loose / unstable on bumps at high speed. Is this still going on?

On 2/18/2023 at 10:38 AM, Wiggums said:

It wasn't even off-road when that happened. The dirt wasn't even more an inch tall. It was on a straight, level road, and I have driven on that road many times. Truck was brand-new, tires were at 33 psi, no load.

I would not expect ANY vehicle to fishtail. When I first mentioned that issue, I had to deal with ignorant members blindly loyal to Chevrolet. Now that others have experienced the same, it's unacceptable. Nobody should have to install BFGs-KOs to fix this safety issue.

Chevrolet should be getting sued on this, I would be surprised if nobody has been killed.

I agree with you for the most part and know my new silverado is not as well planted on certain road conditions.  But I will deal with this with better shocks etc.  I traded my last 2019 silverado LTZ in on a new 2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502A loaded in 2021. I could write a novel on how bad that job 1 Ford truck sucked!  Bluecruise never worked, auto updates would never happen, windows went down by themselves, blank screen, navigation showing the truck was in Michigan, and on and on.....  I had to tell the Chevy dealer the truck was unsafe when I traded it in last month.  The last Ford dealer it sat at tried to hold hostage because it needed a new driveshaft from a heat shield rubbing on it.  They said it was unsafe to drive and leave it longer so they could order a new driveshaft on a truck that 13K on it at the time. This was after the truck had been at more than 3 different dealerships trying to get the updates installed, gremlins fixed, and the recalls addressed which included the heat shield issues.  Lucky you live in CA because that Powerboost will wake every neighbor on your street when you start it cold below 20 degrees.  I have multiple videos of this happening.  All the dealers and especially Ford did nothing for me.  Trust me I could go on about how bad that truck sucked, and I've had more new Fords than I have had Chevys.  I'm going to go buy some better shocks for my new 2022 RST Z71 6.2 and still feel sorry for whoever buys that particular Powerboost of mine.  

• Like 2

On 2/19/2023 at 11:12 AM, Amcguy1970 said:

Says that guy that works for BFG trying to make a sale.

I remember your posts, they were quite funny from someone not familiar with how a leaf sprung live axle works when driving fast on a rough slick road. Fords, Dodges, even my buddies Tacomas rears get a little happy on certain washboards or rough roads. 

As stated before, there is NO SAFETY ISSUE, only a driver issue. I am not even going to get in to the loyal overrated BFG part of the post... 

Tyler

I dunno when's the last time you drove a Ram (it hasn't been "dodge" since 2009), but they have 5 link coil suspension or 4 corner air suspension and there is absolutely zero side skip or stability issues. Ride and handling in the Ram is exceptional.

I've owned a 2019 Ram for 4 years now and it's the first thing I notice when hopping in a ford or gm, those rear ends are far more lively and skip around over rail road tracks, especially noticeable when in a turn and hitting a rut or something that requires the back end to both move vertically and horizontally at the same time. The Ram handles it like a car, it's always completely composed, the other trucks skip around. Toyota is actually the worst though.

Course no truck is perfect, neither is the Ram, but if we want manufacturers to make improvements where needed then we need to call out problems as well.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, the wanderer said:

I dunno when's the last time you drove a Ram (it hasn't been "dodge" since 2009), but they have 5 link coil suspension or 4 corner air suspension and there is absolutely zero side skip or stability issues. Ride and handling in the Ram is exceptional.

I've owned a 2019 Ram for 4 years now and it's the first thing I notice when hopping in a ford or gm, those rear ends are far more lively and skip around over rail road tracks, especially noticeable when in a turn and hitting a rut or something that requires the back end to both move vertically and horizontally at the same time. The Ram handles it like a car, it's always completely composed, the other trucks skip around. Toyota is actually the worst though.

Course no truck is perfect, neither is the Ram, but if we want manufacturers to make improvements where needed then we need to call out problems as well.

Great ride, poor payload.

1 hour ago, asilverblazer said:

Great ride, poor payload.

Likely a silly question but...how many pounds is HALF A TON?

:rolleyes:

The half ton rides like a one ton because it is sprung like a one ton. 

To carry the payload of a one ton.

:P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Likely a silly question but...how many pounds is HALF A TON?

:rolleyes:

The half ton rides like a one ton because it is sprung like a one ton. 

To carry the payload of a one ton.

:P

Its so easy to put more than 1/2 a ton in the bed of a 1/2 ton truck though... if it fits it ships.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, 17Z71 said:

I agree with you for the most part and know my new silverado is not as well planted on certain road conditions.  But I will deal with this with better shocks etc.  I traded my last 2019 silverado LTZ in on a new 2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502A loaded in 2021. I could write a novel on how bad that job 1 Ford truck sucked!  Bluecruise never worked, auto updates would never happen, windows went down by themselves, blank screen, navigation showing the truck was in Michigan, and on and on.....  I had to tell the Chevy dealer the truck was unsafe when I traded it in last month.  The last Ford dealer it sat at tried to hold hostage because it needed a new driveshaft from a heat shield rubbing on it.  They said it was unsafe to drive and leave it longer so they could order a new driveshaft on a truck that 13K on it at the time. This was after the truck had been at more than 3 different dealerships trying to get the updates installed, gremlins fixed, and the recalls addressed which included the heat shield issues.  Lucky you live in CA because that Powerboost will wake every neighbor on your street when you start it cold below 20 degrees.  I have multiple videos of this happening.  All the dealers and especially Ford did nothing for me.  Trust me I could go on about how bad that truck sucked, and I've had more new Fords than I have had Chevys.  I'm going to go buy some better shocks for my new 2022 RST Z71 6.2 and still feel sorry for whoever buys that particular Powerboost of mine.  

That's why I waited until the 2nd year. Have never had issues with mine. Handling is much better, people are talking about performance mods.. at 55 mph, I'd understand fishtailing especially on dirt roads, but not at 35 on a straight road. In fact, I am now back to driving at 55 mph on the dirt road at the hacienda. It's long, 6.5' bed, very comfortable, powered my house during outgage. Sure, it gets jiggly and I slow down, that's perfectly normal, but fishtailing at 35 mph while I am not braking or hitting the gas.. apparently some think that's normal, I don't.

16 hours ago, Wiggums said:

at 55 mph, I'd understand fishtailing especially on dirt roads, but not at 35 on a straight road. Sure, it gets jiggly and I slow down, that's perfectly normal, but fishtailing at 35 mph while I am not braking or hitting the gas.. apparently some think that's normal, I don't.

This guy... its a simple function of harmonic resonance, the list of variables to induce it is long; from the trucks wheelbase, spring rate, tire pressure, to speed, bump height and spacing, etc. All similar trucks will experience it if the right variables are met. Look up an old video on youtube about bed bounce. Its a comparison of trucks all traveling down a straight road at probably 35mph and they are all over the road, (including your F150 contrary to them trying to tell you otherwise) left unchecked it could lead to a fishtail.

You losing control of your truck on a washboard road does not mean that the literally hundreds of thousands of these trucks are violently careening off the road for no reason what so ever and through no fault of the driver is ridiculous.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, asilverblazer said:

This guy... its a simple function of harmonic resonance, the list of variables to induce it is long; from the trucks wheelbase, spring rate, tire pressure, to speed, bump height and spacing, etc.

And like any harmonic it can be tuned and/or it can be dampened. Dampening is the function of the shocks. Like laying your finger over the strings of a guitar or touching a tuning fork. And the point is that the OEM shocks are not tuned to do the job in the most used portion of the users normal operating conditions. 

The manufacture tuned the system to run at peak load. People buy them and use them as cars. Empty. 

Prewar 1939 Chevy half ton had a payload of? Any guesses? 1,000 lbs. In 1962 the payload of the C10 was 1,500 lbs. Today it is in excess of 2,000 lbs.

Pickup Trucks 101: Payload Classifications - PickupTrucks.com News

What we drive today as a half-ton pickup would have been to your grandfather's a commercial only 1 ton and todays 2500, 3500 trucks were the Semis of their day. Now you know why a Ram 1500 looks like a Kenworth Anteater. :crackup:

[quote from above link]

"Today's truck customers are much more sophisticated and educated on the capability of the truck," said Brian Rathsburg, Ford Super Duty marketing manager. "We educate with the facts — configurations first, then drive-specific payload and towing requirements." [end quote]

Ford......that's just rude. You are literally saying my father was unsophisticated and ignorant as am I?

:idiot:

Back on point...:crackup: This 'thing' North America has with the pickup has come of age about 80 years too late and would have been more appropriate just after the second world war. If Mr. Rathsburg's statement, "We educate with the facts — configurations first, then drive-specific payload and towing requirements." were actually true, then they would steer that customer whose need was under 1,000 pounds haul toward a car and trailer. Oh wait...they quite making those! :rollin:

Put some weight in it. Change your shock valving. Do something.......

• Like 1

Doesn't matter anyway, any vehicle should not be fishtailing, period. None of my other cars have, none of my other 4x4's have. I shouldn't be needing to make adjustments to an OEM vehicle to make it safer on the road. Not once have I been forced to slam my brakes on a slow-moving vehicle to correct it, and I drove on the autobahn with no speed limit, I used to live in Rochester with snow, etc., etc. Keep making excuses, fanboys.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Doesn't matter anyway, any vehicle should not be fishtailing, period. None of my other cars have, none of my other 4x4's have. I shouldn't be needing to make adjustments to an OEM vehicle to make it safer on the road. Not once have I been forced to slam my brakes on a slow-moving vehicle to correct it, and I drove on the autobahn with no speed limit, I used to live in Rochester with snow, etc., etc. Keep making excuses, fanboys.

Not making excuses. Providing solutions. Use it. Don't. Whatever. :dunno:

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 9:16 AM, the wanderer said:

We had a new Ram for a rental for about a month.  It rode like a buckboard, like it had 44,000 springs out back!  Seats were hard too.  Was glad to have my solid axle, 10 year old Sierra back afterwards, much more comfortable truck despite fewer gizmos.

The rear suspension is like Dodge copied my Yukon XL but couldn't get it to ride right, even empty, my Yukon XL rides much smoother.

Edited by swathdiver
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, swathdiver said:

We had a new Ram for a rental for about a month.  It rode like a buckboard, like it had 44,000 springs out back!  Seats were hard too.  Was glad to have my solid axle, 10 year old Sierra back afterwards, much more comfortable truck despite fewer gizmos.

The rear suspension is like Dodge copied my Yukon XL but couldn't get it to ride right, even empty, my Yukon XL rides much smoother.

Well you certainly convinced yourself. Now you just need to convince everyone else that has driven both trucks back to back.

• Haha 1