17 hours ago, KARNUT said:

My son worked at the family business one year as an apprentice. He hated it. My daughter worked as a secretary, same results. After graduating my son started selling timeshare. His first year he was making triple my salary, driving an Escalade. He did that for 15 years. Now he sells solar panels for homes. His wife is a realtor. When he bought his last house I went to visit. He was sitting on the sofa. I heard a noise in the back of the house. OH that’s my wife assembling bunk beds. She likes to do that. I went back there. She assembled everything. He helped when needed. She said he just gets in the way. I learned early on any ideas you may have about what’s normal. Kids will introduce you to what their idea of normal is. Every idea is covered in my extended family all you can do is look on in astonishment. And learn to bite your tongue. Big family gatherings are very interesting and usually at my house. The college grads are the most interesting are the least educated. They live in a fantasy world. 

I'm learning, and it's good to know what's going on in my family isn't unique.  My kids range in age from 5-12.  All 3 have different personalities and interests.  My wife got her Masters Degree from an Ivy League, l and is the dumbest smart person I know.  Yes, I say that to her face too.  She even graduated with honors.  Not a lick of common sense nor street smarts.  It's exhausting.  Couldn't change a flat tire even if there was a YouTube video to follow. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Transient said:

My dealer does 3 oil changes for $100.  They use what GM requires.  Courtesy Chevrolet in San Diego, CA if you want to look it up.  I know what kind of things dealership techs do.  I've had a loose oil filter 2 out of my last 3 oil changes.  It doesn't take much to tighten that myself in the driveway.  The 2 dealerships in my area make it impossible to watch the techs.  Look up the dealership I just listen on Google Maps.  The service area isn't indoors.  It's covered for the techs, but completely outside.  Vehicles awaiting service are parked outdoors in the middle of the service area.  Seems to be the norm out here.  There's a GMC dealership nearby the same way.  The Chevy dealership in Kearny Mesa is the same way.  I wouldn't be surprised if all the GM dealerships in San Diego County were this way.  I've worked for dealerships, and been a supplier to dealerships.   I've seen what goes on with my own 2 eyes.  Most things they "suggest" I refuse and take a look at in my driveway.  If it's legit I usually do the work myself.  They only get the oil changes because they are so cheap.  Just the oil itself at AutoZone costs more out here, just like everything else.  My cost to refill the gas tank with 91 octane is $115 right now.

I’ve encountered a bad dealership. In my town there’s a Ford dealership that wasn’t up to standards. Even after buying several vehicles from them they wouldn’t back up a mistake by them. The results I went across the highway to a GMC-Hyundai dealership. I’ve bought a 1/2 dozen trucks and 4 Hyundais from them. There’s also a radio program that’s also has a website that checks out dealerships. It’s called CarPro USA. It’s a great way to find excellent dealers in your area. I used to do my oil changes and repairs. Getting older the few dollars I saved just wasn’t worth the hassle anymore. I could still work if I wanted, happily I don’t do that anymore either. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 6:21 AM, diyer2 said:

VERY FEW with a degree impresses me. 

I hope you're in a position to hire people.  HR hiring standards often lack common sense due to that department typically being bloated with morons with degrees.  They hire their own ilk.  Perhaps that's why people with actual sense start their own small business.  I'm too bitter to work for others anymore. 

Edited by Transient
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Transient said:

I hope you're in a position to hire people.  HR hiring standards often lack common sense due to that department typically being bloated with morons with degrees.  They hire their own ilk.  Perhaps that's why people with actual sense start their own small business.  I'm too bitter to work for others anymore. 

The Good Book says, "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,".

It amazes me that people pay good money to become dumb on purpose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, swathdiver said:

The Good Book says, "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,".

It amazes me that people pay good money to become dumb on purpose.

In my wife's case the federal government paid for her masters degree.  She just had to agree to definite servitude (2 years service for every 1 year of school they paid for).  Her debt is paid, but she's opted to remain at the mercy of her masters.  Stockholm syndrome?

• Haha 1