Keep plastic liner or replace with spray in

I have a 2020 Silverado Crew Cab that came new with a plastic bed liner.  This truck was purchased to replace a 2008 Silverado that was mechanically sound but rusting pretty badly even though I kept it clean and waxed.  Winters are tough on vehicles in Northeast Ohio. My plan is to keep this one as long as possible as I do have another vehicle I drive too.  This truck has been rust-proofed and ceramic coated.  I do have a hard tonneau cover on it. 

My question is whether or not the plastic liner will trap water underneath and cause the bed to rust.  I hate to throw away a liner that costs about $400.00 from Chevy but I don't want to make a mistake I will regret later.  Any advice: What would you do?  Keep it or spend the money on a spray-in bed liner?  TIA

10 minutes ago, streetglider said:

I have a 2020 Silverado Crew Cab that came new with a plastic bed liner.  This truck was purchased to replace a 2008 Silverado that was mechanically sound but rusting pretty badly even though I kept it clean and waxed.  Winters are tough on vehicles in Northeast Ohio. My plan is to keep this one as long as possible as I do have another vehicle I drive too.  This truck has been rust-proofed and ceramic coated.  I do have a hard tonneau cover on it. 

My question is whether or not the plastic liner will trap water underneath and cause the bed to rust.  I hate to throw away a liner that costs about $400.00 from Chevy but I don't want to make a mistake I will regret later.  Any advice: What would you do?  Keep it or spend the money on a spray-in bed liner?  TIA

Water gets under them but that's not what necessarily starts the rust.  Its the fact that the plastic liners move/vibrate in the box and eat the paint away/scratch the bed paint.  That's what starts it all.

IMO, spray liner is the best way to go.  If you pull that liner out seeing its been there for 2 years already, you will see what its done to the bed already.  

Edited by newdude

My preference has always been the spray in, for similar reasons to what newdude mentioned above (but it's all on your preference). 

I just bought a new 2023 2500HD a couple weeks back, it didn't have a liner so I had the dealer spray one in this week.  Was a one day job, looks just like factory, was $625 out the door.  

Most of my trucks had the plastic. They had stuff bolted to them. Fuel tanks usually. The half tons that I later used had spray in done before purchase. I never bought a work truck equipped. Usually a year end loaded were the only ones they did deals on. I only bought deals. I guess I’d lean spray in for the non slip. 

Edited by KARNUT

I have had many plastic bedliners in the past, they were better than nothing. When I had to remove them they had worn off the paint. I agree with newdude and others about the spray in being the best way to go. If you run your truck through an Automatic Car Wash make sure to get the underbody wash/flush. If you use a pressure washer type car wash make sure to clean out your wheel wells and under the wheel arch lips. I also bought and installed the rear wheel well liners.

Every truck I've owned since 2004 I've done a spray-in bedliner. I just like the looks and durability of them. Don't have to worry about the thing rattling around or water getting underneath or anything. Getting the spray-in liner and a good tonneau cover are the first things I do in any truck I buy.