Odometer validation / fraud detection

am considering buying a 2020 Sierra from an insurance company as a theft recovery. Is there a way to confirm the miles displayed on the electronic screen/odometer? Is it stored in the ECU or BCM or someplace to cross check?

The ins company is going to brand the title “not actual” as they have no idea what the thief may have done.

I would like to know the real miles

Edited by OldBob

• OldBob changed the title to Odometer validation / fraud detection

I have service records until the theft. At that time someone changed the VIN plate and I believe changed the odometer reading. (Added about 20k miles) to agree with the mileage on the truck they took the vin from.

Ugh.

Why do you want a truck that was stolen, has a different VIN, questionable mileage, and who knows what else?

They more than likely drove it like they stole it because they stole it.

I would keep looking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, OldBob said:

Getting it way under value

If you like the price and are willing to deal with any problems buy it. Me, I would pass.

I have 2 Jeeps I bought from Copart and made the needed repairs. One was replacing a rear frame member and a bumper. We have been driving it 8 yrs now. I bought another one from them in August with some minor cosmetic damage from a wind storm. Made the repairs and we love it and will likely have it many years. This Truck is the first theft vehicle so it is a little different animal.

I like having no car payments and we run our vehicles to about 225k before we get rid of them so the resale is not much of an issue and the cost per mile is low.

I also have a lot of.mechanic experience just not on the new computerized systems.

That all said, I just bought the wife a new Lincoln last month cuz that is what she wanted and it is nice to have new, warranty, etc. I admit.

• Like 1