E Assist question

ohed

They made them to meet an emissions standard at the time, they had to have a certain number of vehicles that were partly on a "hybrid" type system. Pretty sure they stopped in 2019 because they came out with 2 new engine options that got way better fuel mileage.

The 2.7 beats the 5.3 in fuel mileage and the 3.0 Diesel beats the 3 others without even breaking a sweat.

No idea on the exact amount made. Probably have to go down the google rabbit hole to try and find that data.

52 minutes ago, ohed said:

I have a 2018 GM Sierra which I like a lot. My  Questions are: Does any on know how many GM and  Chevy pick ups  were made with E Assist and why were they discontinued in 2019 ?

Silverado and Sierra E Assist were made 2016-2018.  I don't think they made all that many, especially compared to the normal 4.3, 5.3 and 6.2 engines.  The first year was California only and they made 500 Silverados and 200 Sierras.  2017 and 2018 numbers are unknown.  That I can recall, we sold maybe 2 or 3 Silverado versions in 2018?  Compared to the other 3 engines which we sold a lot of 5.3 and 6.2.    

They discontinued it after the 2018 model year because the new generation of truck introduced the 2.7 Turbo and the 3.0 Duramax as the more fuel efficient options as CamGTP mentioned.  The diesel is the highest efficiency full size at the moment, with the 2023 rated at 22mpg city, 27mpg highway and 24mpg combined.  

Here's a chart with the ratings comparing the 2023 3.0 Duramax and 2.7 Turbo vs the eAssist and regular 5.3 from 2018.  All trucks compared are 4x4 model:

fueleconomy.thumb.png.f4341db5730b8324fe8ed9283041258d.png

The way I see it, the 2.7 Turbo (which for 2022.5 and 2023 is the HO version) is slightly cheaper to operate and does so using 1/2 the cylinders and without a complex hybrid tie-in.  

Edited by newdude