Checking transmission fluid level is ridicules

I installed the updated by-pass module on my 2018 Silverado 6 speed transmission. I haven't found a way to insert the dip stick without it binding in the tube and I end up twisting it and jamming it in. Is this normal? I got so frustrated with it I had to walk away, as I must have attempted a dozen stick checks and none seemed to be the same.

I did add some fluid as I lost some switching the by-pass module out. 

Is it normal or do I have an issue?

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Sir Dan said:

At least you HAVE a dipstick. Don't even have one on my 8 speed and checking the level involves jacking, leveling, wrenches, and calculating temperature algorithms!

Look into something like this: 

During my research, I saw people doing to the 8-speeds on Camaro's and such. Last resort try a commercial option. As in, the HD drivetrain is in some funky cabover Izuzu service truck and has a dipstick. Worst case, there IS aftermarket tubes/sticks you can get from Lokar and others. Expensive Example

3 hours ago, Sir Dan said:

At least you HAVE a dipstick. Don't even have one on my 8 speed and checking the level involves jacking, leveling, wrenches, and calculating temperature algorithms!

Don't forget the slide rule.  😄

On 11/7/2022 at 5:44 PM, No Tyme said:

I installed the updated by-pass module on my 2018 Silverado 6 speed transmission. I haven't found a way to insert the dip stick without it binding in the tube and I end up twisting it and jamming it in. Is this normal? I got so frustrated with it I had to walk away, as I must have attempted a dozen stick checks and none seemed to be the same.

I did add some fluid as I lost some switching the by-pass module out. 

Is it normal or do I have an issue?

Yep.  Gotta get it to slide in just right.  There's a sweet spot where it just drops right in.  Try to feed it with one hand holding the handle and the other hand feeding it in close to the tube.   

I can’t think of a time when I needed to add fluid in the transmission. Except when changing. I rather have a dip stick. Most times people don’t get the fill right. If you have to add there’s a problem. Usually you can see that on the ground. So I can see where a full hole would be an advantage. No guessing.

My issue was when I originally did the pill flip I lost some fluid, not much at that time so I didn't add any. Then I went ahead and installed the updated by-pass module because I live in Ohio and was concerned that the trans may not get up to proper operating temperature in the cold winter months. So then I did notice I needed some fluid, or so I thought... the dip stick is a pain and hard to get consistent reading for me.

Original I overfilled and pulled some out with my Mity Vac but it just seems for me its hard to get consistent readings.

26 minutes ago, No Tyme said:

I have tried to duplicate that "sweet spot" and that is the difficult part... I am not able to... but I understand what you are saying.

Sometimes when I can’t get the dipstick to go in all the way, I pull it back out, flip it  on the other side and then it will go all the way in.

How are you checking the trans fluid level? Are you warming it up first? 

And just to add, whether the pill flip or changing out to updated thermostat, very little fluid gets lost. Where you do have to worry is when you change out the thermostat, then don't replace one of those little orings for the lines, and take a drive down the highway. Then you will lose quite a bit..😳

The best way to answer this is I get different readings... I must have checked 20 times... It is hard to read the stick as I did have the trans flushed and fluid is new. I was checking when trans was warmed, 120 degrees if I remember correctly. One side of the stick showed a different level so I am thinking it was getting wiped off as I was pulling out the stick.

Just now happy with the reading I was getting. 

Then I added a pint or so and it seemed then over the full mark. 

Frustrating 

1 hour ago, mikeyk101 said:

I don't think 120⁰ is warm enough. IIRC you need to have the trans warm enough so the thermostat is open. So with the updated one, it would have to be over 158⁰.

That may be a problem. Drove a good 110 miles the other day and never got above 144

1 hour ago, No Tyme said:

That may be a problem. Drove a good 110 miles the other day and never got above 144

I’ve had that issue too. When my trans won’t get up to 160F, I either drive in a ton of stop and go traffic or I take it on back roads and start doing some hard pulls until it’s up the temp.

Also, the temps for a hot check are 160F to 200F.

Edited by steelerdude15

Not the best way to do it but what I did when I had to refill after my unfortunate mistake, I was a bit in a hurry and needed to get it done. I did the cold level check, then cycled slowly through the gears, then with foot on brake and in drive, I kept pushing slightly on the gas, letting off, doing this a number of times until I got the temp to go up to where I needed. @steelerdude15 also has good tip of a lot of stop and go, think city traffic with stop signs and lots of traffic signals. This will get the temp up. Simply driving along, even 110 miles will not do it.

• Like 1