12 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

That’s fine if every product or person lasts exactly the same. No warranty or life insurance is necessary. No dealer is going to back a vehicle repair without it being backed by the manufacturer. I wouldn’t ever buy a new vehicle without a warranty, most people wouldn’t. I wouldn’t dream of having 3 children without putting a warranty on myself. It’s called life insurance, same difference. Every product has a warranty. Warranties are free and good business. I had one V-10 blow up. We had 3 all used exactly the same way. One was bad. Fixed for free under warranty. If I was to buy a new vehicle especially a GM I’d buy an extended warranty. 

Hardest thing I do each and every day is make myself understood. 

Yes, it comes with a warranty and yes, I use it when I need to. What I meant was, if I have a warranty and they will not stand behind it due to some 'loophole' or "my word against yours" situation. You didn't let us service it or not our oil brand. TOAST! 

Our 3rd Honda Civic tossed a motor at 63,000 miles. Porous block leaking coolant into the crankcase. 3,000 out of warranty. He started with "It's out of warranty" and ending with "We will cover the entire cost". I reminded him of my guarantee system and how many I and others of my family had bought from them and offered to end that if he thought this wasn't worth the sacrifice of just doing the right thing. We are still driving that one. Now at 220K and counting. 

It was a known issue, a defect in casting. It isn't like I broke it or abused it. Stand up or get drop kicked to the curb.  

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 1:04 AM, swathdiver said:

Or some guy on his way home from dinner whose wife told him she was going to run into the store for just one thing and 5 songs later comes out with bags of stuff!  LOL

Whose wife is that quick when it comes to shopping?

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2023 at 7:25 AM, Silverado4x4 said:

Or some guy slept in his truck because the wife kept throwing him out of the house alot so he had the AC or heat running in the truck. 

Do you think that's what's going on with all the "overland" truck builds posers on the roads now?  The rooftop tent is the new doghouse?

On 4/19/2023 at 7:41 AM, GETGONE said:

This is the latest scam I learned about a couple months ago. I had an oil light message come on and stupid me reset it to see if it would come back. I was near the dealer I bought it from so I stopped in to ask about it. They asked about oil changes and I said I did them myself and I had a record of when I changed it and with what. They suggested having it changed at the dealer so they have a record of it in their computer. They just want to get more money from service or screw you on trade value. The service guy said I should keep all my receipts for the oil and filters I buy as proof. I don't specifically buy stuff at the same time for an oil change. If I find a deal on filters, I'll stock up. If I find a deal on oil, or I don't have enough left in my stash in the barn, I'll buy more, but not the 8 quarts at once the truck requires.

Many dealers sell oil changes as a "loss leader".  This is because they "inspect" the vehicle to find more work.  Getting you to buy that more work generates their profit. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 8:33 AM, KARNUT said:

Most vehicles have change oil lights. All manufacturers want maintenance records. I can change oil, engines, transmission, etc. and rebuild them. My under warranty vehicles get dealer service. Most still do after properly vetting them. Most of my vehicles are purchased at the same dealers. They’ll match other offers. It’s good to build relationships. They’ll send coupons. I just got one online for my wife’s car. Full synthetic with a rotation for 60$. I’ve been using them for 30 years.

That's an expensive oil change, imo.  Discount Tire does free rotations if you buy tires from them. 

46 minutes ago, Transient said:

That's an expensive oil change, imo.  Discount Tire does free rotations if you buy tires from them. 

I do rotations at discount. 60$ for synthetic oil changes expensive? I guess you never watch what they do at dealerships. I observe every time. I’ve had discount rotate my new vehicle tires for free. 

I got a flyer from my dealer and they want $99.95 for a lube, oil and filter. Lube what? There's no grease fittings on vehicles anymore. It doesn't apply to diesel engines and up to 8 quarts of ACDelco dexos1 oil. Doesn't say tire rotation is included either.

• Haha 1

Oil changes are the number one maintenance service and lead to 56 percent of repair opportunities for the dealer.

Statistic I read in an industry publication.

Edited by elcamino
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elcamino said:

Oil changes are the number one maintenance service and lead to 56 percent of repair opportunities for the dealer.

Statistic I read in an industry publication.

Most of us here are enthusiasts. We pay attention to our rides. The other vehicle owners don’t have a clue. All the dealerships I use check everything that has to do with vehicle maintenance. The printout they provide gives a checklist of maintenance that is upcoming including the tires. As far a useless maintenance like maybe changing the air filter a little earlier. It’s nice for the uniformed or people who don’t have a clue. The brakes are getting close or a timing belt change is  getting ready to be due. I tell my kids and grandkids get to know your vehicle read the maintenance manual and use the dealership. Form a relationship. My kids grew up around me building, drag racing and owning classes cars. Their mother driving performance cars as daily drivers. They have no interest in doing anything mechanical. They don’t even mow their own lawns. They are all Starbucks coffee buyer. I don’t know who raised them, I thought it was me. My son’s first car was a Z-28, he never opened the hood. It had a killer radio though. He could drive anything now. He drives an impala. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

They have no interest in doing anything mechanical. They don’t even mow their own lawns. They are all Starbucks coffee buyer. I don’t know who raised them, I thought it was me. My son’s first car was a Z-28, he never opened the hood. It had a killer radio though. He could drive anything now. He drives an impala. 

Out of six, my oldest son and my youngest daughter will tackle routine maintenance work. And while she can, she doesn't as a rule. She lets hubby do it. :P At least they all drive. Some kids have even given up on that. But yea, Starbucks is a priority.  

• Like 1

Just now, Grumpy Bear said:

Out of six, my oldest son and my youngest daughter will tackle routine maintenance work. And while she can, she doesn't as a rule. She lets hubby do it. :P At least they all drive. Some kids have even given up on that. But yea, Starbucks is a priority.  

My son worked at the family business one year as an apprentice. He hated it. My daughter worked as a secretary, same results. After graduating my son started selling timeshare. His first year he was making triple my salary, driving an Escalade. He did that for 15 years. Now he sells solar panels for homes. His wife is a realtor. When he bought his last house I went to visit. He was sitting on the sofa. I heard a noise in the back of the house. OH that’s my wife assembling bunk beds. She likes to do that. I went back there. She assembled everything. He helped when needed. She said he just gets in the way. I learned early on any ideas you may have about what’s normal. Kids will introduce you to what their idea of normal is. Every idea is covered in my extended family all you can do is look on in astonishment. And learn to bite your tongue. Big family gatherings are very interesting and usually at my house. The college grads are the most interesting are the least educated. They live in a fantasy world. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Grumpy Bear said:

My son worked at the family business one year as an apprentice. He hated it. My daughter worked as a secretary, same results. After graduating my son started selling timeshare. His first year he was making triple my salary, driving an Escalade. He did that for 15 years. Now he sells solar panels for homes. His wife is a realtor. When he bought his last house I went to visit. He was sitting on the sofa. I heard a noise in the back of the house. OH that’s my wife assembling bunk beds. She likes to do that. I went back there. She assembled everything. He helped when needed. She said he just gets in the way. I learned early on any ideas you may have about what’s normal. Kids will introduce you to what their idea of normal is. Every idea is covered in my extended family all you can do is look on in astonishment. And learn to bite your tongue. Big family gatherings are very interesting and usually at my house. The college grads are the most interesting are the least educated. They live in a fantasy world. 

On 4/20/2023 at 1:15 PM, Silverado4x4 said:

Yep, a man always has to have a plan B to fall back on and extreme cases plan C. 😀

Might as well just put a doghouse in the back of the truck, imo.  It probably weighs the same as the rooftop tent with the rack it's on top of.  With solid wall construction you won't have to worry about wind.  Maintain the roof for excellent rain protection too.

On 4/20/2023 at 1:53 PM, KARNUT said:

I do rotations at discount. 60$ for synthetic oil changes expensive? I guess you never watch what they do at dealerships. I observe every time. I’ve had discount rotate my new vehicle tires for free. 

My dealer does 3 oil changes for $100.  They use what GM requires.  Courtesy Chevrolet in San Diego, CA if you want to look it up.  I know what kind of things dealership techs do.  I've had a loose oil filter 2 out of my last 3 oil changes.  It doesn't take much to tighten that myself in the driveway.  The 2 dealerships in my area make it impossible to watch the techs.  Look up the dealership I just listen on Google Maps.  The service area isn't indoors.  It's covered for the techs, but completely outside.  Vehicles awaiting service are parked outdoors in the middle of the service area.  Seems to be the norm out here.  There's a GMC dealership nearby the same way.  The Chevy dealership in Kearny Mesa is the same way.  I wouldn't be surprised if all the GM dealerships in San Diego County were this way.  I've worked for dealerships, and been a supplier to dealerships.   I've seen what goes on with my own 2 eyes.  Most things they "suggest" I refuse and take a look at in my driveway.  If it's legit I usually do the work myself.  They only get the oil changes because they are so cheap.  Just the oil itself at AutoZone costs more out here, just like everything else.  My cost to refill the gas tank with 91 octane is $115 right now.

Edited by Transient