loose / unstable on bumps at high speed. Is this still going on?

My stock 2022 LTD LT short bed becomes briefly "loose / unstable" only for seconds on bumps usually at high speed or cornering. Otherwise, mine is perfectly fine. I have read the old thread in 2019 below, likely fishtailing because of relatively lighter rear usually happening to one with Rancho shocks. Also some said "it is a truck!" Some had improvement after changing stock rear shocks to Bilstein 5100. My rear shocks are not Rancho. I had to trade in Wrangler due to death wobble and also 2019 Silverado WT after hydroplaning. Of course, the current LT does much less in severity and duration compared to priors but this feeling is enough to remind me that poor experience when having death wobble and hydroplaning. As far as I know, our Silverados are free from death wobble due to independent suspension (not solid axle). Also I didn't have this feeling on my prior WT but I changed the stock rear shocks to Bilstein 5100 right away for bouncy ride. I want to know whether I am the only one feeling this "loose/unstable" or others still have the same issue. Thank you. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Interleukin6 said:

My stock 2022 LTD LT short bed becomes briefly "loose / unstable" only for seconds on bumps usually at high speed or cornering. Otherwise, mine is perfectly fine. I have read the old thread in 2019 below, likely fishtailing because of relatively lighter rear usually happening to one with Rancho shocks. Also some said "it is a truck!" Some had improvement after changing stock rear shocks to Bilstein 5100. My rear shocks are not Rancho. I had to trade in Wrangler due to death wobble and also 2019 Silverado WT after hydroplaning. Of course, the current LT does much less in severity and duration compared to priors but this feeling is enough to remind me that poor experience when having death wobble and hydroplaning. As far as I know, our Silverados are free from death wobble due to independent suspension (not solid axle). Also I didn't have this feeling on my prior WT but I changed the stock rear shocks to Bilstein 5100 right away for bouncy ride. I want to know whether I am the only one feeling this "loose/unstable" or others still have the same issue. Thank you. 

spacer.png

Edited by It's Tim
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I went through that with mine.. the 2019 Chevy Silverado RST with Z71 was the ONLY one that had really poor handling especially on ripples that shuddered the rear suspension and it fishtailed while my foot was not touching any one of the pedals. The dealership was aware of the issue. It was rare though, it has to be the right amount and frequency of ripples, I experienced that going 35 mph then again at a similar speed and that was on a completely straight road! I've owned at least ten pick-up trucks.

Instead of replacing shocks, I got rid of it. There are stupid Chevrolet fanboys here who refuse to admit it (and I have them blocked, don't care for their opinions anymore), and there are people who have mentioned having that issue.. especially with the twin-tube like RST with Z71 like the one I owned.

Edited by Wiggums
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Wiggums said:

I went through that with mine.. the 2019 Chevy Silverado RST with Z71 was the ONLY one that had really poor handling especially on ripples that shuddered the rear suspension and it fishtailed while my foot was not touching any one of the pedals. The dealership was aware of the issue. It was rare though, it has to be the right amount and frequency of ripples, I experienced that going 35 mph then again at a similar speed and that was on a completely straight road! I've owned at least ten pick-up trucks.

Instead of replacing shocks, I got rid of it. There are stupid Chevrolet fanboys here who refuse to admit it (and I have them blocked, don't care for their opinions anymore), and there are people who have mentioned having that issue.. especially with the twin-tube like RST with Z71 like the one I owned.

It's been going on a long time. Ever since half-ton trucks got one-ton ratings. 

I know of two shocks that have linear pistons and valving. King and FOX. All others, truck shocks, I'm aware of are digressive. Billstein is 'less' digressive so make some improvement. King and FOX change its nature. To make it car like you have to spring it car like OR as @diyer2 noted earlier, add weight until it stops hopping like a bunny on the ripples. Get the weight on or behind the axle. 

• Like 1

I run 720 lbs via Sand Tubes and found placing them on and aft of the axle gets me a near perfect leveling effect for snow and ice in my higher altitude cold weather ops.  Now if I could just get the wife to install and remove them in the fall and spring.....LOL  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, customboss said:

I run 720 lbs via Sand Tubes and found placing them on and aft of the axle gets me a near perfect leveling effect for snow and ice in my higher altitude cold weather ops.  Now if I could just get the wife to install and remove them in the fall and spring.....LOL  

Good luck with getting the Mrs. to shlep sandbags. :crackup:

• Haha 1

Yep I notice this too on my 2022 LTD. Rear end gets really squirrelly going over bumps on the highway. I will be swapping the OEM shocks out soon with some bilstein 5100's. I've read they are an improvement over the stock shocks.

11 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

It's been going on a long time. Ever since half-ton trucks got one-ton ratings. 

I know of two shocks that have linear pistons and valving. King and FOX. All others, truck shocks, I'm aware of are digressive. Billstein is 'less' digressive so make some improvement. King and FOX change its nature. To make it car like you have to spring it car like OR as @diyer2 noted earlier, add weight until it stops hopping like a bunny on the ripples. Get the weight on or behind the axle. 

This was clearly a safety issue. No damn car should be fishtailing on a straight level road, no matter what's on the road, including caked dirt. None of my other cars and trucks have done that (I have owned at least 15 and driven over hundreds of other vehicles). I had my hands on the steering wheel and the back was still jiggling so I let go off the gas for a good ten seconds, but it kept jiggling and the whole truck fishtailed, forcing me to slam my brakes in time before mowing down the guy on the side of the road. It wasn't a jump, it wasn't a shift, it was a slow, jiggly fishtail. Had I stayed on my side of the lane instead of the middle of the residential road, I would have run over him. Doesn't matter to me anymore, I already got rid of this safety hazard.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

This was clearly a safety issue. No damn car should be fishtailing on a straight level road, no matter what's on the road, including caked dirt. None of my other cars and trucks have done that (I have owned at least 15 and driven over hundreds of other vehicles). I had my hands on the steering wheel and the back was still jiggling so I let go off the gas for a good ten seconds, but it kept jiggling and the whole truck fishtailed, forcing me to slam my brakes in time before mowing down the guy on the side of the road. It wasn't a jump, it wasn't a shift, it was a slow, jiggly fishtail. Had I stayed on my side of the lane instead of the middle of the residential road, I would have run over him. Doesn't matter to me anymore, I already got rid of this safety hazard.

Preaching to the choir sir. 😉 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

I never had the problem with any brand. Spent half the time off-road. The first thing I’d do is install BFGs-KOs and run 20lbs under max air pressure. I’d always have a toolbox with basic tools in a half ton. That and a fuel tank in a 3/4. Wash boards were the norm. The half tons were mostly extended cab’s short beds. Tough job for the manufacturer. People want a truck to act like a car while handling a load. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1