Programing opinions? Engine and trans

Hey guys, I found a competent trust worthy transmission builder that will program the trans, engine and rebuild the trans as well with the sonnax zip kit. All for $4,100usd. They know tuning, but I need to go in with some idea lol.

Since I will have them program after the trans rebuild what are the suggestions for both engine and trans?

Extend shift points raise pressures?

Program for gas mileage or hp?

No real need at all to raise the shift pressures or anything like that. The basics would be to quicken the shift times some, they are kinda soft in my opinion from the factory. Quicker/cleaner shifts should help with clutch life.

Turn off the torque converter for gears 1-4 and only allow it in 5th and 6th. Then raise the lockup mph settings so it can't lock the converter while lugging the engine at 30-35mph with 1,200rpm. I extend the 5th gear lock up to around 45mph and 6th gear at nearly 50mph. It drives way better this way. Do this would also require that you change the shift mph speed settings to match your lock up settings. Don't allow 5th gear until 44-45mph and same for 6th.

Gaining fuel mileage, good luck. So much of it is down to driving habits and weather conditions. I wouldn't say you can't gain power from a tune but more so you are unlocking what is already there sooner. Lots of changes can be made to make it react quicker to throttle transitions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok great man thanks! Well I am fine with the throttle response. I know what you mean by making it seem like more power. I will pass on that and fuel economy. 

I will pass this info onto the shop when it goes in. 

Thanks cam

On 2/3/2023 at 5:41 PM, CamGTP said:

No real need at all to raise the shift pressures or anything like that. The basics would be to quicken the shift times some, they are kinda soft in my opinion from the factory. Quicker/cleaner shifts should help with clutch life.

Turn off the torque converter for gears 1-4 and only allow it in 5th and 6th. Then raise the lockup mph settings so it can't lock the converter while lugging the engine at 30-35mph with 1,200rpm. I extend the 5th gear lock up to around 45mph and 6th gear at nearly 50mph. It drives way better this way. Do this would also require that you change the shift mph speed settings to match your lock up settings. Don't allow 5th gear until 44-45mph and same for 6th.

Gaining fuel mileage, good luck. So much of it is down to driving habits and weather conditions. I wouldn't say you can't gain power from a tune but more so you are unlocking what is already there sooner. Lots of changes can be made to make it react quicker to throttle transitions.

Hey man when I haul or tow do I still need to switch over to tow mode? Thanks

Tow mode will still work just as it did before unless you go in and change it to.  I still use tow mode when hauling heavy.  If I just have a jet ski or empy trailer I don't use my tow mode.  I don't want it shifting to high under a heavy load.  My truck shifts around 6,300 rpms at wide open trottle.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JONBLARC7 said:

Tow mode will still work just as it did before unless you go in and change it to.  I still use tow mode when hauling heavy.  If I just have a jet ski or empy trailer I don't use my tow mode.  I don't want it shifting to high under a heavy load.  My truck shifts around 6,300 rpms at wide open trottle.

Rock on man. Is your transmission setup different then what cam does?

• 1 month later...

Well I dropped the builder I was going to use due to lack of being able to find a trans leak on my work truck. I'm going to use a new shop down the road from me. That said I'm on the hunt for a used programer that can change shift points and tire size. Any advise or options in mind are appreciated.

Also dude uses the transgo kit, so no sonnax this round. All in at $2600 removed and rebuilt plus new tq convertor.

GPL transmission

(817) 350-8909

https://maps.app.goo.gl/rLkfqhvthShAtab19

14 hours ago, Snowcamo said:

Well I dropped the builder I was going to use due to lack of being able to find a trans leak on my work truck. I'm going to use a new shop down the road from me. That said I'm on the hunt for a used programer that can change shift points and tire size. Any advise or options in mind are appreciated.

I don't know about a used one but the FlashPaq F5 can change shift points and tire sizes.
However, might not be robust enough for your goals?
I've used it quite a bit to change various settings, one being a 91+ octane tune.

https://www.holley.com/products/tuners_and_programmers/handheld_tuners/superchips_f5_flashpaq/

• Like 2

I would just get HP tuner your self and change the shift points.  That's not that complicated and there are plenty of video's on youtube to show you how to do it.  And you can always ask on here and get some answers. 

12 hours ago, MikeBMW said:

I don't know about a used one but the FlashPaq F5 can change shift points and tire sizes.
However, might not be robust enough for your goals?
I've used it quite a bit to change various settings, one being a 91+ octane tune.

https://www.holley.com/products/tuners_and_programmers/handheld_tuners/superchips_f5_flashpaq/

Well I'm just looking to take cams suggestion and extend 4th & 5th gear out until 45 and change the tire size along with that. That is actually the tuner I have been looking at. I was going to go that route. Then I thought

53 minutes ago, JONBLARC7 said:

I would just get HP tuner your self and change the shift points.  That's not that complicated and there are plenty of video's on youtube to show you how to do it.  And you can always ask on here and get some answers. 

Since I do plan to install a 6.2 down the line it sounds like I need to step it up and get the hp tuner setup. Is this the plug in module I need? The site is sorta confusing to navigate.  I guess I can reach out to them directly. 

Screenshot_20230323_085753_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

The only bummer about the newest HP Tuners stuff is the removal of emissions related stuff from the software. Doing cat deletes and rear o2 sensor deletes on some vehicles won't be 100% complete with the new software because they removed the ability to disable them fully.

But anyone with an older version of the software using a MPVI2 can still edit the file and remove them. Pretty common thing to see on the forums now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1