Denali vs. AT4 or SLT ride quality difference ?

I`m just curious if there is any noticeable difference between the ride quality of the different trim levels?  I know the 1/2 Denali has the magnetic ride so there`s a big difference but since the 3/4 tons don`t have that is there any noticeable difference? I realize you don`t buy a 3/4ton truck for the ride quality but I`m sure they ride and handle better than my 2005 Duramax . I`m trying to decide whether to trade the 2005 for a new 6.6 with the Allison or keep the 2005 for hauling and just get a 1/2 ton for daily driving. I won`t put more than 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year either way so gas mileage really won`t matter. I like the looks of the Denali and AT4 but there`s a pretty big price difference between them and the SLT.

Edited by jd720

There is no difference I’m aware if that is directly related to the trim level. The biggest feel difference I noted during test drives was 18 inch wheels versus 20. Less sidewall means stiffer ride. I chose 18s. After taking delivery lowering the tire pressure appropriately for the actual axle weights made a big difference. 3500 vs 2500 and camper or plow springs all are very noticeable differences. Finally, many say the Rancho shocks included in the “off road” packages can be noticeably different from the base shocks, and not necessarily for the better. I do not have enough time with base shocks to offer an opinion. My SLT has the x31 package Ranchos. 

There are very noticeable differences in the seats in the various packages. Make sure you take a long test drive to try what you think you want to buy. 

Edited by Another JR
Added comment on seats
  • Like 1

Not on the HD.  If there is any ride difference, it would be the wheel/tire size (18s vs 20s may have some ride variation) and if its got the standard 4x4 shocks or Ranchos there might be a slight difference there.

I can also agree somewhat on the plow prep or heavy spring upgrade, there may be some added stiffness up front but nothing drastic.  

If we were talking 1/2 tons, yes there would be a difference especially when you get to Denali (adaptive ride control).  

Edited by newdude

3/4 Denali have the crappy Rancho's on them. Buddy of mine, that works in testing for GM at their Proving Grounds, got his this past fall and his wife noticed how bad it rode compared to their other vehicles. He changed them out to a set of Bilstein's and much better wife was happy.  Shouldn't have to do that on that truck, let alone on any of the new ones. I changed mine out shortly after getting my '20 1500 AT4 for the same reason(6112 fronts, 5100's rear), changes the whole feel for the better. I'm sure there are other shocks that would do better than the factory OEM stuff. He did twist on some of the engineer's ears about this issue along with some others.

Seems to be a common issue with this shock package across the board with GM from what I've heard from some of the internals too. 

Edited by Grover67

4 hours ago, newdude said:

I can also agree somewhat on the plow prep or heavy spring upgrade, there may be some added stiffness up front but nothing drastic.  

I ordered my 3500 hd cclb srw gas truck with the camper spring package, which bumped me up to a 5600 lb front axle rating from the basic 5200 for that configuration.  My thinking was to provision for a possible future hard side truck camper installation. My current pop up camper weighs only 1800 lbs and only puts 100 lbs on the front axle.  After using the pop up for a while I now know I won’t buy a heavier camper. 

I did not like the front suspension being stiffer than the rear. It made the nose pitch up when going over dips at highway speed and just felt wrong. I replaced the torsion bars with the base 5200 lb bars and the ride is noticeably better and the front and rear response are well matched. 

6 hours ago, SCBenji said:

What's the bid difference in the seats? I know the Denali probably has plush leather, more adjustability,  blah, blah, blah, but I don't see GM mass producing 5 or 6 different foam cushions. 

I didn’t compare all the trims, but there was a significant difference between the SLE buckets with convertible center console vs SLT leather buckets with console vs Denali. I mentioned this not because of a ride cushioning difference but rather because seats are important to comfort and I felt big differences in the different configurations. The SLE base seats were terrible for me - I could tell in 5 minutes I didn’t like them. 

Last year when I was test driving before placing my order, I drove a Denali 2500 CC SRW Duramax, then immediately afterward drove a LTZ 2500 CC SRW Gas. Didn’t check whether the Duramax had Snow Plow package or anything (it could have and I should have checked). But there was a big difference in ride between the Denali Duramax vs the gas. Gas felt softer, and actually I was driving a 2021 Diesel Ram 2500 at the time. It too felt softer than the Duramax. GM must set up the front suspension differently for the heavier Duramax than the gas. Is this true?

The Custom I ended up getting is Goldilocks for me. Just feels like a modern Work Truck. A little rough. Exactly what I was looking for. Best truck.

My 2021 CCSB Custom had the 20s with the snow plow prep and my 2022 CCSB LT has the 18s with the camper spring package and Ranchos, the ride difference is night and day between them.I don't notice any difference between factory or Ranchos shocks but the ride is so much better in my LT

The HD Denali and AT4 are pretty much identical. The AT4 doesn't have as many options standard like the Denali does, but the options can be added on to the AT4. The difference mainly comes down to appearance. If you like a lot of chrome, get a Denali. If you like the off-road look, get the AT4.

I have a 2023 Sierra 3500 AT4 long box with the snow plow prep package on 18" wheels and I'm happy with the ride quality. I've spent most of my driving hours behind the wheels of sports cars and my 3500 is a Cadillac by comparison. I just drove 1,800 miles in the last week with only an ATV in the bed.

Ride quality is subjective. The less you know the happier you will be. If you think the ride quality is better in a different configuration then you will never be happy with what you have IMO.

20230122_064433.jpg

20230122_064354.jpg