Ethanol free gas?

2019 Silverado LD (Legacy body), 4x4, 5.3L 

There's a new Wawa by me that sells ethanol free gas. I don't recall the octane, but I think its 88. It's 53 cents more a gallon compared to 87 octane regular E10. 

What are everyone's thoughts on using this in my 5.3L? Pluses? minuses? I've read that it won't hurt my engine.

It's said that it might even produce slightly better gas mileage.

I basically more concerned with the moisture attraction that ethanol is known for. I don't drive as much as I used to. My truck is 3 years old and only has 16,000+ miles on the clock. 

Most ethanol free gasoline where I live (NC) is a "high test" grade...92-93 not 88. Any ethanol free gas is fine to run in your truck. BMW dealership here actually recommends it for their cars. 

Edited by rav3

@rav3 Thanks for the quuck reply.

When you say most ethanol gas where you live is high test, did mean to say most ethanol FREE is high test? Or no? 

Because we have ethanol in most of our gas. 87, 89, 93.

It's very rare to see ethanol free here in Pennsylvania. 

Now that it's available, I will definitely be using ethanol free in my boat this coming season. It has a GM 4.3L V6 from 2003.

88 octane is E15, so up to 15% ethanol.

Around here the ethanol free fuels are 91 octane or race fuel, 100-110 octane. All of the stations with 92 and 93 are still up to 10%.

There are no pluses or minuses if you ask me. I've run everything in my vehicles (87, 88, E30 and E85) and never had any troubles if the vehicle sat for longer periods of time. My truck has been sitting with the same tank of fuel since December and I'm pretty sure I just used regular 87 octane. I've moved it in and out of the garage several times and I have no worries when I start driving it again next month.

Yes..my bad. I ment ethanol free. I corrected it above. Thanks for the catch.

I use the ethanol free gas in all my mowers, string trimmers, leaf blowers, etc.

After I retired, I drove for our local bmw dealership and we were instructed to put the high test ethanol free in all the bimmers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great replies. 

I'm gonna have to go there and see what the octane is. I might have been mistaken that it was 88. From what you guys are saying, it's more likely higher. 

I'm seriously thinking about using it in my 5.3L Silverado. It's only 53 cents more a gallon. 

The handle for the ethanol free is blue and it's next to the green diesel handle on the left side of the pump.

The normal ethanol handles (87, 89, 93 octane) are on the right side of the pump.

• Like 1

Here in my area all 91 octane is ethanol free, Citgo, Shell, Holiday etc.  87 and 89 are Ethanol blends. The only premium with ethanol is Mobil and its 93 octane.  So if you are using 93 octane is most likely ethanol blended.  Near Lake Superior and very few boaters will buy fuel with ethanol content. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, poconojoe said:

There's a new Wawa by me that sells ethanol free gas. I don't recall the octane, but I think its 88. It's 53 cents more a gallon compared to 87 octane regular E10. 

What are everyone's thoughts on using this in my 5.3L? Pluses? minuses? I've read that it won't hurt my engine.

It's said that it might even produce slightly better gas mileage.

I basically more concerned with the moisture attraction that ethanol is known for. I don't drive as much as I used to. My truck is 3 years old and only has 16,000+ miles on the clock. 

I have a 2001 Acura that I drive once a month. It’s been that way for about 18 years we’ve owned it. It usually get gas once a year. My 02 avalanche usually gets about 7K miles a year. I never had a problem with gas. I had a 93 Chevy truck that usually got 5K miles a year. Before that I usually had at least one collector vehicle that usually got driven less than that. Never had a problem with gas. Sometimes I remember to put stabill in not always.

• Like 1

Gas mileage difference is better than you think.  In most cases the cost savings between the E85 and higher ethanol blends end up being a wash due to the poor gas mileage of the higher ethanol.  53 cents is a rather large margin to make up though.

11 hours ago, poconojoe said:

............ethanol free gas..................................What are everyone's thoughts on using this in my 5.3L? Pluses? minuses?

Mathematically on carbon/hydrogen balance there is a 3.4% difference in mpg between E-0 and E-10 favoring alcohol free. 

However due to ECU tuning and engine specifics and the fact that most do not track accurately enough to make the distinction. It isn't likely one would notice the difference. 

It's been quite some time now that all vehicles sold in North America are E-15 capable and newest information I have would indicate that for a few years now even E-20 can be supported on non-flex fuel vehicles without damaging a thing.

Isopropanol and Grain Alcohol do absorb water. Isopropanol is what is used in over-the-counter gasoline dryers. Gasoline does not absorb water but absorbs both alcohol and alcohol/water. Ergo, any water that the system absorbs is held in solution and passed through harmlessly. All that said, we no longer have vehicles with open vented fuel systems where this is even an issue. Nearly all water then comes from the gasoline itself, it collects in storage and processing. 

Alcohol in gasoline is advantageous to both emissions' reduction and deposit formation reduction and easing the loads placed on engine oils. 

FYI, E-0 fuel is useful in lawn equipment where some carburetor parts are made from materials that dissolve in alcohol over time and are left with fuel in the system between uses.  

• Like 3

Around here the ethanol free gas is typically 90-91 octane. I use it in my yard equipment, riding lawn mower, chainsaw, leaf blower, snow blower etc. I had some of those items stored for a year while we built this house a few years back and it cost me a couple of carb rebuilds since I didnt have them full of Ethanol free when I put them away.

As far as a modern truck I think its a waste of money to run Ethanol free. They are designed for tolerance to Ethanol whereas lawn equipment never really was, its gotten better but I still wont take the chance. The cheapest Ethanol free is about $1.00 gallon higher than std gasoline. 

When we traveled to Iowa a couple of years ago I noticed the Ethanol free was widely available (more than here) and only about .40 cents more than regular. I thought that was odd being in the middle of corn country (not that MI doesn't have some corn)

Edited by 64BAwagon
  • Like 2

I always use a stabilizer for motors that are going to sit, usually Seafoam. It's the most cost effective. Regular doses of a fuel system cleaner for carbed motors is also part of my routine.

I also buy Top Tier gas. 

• Like 1

I went battery on my weed eater 22 years ago. Then my extended hedge trimming. All the same brand so the battery exchanges. My 30 year old chainsaw is on premixed from Home Depot. There’s three year old gas in it now. And I used it recently to cut a limb. That’s going battery next. I usually change riding mowers every 10 years. My brother has my last two. He doesn’t mind working on them. I’m checking out battery power on that. Only because of the noise, no other reason. My wife for the last 10 years has said just get a yard service. That buys me a ton of leverage on yard equipment, doing it myself. 

• Like 1