Driving in ICE - 2020 Custom

Will be taking a road trip to North GA this January with the potential for icy roads. I have a 2020 Custom 2WD with Nitto Terra Grappler G2's. 

Anything I need to do special as I have not driven a truck in these potential conditions before. I've heard people say to weigh down the bed, etc. 

Thanks 

Not sure how bad North GA gets (Canadian here) but I would say adjust your speed accordingly in icy conditions.  Even with the best snow/ice tires you can slide around if there is significant snow/ice on the ground and you are going fast enough.   Black ice is a thing and dangerous.  Sometimes it can be hard to spot it or “feel” it as you drive, so take it slow.  Accelerate slowly from a stop and give yourself plenty of distance to brake slowly.  

In my teen years/decades ago, when I was unsure of the road conditions, I would take a step or two on my residential street (no cars around) and judge how slippery it was or if black ice was present.   It doesn’t mean all the roads would be the same.  The salt trucks would have probably taken care of the main roads here but it never hurts to get a feel with my boots before I got in the car.  

Good luck and be safe!

My advice would be to not drive if you have iced over conditions, the problem is going through southern states that have next to no equipment to handle the conditions, like sanders or salters. Not to mention i would take a good guess that over 50% of licensed drivers in non snow states are as useless as ****** on a bull driving in snow or ice, hell many times they have shown they can't even drive in rain!

In a 2wd truck... required too add some weight in the rear for traction to take off from stops, taking off uphill will be challenging.

Snow = medium

Ice = hard

Traveling on snow is possible.

Traveling on ice is not practical, a safe speed is generally so slow its better to just wait for it clear, likely less than 24hrs in the south.

Think of it this way - you do not drive on ice, you slide on ice.  It's almost impossible to steer or to stop in the distance you want.  Got to youtube and look at some of the videos of people driving on ice sliding off the road, down a hill or into other objects (vehicles, trees, fire plugs, etc.).

• Thanks 1

Speaking from personal experience, chains are about the only way to navigate on ice.  It will be a noisy and bumpy drive and one needs to keep their speed down, but they do make travel on ice possible,  Just watch out for the other drivers with cars that do not have chains installed!!!!

In areas that don't usually have 'winter' road conditions, you also have to worry about all the others on the road that didn't prepare and/or have no idea how to deal with the conditions.