SuperCruise like OpenPilot System

If you have long highway commute each day, you will benefit from this! 

OpenPilot is a Level 2 driver assistance system, it enhances the garbage Lane Keep Assist (LKA) we have in these trucks. The way it currently works is introducing its own steering commands that the factory system accepts to provide minor steering adjustments to keep you in the center of the lane. (Its more than this, but this is the short version)

Given that it is using the factory system to provide steering power, it will never exceed the factory allowed safety commands to rip the steering wheel out of our hands. Unlike may other OEM systems that follows the lane lines, this uses human taught driving to provide a more natural behaviour (can be seen that it hugs right on undivided highway for example). This system is similar to SuperCruise in the manner that it monitors the driver visually for any distractions, this means it is a true hands-free experience for majority of your highway driving. Currently, OpenPilot does not control the throttle and braking, it is still handled by the factory ACC system. This is a very reliable setup, but eventually, it will take over gas and brake to do amazing things such as cut-in mitigation. 

Here is a short video of it in action:

I am one of the few first hand users for this system, it has dramatically reduced my driving fatigue for my daily 25 minutes commute. Few of the issues we have is that our vehicles are really tall, we need more driving data of a tall vehicle to "teach" the system to drive even better on this platform. 

Few of the possible features that is currently possible in the foreseeable future update includes:

- Better Adaptive Cruise that slows down earlier and smoother than stock

- Automatic Lane Changes without needing to nudge steering wheel (May require blind spot monitor signal implantation to work)

- Stop and Go for automatically resuming from a lead car starts moving

Things we probably wont see in this platform:

- No full self driving (due to steering is not available below 10 km/h)

Requirements:

- 2020 or 2021 with ACC and LKA options

- Comma 3 unit with GM Camera Harness (I believe it is immediately available now through purchasing on their site) and the black harness box

- Trim tools (if you like to make things nice and pretty, Torx screw driver set with extended shaft driver to remove the overhead center console to hide the harness)

Video explaining what you will need to get started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwDDid_bLrU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HbNoBLzRwE

16 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

Do you really get fatigued from driving 25 minutes?

C'mon man.

25 minutes usually is ok, but when you do long trips, this thing is amazing. It is something you have to experience to understand the value of it. Another reason why SuperCruise is only available on some highway. OpenPilot will work in heavy traffic as well, takes some effor of keep accelerating and braking over long period of time. 

I know it can be subjective, but there is no denying that micro adjustments during drive is part of human input. Over time, needing to stay in a fixed position will fatigue. this is a fact, no need for arguments.

I now have the freedom to stretch and move my legs around, this is a huge plus. I show up to work energized, not stressed out from slower drivers etc. 

But, if that is all you took from this write up, then I dont understand why you are browsing the mods or even appreciate the technological advancement.