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pryme said:

Why even bother trading in a 3mo old truck? No difference between 22 and 23 seems like a hassle to me but what do I know this is the way it is now days it seems.  

There are more options on the truck I ordered plus a year newer at what was supposed to be no charge, the truck I bought in June has very little on it for options but it was available at a time I needed it.

1 hour ago, waltman said:

There are more options on the truck I ordered plus a year newer at what was supposed to be no charge, the truck I bought in June has very little on it for options but it was available at a time I needed it.

Sounds like my kind of truck. Less options equals more basic and less expensive and just as capable if not more so. Usually the base trucks have more payload. Less to go wrong. 

I know the OP has decided to WALK on the truck he ordered because of the nefarious actions of his dealer and I applaud his decision so this is addressed to those in the same quandary. If your contemplated truck purchase is more a matter of want than need, if you can hold off I believe your wallet will thank you. I am retired and as such keep a pretty close eye on my retirement accounts and the financial news. Inflation has pushed the Fed into a corner where they have no choice but to keep pushing interest rates higher (another rate hike today) and the general consensus is that the Fed will need to keep raising rates to the point we're in a serious recession in order to dampen demand enough to tame inflation. The 30 year mortgage rate is already over 6% and that has started to decrease real estate values because it lessens the pool of those that can qualify for a mortgage. The latest promotional offer I received from GM was geared more towards financing rather than actual cash off, but I believe that will soon change. Will we see deals like we did during the 2008 financial crisis?  Probably not, and the dealers aren't stupid, they see this coming too, so they're trying to wring every last dollar out of you, the consumer, while they can, but I can almost guarantee you that the days of MSRP or even MSRP + market adjustment are short lived. The manufacturers need to keep the assembly lines rolling and the dealers have overhead to meet so that salesman that recently laughed at your offer may soon be melting the circuits on your cell phone.

Edited by garagerog
  • Like 1