2023 Sierra 1500 SLT Bose Stereo Upgrade.

My name is Rob, I just purchased a new 2023 Sierra SLT 1500 Duramax with the Premium package and the Bose stereo. 

I was underwhelmed with the stereo to say the least.  The stereo sounds muffled and the bass is extremely poor. 

I have read many of the posts here and they have been extremely helpful. 

Does anyone know if there is a option to purchase a direct replacement for the factory bose amp that increases Output and quality without having to use all kinds of harnesses?

My plan: 

Stage 1:

1. Replace dash speakers with kicker 2 3/4" speakers 

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20647KSC27/Kicker-47KSC2704.html

2. Replace Rear door Speakers with Kicker 6 3/4" KS 

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20647KSC67/Kicker-47KSC6704.html

3. Add NVX speaker Cones to direct the sound towards the cabin and give each speaker its own "box" 

6.5" https://www.amazon.com/NVX-XBAF65-Silicone-Speaker-Speakers/dp/B07VNTRSTH/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3FWKM6Z59B07T&keywords=6.5+speaker+baffle&qid=1675697789&sprefix=6.5+speaker+%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFFWVA0TEM2ODdGV0UmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3NzM5MDMxVlRZQVRESjlHVFlOJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxMTAxMDVZWENSNFNORkVRME0md2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

6x9" 

https://www.amazon.com/NVX-XBAF69-Silicone-Speaker-Speakers/dp/B07VWK47N2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1S6KKNWB9OUKO&keywords=6x9+speaker+baffle&qid=1675697818&sprefix=6x9+speaker+baffle%2Caps%2C97&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFNNEc5M1NURkwzOVomZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxNTUyMTU0RVFJU0FBSVZaT0gmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDk5NDg0MzE5T0YzN0hJMUZWOVkmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Stage 2: 

1. Add subwoofer and amp

IMG_8921.jpg

IMG_8922.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 2020 AT4 with the Bose.  I vaguely recall there are 2 levels of Bose, so not sure which one you or I have.  I also heard the stereos got even crappier in the 22+ models.  What I did was install the Kicker sub from GM.  It made a WORLD of difference.  I'm not sure exactly what it does but to me it seemed like it took over the bass duty from the crap full range speakers so they can handle mids and highs.  The whole thing seemed to come alive.  Granted, it's not going to do what you list above but for the money, it is a worthwhile upgrade.  I'd search on this site for "Kicker" to see what others say. My .02.

33 minutes ago, cltsig said:

I have a 2020 AT4 with the Bose.  I vaguely recall there are 2 levels of Bose, so not sure which one you or I have.  I also heard the stereos got even crappier in the 22+ models.  What I did was install the Kicker sub from GM.  It made a WORLD of difference.  I'm not sure exactly what it does but to me it seemed like it took over the bass duty from the crap full range speakers so they can handle mids and highs.  The whole thing seemed to come alive.  Granted, it's not going to do what you list above but for the money, it is a worthwhile upgrade.  I'd search on this site for "Kicker" to see what others say. My .02.

From what i understand the Bose level 1 is 7 speakers and level 2 is 12 speakers and only in the Denali/ highcounty and AT4 

I just completed an upgrade to my 2023 Sierra w/Bose (same color as yours and with the diesel!) and would highly suggest getting a T-harness for the Bose amp.  It is a lot cleaner and you can use all of your factory speaker wiring so that you don't have to pull new speaker wires to the doors and dash.  I used an amplifier with high level (speaker) inputs so the harness wired right to the amp inputs, and then wired the amp speaker outputs right back to the harness to go out to the speakers.  Super simple integration and didn't need to cut or splice into any factory wiring. 

There is a company that had a module that would integrate with the head unit and completely eliminate the Bose amp, but they had problems and it has been pulled off the market for now.  Ultimately that is the way to go as you can avoid the factory equalization that is done in the Bose amp.  But, for now we just have to work around that with things like a T-harness.

If you decide to go with a T-harness I would email John @ [email protected] and let him know what you want to do. He'll set you up and you'll be on your way.

I would also suggest concentrating on the dash and front door speakers before the rear doors.  The rear door speakers are "fill" and with a good set of components up front you won't miss the rear door speakers at all.  I left the factory rear speakers in place but turned them down quite a bit to keep them out of the way of the rest of the system. 

I went a slightly different route and used Audio Frog widebands in the dash rather than tweeters and Audio Frog 6x9 midrange speakers in the front doors.  The widebands play plenty high bouncing off the windshield so I have no regrets not putting tweeters up there.  A pair of 10" subs under the back seat rounds it off and I really like the results.  It was a lot of work but worth it in the end.

Edited by Firetiger(MN)

Also wanted to add that I used Metra 72-4573 harnesses for the dash speakers and PAC SH3802 harnesses for the front door speakers to plug and play with the Bose speaker wiring at each location. 

The PAC's were provided by Crutchfield when I bought the 6x9's but they said they didn't have a harness for the tweeters so I sourced the Metra from Sounds Good Stereo for those.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's input.

Does anyone know if I can mount a slim powered subwoofer on the rear cab of the truck behind the rear seat?  I dont want to take up my storage space and just want to add a little bass. 

This is the pics I can find of behind the rear seat.

this is a Amp rack that a company sells. 

p10aw.jpg

Rack.webp

• 1 year later...
On 2/6/2023 at 8:11 PM, Firetiger(MN) said:

I just completed an upgrade to my 2023 Sierra w/Bose (same color as yours and with the diesel!) and would highly suggest getting a T-harness for the Bose amp.  It is a lot cleaner and you can use all of your factory speaker wiring so that you don't have to pull new speaker wires to the doors and dash.  I used an amplifier with high level (speaker) inputs so the harness wired right to the amp inputs, and then wired the amp speaker outputs right back to the harness to go out to the speakers.  Super simple integration and didn't need to cut or splice into any factory wiring. 

There is a company that had a module that would integrate with the head unit and completely eliminate the Bose amp, but they had problems and it has been pulled off the market for now.  Ultimately that is the way to go as you can avoid the factory equalization that is done in the Bose amp.  But, for now we just have to work around that with things like a T-harness.

If you decide to go with a T-harness I would email John @ [email protected] and let him know what you want to do. He'll set you up and you'll be on your way.

I would also suggest concentrating on the dash and front door speakers before the rear doors.  The rear door speakers are "fill" and with a good set of components up front you won't miss the rear door speakers at all.  I left the factory rear speakers in place but turned them down quite a bit to keep them out of the way of the rest of the system. 

I went a slightly different route and used Audio Frog widebands in the dash rather than tweeters and Audio Frog 6x9 midrange speakers in the front doors.  The widebands play plenty high bouncing off the windshield so I have no regrets not putting tweeters up there.  A pair of 10" subs under the back seat rounds it off and I really like the results.  It was a lot of work but worth it in the end.

I know this is an older thread but was hoping to get further information for adding an amp to my 2023 Silverado High Country Bose system.......

"T-harness for the Bose amp"

What is this and how do I obtain this harness?........sounds like it makes tapping into the speaker outputs from the stock amp into a new amp and back out to the speakers, a breeze. 

Was looking at adding the JBL DSP4086 amp from Crutchfield. 

Appreciate further information.......thanks!

Edited by BigMick2023

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 9:43 AM, BigMick2023 said:

I know this is an older thread but was hoping to get further information for adding an amp to my 2023 Silverado High Country Bose system.......

"T-harness for the Bose amp"

What is this and how do I obtain this harness?........sounds like it makes tapping into the speaker outputs from the stock amp into a new amp and back out to the speakers, a breeze. 

Was looking at adding the JBL DSP4086 amp from Crutchfield. 

Appreciate further information.......thanks!

There are a few online but sadly most have a lengthy build time before you can get the harness. It does split the harness for you so you don't need to strip and tap the wires yourself.

The problem is if you don't want an aftermarket amp to power the speakers. The bose speakers run on strange impedances for the tweeter, front door and rear door not matching. The sub is supposed to be 1 ohm, front doors are a little less than 2 ohms, rear doors are 4 ohms. I'm thinking since I already have the speakers from my 2014 silverado to just hook the component speakers into the front door with the crossover protecting the tweeter but wire it in parallel with the door speaker to try and achieve a ohm load close to 2 ohms and not 4 but I don't think that would work.

12 hours ago, kickass audio said:

There are a few online but sadly most have a lengthy build time before you can get the harness. It does split the harness for you so you don't need to strip and tap the wires yourself.

The problem is if you don't want an aftermarket amp to power the speakers. The bose speakers run on strange impedances for the tweeter, front door and rear door not matching. The sub is supposed to be 1 ohm, front doors are a little less than 2 ohms, rear doors are 4 ohms. I'm thinking since I already have the speakers from my 2014 silverado to just hook the component speakers into the front door with the crossover protecting the tweeter but wire it in parallel with the door speaker to try and achieve a ohm load close to 2 ohms and not 4 but I don't think that would work.

Since my post above I've replaced all stock speakers and added an JBL amplifier and powered sub-woofer. 

Using a custom harness from AIS the installation went well and did not have to touch any stock wiring. 

I haven't even tuned the JLB amplifier yet and it already sounds insanely good compared to stock. 

Very happy with outcome........this is the way it should sound from GM IMHO.  

On 4/17/2024 at 10:59 AM, BigMick2023 said:

Since my post above I've replaced all stock speakers and added an JBL amplifier and powered sub-woofer. 

Using a custom harness from AIS the installation went well and did not have to touch any stock wiring. 

I haven't even tuned the JLB amplifier yet and it already sounds insanely good compared to stock. 

Very happy with outcome........this is the way it should sound from GM IMHO.  

Great to hear!  what speakers did you go with?  Is the amp just running the sub or all the speakers?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, shudog said:

Great to hear!  what speakers did you go with?  Is the amp just running the sub or all the speakers?

Thanks!

JBL 64-series speakers in the front and rear doors

Pioneer TS-A709 speakers in the dash

JBL DSP4086 DSP Amplifier

JBL BassPro Nano powered subwoofer

The amp is running all speakers except the sub, that's a powered sub so I ran it directly from the OEM amplifier to the sub. 

So nice to be able to tune the JBL amplifier with a PC picking the frequencies for each speaker and dialing it in. 

Sounds fantastic........

15 hours ago, BigMick2023 said:

JBL 64-series speakers in the front and rear doors

Pioneer TS-A709 speakers in the dash

JBL DSP4086 DSP Amplifier

JBL BassPro Nano powered subwoofer

The amp is running all speakers except the sub, that's a powered sub so I ran it directly from the OEM amplifier to the sub. 

So nice to be able to tune the JBL amplifier with a PC picking the frequencies for each speaker and dialing it in. 

Sounds fantastic........

I bet it does, damn!  did you do the work yourself or have a shop do it?