Lug nuts 2011 Sierra

I was having tires rotated and the technician suggested I change lug nuts....it was not a "must do" but they were getting close.  He said sometimes the metal in the lug nuts from GM would expand over time and if I had a flat on the highway it would be extremely difficult for me to get them off.  I have never heard of this so I declined.  Is there any truth to this or could it be a money-generator for the tire shops.  $72 to change them.

he tells the truth.  the lugs have a thin metal shroud over the actual nut.  the nut rusts and distorts the shroud.  if swelled up enough, the lug wrench wont fit and you will strip out the lug nut.  it sucks.  buy a new solid set from the local Autoparts store - and change yourself.  cheaper that way

See the source image

See the source image

Edited by Bleepster
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bleepster said:

he tells the truth.  the lugs have a thin metal shroud over the actual nut.  the nut rusts and distorts the shroud.  if swelled up enough, the lug wrench wont fit and you will strip out the lug nut.  it sucks.  buy a new solid set from the local Autoparts store - and change yourself.  cheaper that way

See the source image

See the source image

Thank you for this.  I went back and had them replaced. .  He said they'd probably make it to next tire rotation; I went ahead and did it now.  I'm 76; don't need the hassle of that on the road