2022 LTZ Duramax Ride Quality

So I posted on here 6 months or so ago about ordering a new HD truck. I quickly gave up on that idea after being blown off over allocations. Ended up searching for and negotiating for a loaded LTZ Duramax from an out of town dealer. Was actually an easy process and I got the truck I wanted. While I’ve had multiple one ton trucks before, I’ve not had a Chevrolet 1 ton previously. Just half tons. Holy rough ride! The Snow plow and Camper packages I’m guessing weren’t helping any either. So I began looking at the truck. Tires were all over 70psi. This helped some. I could immediately tell the Ranchos we’re not up to the task of controlling this much unsprung weight. Very obvious going over parking lot speed bumps. Then I looked at the Mickey Mouse steering components. They are heavier duty on Hyundai’s. Anyway, enough rant. I began researching and reading. And reading and reading. Bought the Cognito Elite 3” kit with the 2.5” Elka Shocks. Bought the Front and rear Cognito Comfort Springs. Complete Kryptonite Ultimate Steering kit With the Center, tie rods, Idler, idler arm, and pitman. Also got rid of the tiny Sway bar links for the Kryptonite units.  Ordered a Bilstein steering stabilizer and bracket. Then of course Method NV’s and 35” tires from Custom offsets. The springs were ordered in July. I just got them a few weeks ago. I parked the truck and put everything on hold till it all came in. Took about four hours to install the Lift front and rear (added 1” blocks). Found it easiest to remove the inboard bolts for the lower control arms to get the old torsions out and new in. The rear Cognito Comfort spring packs don’t come with the Ubolt retainer brackets on top. And the center pin was not long enough to transfer them over so I had to disassemble the factory spring packs and transfer center pins and upper u bolt brackets. Other than that it was pretty straight forward. Though I did have to break out the plasma cutter for the Front lower control arm bump stops removal. I set the ride height to 2” higher in the front (40.5 to 42.5). I removed the steering system and loosened the gear box to get the pitman off. Pitman is the only time consuming effort here. Just bite the bullet and take the box bolts out, reposition it and get the puller on it. The rest just takes a few minutes to get out. I am working on a two post lift though. Installed the Kryptonite steering system and stability links. Holy beefy this stuff is. Night and day difference. It actually looks like 5 ton steering components. Pretty awesome. Truck rides like an absolute dream now. Not quite like a half ton but it’s close. I seriously didn’t want to drive it previously. It’s six months old and has 1k miles on it. Half that was from the drive home from buying it. Also did a complete stereo upgrade and put the banks stuff on it, but that’s another thread…

• 3 weeks later...

I can tell you from experience the front torsion springs for the camper package and snow plow package make a big difference in stiffness and in front/rear response balance. If you don’t need the heavier springs, change them out for the basic ones for your truck configuration. I did it on mine and it was a big improvement. 2 hours and $600.  

My 2021 3500 has the fifth wheel package as well as the "camper" torsion bars and the Z71 package, I really dont think it rides that bad for a truck with that much capacity. Its certainly better than the 70's and 80's era 4WD straight axle half tones I grew up with. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, 64BAwagon said:

My 2021 3500 has the fifth wheel package as well as the "camper" torsion bars and the Z71 package, I really dont think it rides that bad for a truck with that much capacity. Its certainly better than the 70's and 80's era 4WD straight axle half tones I grew up with. 

Agreed. I have the same packages and I am totally fine with the truck in stock form. Like you, I grew up driving lumber wagons. 

this Truck reminds me of my younger days and I smile whenever I drive it. 

• Like 1

I did not like the suspension dynamics with the overly stiff front end from my 5600 lb rating camper pkg springs. Going over dips at highway speed, even when empty, the front was stiffer than the rear and the front of the truck would pitch up. It was even worse with my 2000 lb pop up camper installed (50% of payload rating, all but 100 lbs on the rear axle, gives the truck a 50/50 weight distribution front to rear).

With the 5200 lb springs installed the rear is stiffer than the front when unloaded, and with the camper the front and rear response is well matched and the truck doesn’t pitch up going over highway dips. 

Edited by Another JR
Clarity

On 11/22/2022 at 5:34 AM, 64BAwagon said:

Yeah, it's all a trade off right?  Load capacity is based on spring capacity, tire sizing, ride height, etc.. Takes an army of intelligent engineers to figure this all out.  Once they figure that all out, another army of engineers has to figure out the electronics to properly handle that configuration by modulating brake and engine power.

I would not be comfortable pulling the weights I do with aftermarket kits which give better ride quality, or lift the truck. Tire pressure drop when running unloaded made me the happy.  

That wrote, If I wanted the size and looks of an HD truck but didn't need the capacity, I'd be all over a suspension system and tires that improved ride quality. 

This truck's styling is man's-man kind of look, so I can see why it has appeal even to those best suited to half ton life. :cheers:

• Like 1

So Dscott do you like the cognito torsion bars. I know a lot of guys look for reviews on them with no luck. Seems like trucks with leveling kits can benefit from there softer spring rate. That is a very nice setup you have. 

Just my humble opinion, if you wanted it to ride like a car should have bought the 1500 car Chassie with a pickup body on it. Guess you're not old enough to have driven a GM one ton 35-45 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2022 at 8:25 PM, 07HD said:

Just my humble opinion, if you wanted it to ride like a car should have bought the 1500 car Chassie with a pickup body on it. Guess you're not old enough to have driven a GM one ton 35-45 years ago.

I had a 2020 Trailboss 6.2L. It didn’t like pulling my 8k trailer in the mountains. And the fuel tank is entirely too small for trailering. Yeah it rode good though. I’m no spring chicken at almost 50 years old. I’ve owned multiple old square body one tons (Fords though)4A811A03-57A6-4C63-A1A1-009A8C7AB93F.thumb.jpeg.972b16d70d5b4ce808b876325adce587.jpeg. Big block and small block versions. And they were lifted and had lift leaf packs at each corner. Yeah they rode like a brick. In short, I don’t need the full capacity and wanted a better ride, so I spent the bucks and the weekend correcting it to my liking…

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DScott3370 said:

I had a 2020 Trailboss 6.2L. It didn’t like pulling my 8k trailer in the mountains. And the fuel tank is entirely too small for trailering. Yeah it rode good though. I’m no spring chicken at almost 50 years old. I’ve owned multiple old square body one tons (Fords though)4A811A03-57A6-4C63-A1A1-009A8C7AB93F.thumb.jpeg.972b16d70d5b4ce808b876325adce587.jpeg. Big block and small block versions. And they were lifted and had lift leaf packs at each corner. Yeah they rode like a brick. In short, I don’t need the full capacity and wanted a better ride, so I spent the bucks and the weekend correcting it to my liking…

Perfect case for these mods, and what i was trying to express in the earlier post. 

In your position, I'd be all over the same mods.  Plus a steering damper setup (if you haven't already done this). 

Beautiful truck!  :cheers:

20 hours ago, sheath said:

Perfect case for these mods, and what i was trying to express in the earlier post. 

In your position, I'd be all over the same mods.  Plus a steering damper setup (if you haven't already done this). 

Beautiful truck!  :cheers:

I did a bilstein stabilizer as well. I had driven one of these prior to buying. I’m guessing it didn’t have the camper torsion bars. Changing those out for the Cognito units is the key to the better ride. And of course the high dollar adjustable shocks. The Cognito rear spring packs took out the jitter in the first few inches of travel. So it is completely transformed ride wise. Now I’m thinking I should do the traction bars from Cognito. I’m worried about axle wrap when towing running a rear leaf without any sort of overload spring. I had this issue on a previous 4 door one ton. Especially after I turned the power up. Think I’m going to order them. Read the directions and it looks like an hour install. They almost 2k though🙄

1 hour ago, DScott3370 said:

I did a bilstein stabilizer as well. I had driven one of these prior to buying. I’m guessing it didn’t have the camper torsion bars. Changing those out for the Cognito units is the key to the better ride. And of course the high dollar adjustable shocks. The Cognito rear spring packs took out the jitter in the first few inches of travel. So it is completely transformed ride wise. Now I’m thinking I should do the traction bars from Cognito. I’m worried about axle wrap when towing running a rear leaf without any sort of overload spring. I had this issue on a previous 4 door one ton. Especially after I turned the power up. Think I’m going to order them. Read the directions and it looks like an hour install. They almost 2k though🙄

In for a penny, in for a pound.  Would be silly not to do the complete package. 

When I dropped the rear tire pressure from the recommended 80psi, to 62 psi, it made a huge difference in that rear "jittery" feel with the stock truck.  Now I get an email every month from GM warning me about the low tire pressure... lol

Have to think with all the work you've done it is a much, much better ride. 👍

7 hours ago, sheath said:

In for a penny, in for a pound.  Would be silly not to do the complete package. 

When I dropped the rear tire pressure from the recommended 80psi, to 62 psi, it made a huge difference in that rear "jittery" feel with the stock truck.  Now I get an email every month from GM warning me about the low tire pressure... lol

Have to think with all the work you've done it is a much, much better ride. 👍

Yeah, I’m going to order the traction bars and be done with this ride. I’ve done everything I want to at this point.  So May as well finish the last item. On a side note. LT35x12.50 tires are outrageous right now. I normally run Nitto or BFG tires. They are 2100-2600 right now depending on which flavor you choose. I decided to try the Kenda Klever R/T tires. I’ve had many Kenda tires for off-road enduro and MX applications. They were every bit as good as the Michelin and Dunlop counterparts. These tires are 1196.00 from Parishtirecompany on EBay. Likely since no one knows about them. They are Tripple sidewall, and F Load range. Slight hum at Highway speeds but still very quiet. I see no difference or reason to spend twice as much with the way these perform. They balanced perfectly with quality balancing beads. 

• Like 1