Musings on the future of GM

garagerog

A couple of things I've seen on the financial news the last couple of days have struck me regarding GM. First off yesterday Liz Claman from Fox Biz interviewed Mary Barra and when Mary was asked about reoccurring revenue streams she broke into a smile that would have put the Joker to shame. I'm pretty sure that Grumpy would label that a greedy smile. Mary specifically mentioned subscription services for super cruise. If GM's marketing arm monitored these forums they would realize how bad people hate having to pay to use something they've already purchased. Secondly this am a financial advisor said he would be shorting GM's stock given their all-in approach on EV's. The headwinds that renewables face and the shortcomings of EV's are well known, yet GM plows blindly down this path like a lamb to slaughter. The last sentence being my perception of his sentiment. Your thoughts?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

One other thing I meant to mention, it's incredulous to me how anyone got to be or keeps their job as a CEO of a major corporation while ignoring the first axiom of financial well being that even 5th graders are aware of, i.e. not keeping all your eggs in one basket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GM used to be my first choice. Impala used to be my favorite vehicle, rear drive. That’s been replaced by a Genesis. Regular extended cab trucks were my choice for a pickup. They’re all but extinct. I secretly prefer a mini van for a trip vehicle. GM doesn’t make one. When I look at car prices for a reasonably equipped vehicle of the past. They fall into the lower mid 20K at adjusted pricing. Not many reasonably equipped GMs in that range. Other brands do. GMs betting on electric. I don’t believe that’s a good move.

• Like 3

GM was my choice for years also. Now I buy what fits my needs. Roll of the dice no matter what you buy. I may buy one more vehicle and when the time comes I will decide by features and price like always.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, garagerog said:

One other thing I meant to mention, it's incredulous to me how anyone got to be or keeps their job as a CEO of a major corporation while ignoring the first axiom of financial well being that even 5th graders are aware of, i.e. not keeping all your eggs in one basket.

I honestly whole heartedly agree. I can't imagine what keeps her job secure. I get planning for the future, but clearly headwinds are there for BEV's, and they have yet to make one that was reliable. Look at the bolt fires. I've never understood why there wasn't more of a clawback clause for CEO's who run their companies into the ground. 

Honestly, there are so many ways they can monetize their current userbase without locking BS behind subscriptions. I think, if they had people remotely intelligent running the show, they could charge a sub for *new* features, roads, etc on supercruise. However, charging to be able to use the hardware is BS. Further, you know that the sub still won't replace parts if something breaks, which is even more of a scam. One should be able to use it in the cars most recent state of purchase with no sub. Then, upcharge to add the newest mapped roads, etc. 

Just like if they were smart, they could monetize us by allowing upgradable access to things for non-new vehicles. I would gladly pay for additions that come with factory support. No different than they sell accessories. A perfect example would be selling the refresh interior components and have them be plug and play. It's not like they re-engineer the wheel for each gen or sub gen, as evidenced by many people here using T1 parts across the generation. I'm convinced they are run by the lowest common denominator of society. As are most corporations. 

• Thanks 1

Just so it doesn't appear that I'm picking on Mary exclusively, Mercedes is advertising that they'll be all electric by 2030, sooner than GM I believe. Toyota is the only manufacturer that I've heard that is taking a more cautious approach to going all in on EV's and keeping their options open. I'm not a Toyo fan but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more of them on the road in the 2030's if the other manufacturer's don't carefully mothball their ICE engine plants so they can nimbly reverse course on what I believe is a very foolish business plan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, garagerog said:

Just so it doesn't appear that I'm picking on Mary exclusively, Mercedes is advertising that they'll be all electric by 2030, sooner than GM I believe. Toyota is the only manufacturer that I've heard that is taking a more cautious approach to going all in on EV's and keeping their options open. I'm not a Toyo fan but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more of them on the road in the 2030's if the other manufacturer's don't carefully mothball their ICE engine plants so they can nimbly reverse course on what I believe is a very foolish business plan

You are correct. Toyota has also been lambasted for their non-committal stance. They had previously stated they wanted more PHEV's and were hammered by the media. I feel like they are the only ones run by sane individuals anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 1454 said:

You are correct. Toyota has also been lambasted for their non-committal stance. They had previously stated they wanted more PHEV's and were hammered by the media. I feel like they are the only ones run by sane individuals anymore. 

Toyota are the smartest people in the room. They nailed Hybrids. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2023 at 8:10 AM, KARNUT said:

GM used to be my first choice. Impala used to be my favorite vehicle, rear drive. That’s been replaced by a Genesis. Regular extended cab trucks were my choice for a pickup. They’re all but extinct. I secretly prefer a mini van for a trip vehicle. GM doesn’t make one. When I look at car prices for a reasonably equipped vehicle of the past. They fall into the lower mid 20K at adjusted pricing. Not many reasonably equipped GMs in that range. Other brands do. GMs betting on electric. I don’t believe that’s a good move.

I am very frustrated with GM. Being a good Canadian right now watching NHL playoffs, I see lots of Chevy and GMC truck commercials. But when you go to a dealer lot there is not a hell of a lot to look at. And the prices are nuts. 

• Like 3

On 5/5/2023 at 1:44 PM, Likarok said:

I am very frustrated with GM. Being a good Canadian right now watching NHL playoffs, I see lots of Chevy and GMC truck commercials. But when you go to a dealer lot there is not a hell of a lot to look at. And the prices are nuts. 

This is because they are intentionally limiting production right now to try and keep inventory at covid levels to keep the high msrp prices in tact. Gm dealers near me have been slowly building inventory back even with the production stops. As i have said elsewhere on this site these makers are looking at some rough times ahead, especially ones that think the all ev approach is the correct one.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2023 at 8:32 AM, garagerog said:

A couple of things I've seen on the financial news the last couple of days have struck me regarding GM. First off yesterday Liz Claman from Fox Biz interviewed Mary Barra and when Mary was asked about reoccurring revenue streams she broke into a smile that would have put the Joker to shame. I'm pretty sure that Grumpy would label that a greedy smile. Mary specifically mentioned subscription services for super cruise. If GM's marketing arm monitored these forums they would realize how bad people hate having to pay to use something they've already purchased. Secondly this am a financial advisor said he would be shorting GM's stock given their all-in approach on EV's. The headwinds that renewables face and the shortcomings of EV's are well known, yet GM plows blindly down this path like a lamb to slaughter. The last sentence being my perception of his sentiment. Your thoughts?

LOL, Yep! 

• Like 1

Road Tax, tax of fuel, is a topic that is not being talked about. EV's use the road for free....for now 😉  That's going to be painful. 

My mechanic was telling me that EV delivery vans and trucks are getting parked due to short charge range. Advertised 300 miles plus is turning out to be closer to 100 miles in service. :nonod: Left to many stranded with undelivered loads one to many times. 

• Like 2

Wait until someone is finally brave enough to do an all things considered gas electric comparison. I’ve read articles that claim up to mid size Hybrids beat electric in pollution. Then add the stress of range. Instead of trying to force a new idea down our throat. Let good old entrepreneurs take the risk of perfecting and reap the rewards. The one automaker who has a reputation of near perfection is slow walking electric. Perfecting hybrids. I tend to listen to winners. Not wishful thinking. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Road Tax, tax of fuel, is a topic that is not being talked about. EV's use the road for free....for now 😉  That's going to be painful. 

My mechanic was telling me that EV delivery vans and trucks are getting parked due to short charge range. Advertised 300 miles plus is turning out to be closer to 100 miles in service. :nonod: Left to many stranded with undelivered loads one to many times. 

20230505_210830.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3