Keep plastic liner or replace with spray in

On 12/2/2022 at 7:18 AM, fondupot said:

Spray in with a Husky rubber bed mat.

I just use the Husky rubber bed mat but I am in CO and rust is not an issue here. I do run it through a drive through car wash nearly twice a week with underbody spray too.  The Husky mat lays back there and doesn't fly.

For the OP being in OH you need to follow Grumpy Bears regimen of keeping a chevy truck alive in salt country.  If I was back in Indiana I would spray in the bed liner. 

Good luck! 

I ran a plastic one for 10 yrs in my 2012 Sierra. Pull it out once in a while and clean under it. I live where they spread salt 4-5 months of the year and never had rust issues (Also had it Krown'd yearly). Spray in is preferred but I have no concerns with a plastic liner.

3 hours ago, latreille89 said:

I ran a plastic one for 10 yrs in my 2012 Sierra. Pull it out once in a while and clean under it. I live where they spread salt 4-5 months of the year and never had rust issues (Also had it Krown'd yearly). Spray in is preferred but I have no concerns with a plastic liner.

Been running plastic liners since 1987 in various trucks through the years and never had a rust problem paint chaffing yes but no rust. We had a 1993 GMC yard truck at work with a plastic liner and in 2016 they had it in the shop doing repairs now this truck was beat all to hell and back, they had the bed off and liner removed to access the bolts and not one spot of rust in that bed chaffing yes. On this truck I have a plastic liner and a rubber mat just to keep things from sliding around that don't need to be tied down.

My neighbor has a spray-in liner, he loaded it up with a bulk load of red mulch now his liner has red tint stains on it, looks terrible. 

Edited by Silverado4x4

On 12/3/2022 at 9:50 AM, customboss said:

I just use the Husky rubber bed mat but I am in CO and rust is not an issue here. I do run it through a drive through car wash nearly twice a week with underbody spray too.  The Husky mat lays back there and doesn't fly.

For the OP being in OH you need to follow Grumpy Bears regimen of keeping a chevy truck alive in salt country.  If I was back in Indiana I would spray in the bed liner. 

Good luck! 

He doesn’t drive it. He drives a beater in bad weather, a logical choice. 

• Like 1

My 98 came with a plastic liner, it was my company truck from 2005 until 2012 when I bought it from the company and removed the liner. The bed was absolute junk underneath, the rear bed corners were rotted off and holes near the wheel houses plus a ton of trash under it.  Granted the truck plowed snow and hauled lobster bait since day 1 but the exterior of the bed was rust free. The lift gate had spray on liner that trapped water under it and caused rust issues there as well. My 04 just has a bed mat, no issues other than when trying to load heavy items it tends to bunch up instead of letting the item slide. replacing it with 3/16 diamond plate

• Haha 1