2024 Silverado 3500 dally brake controller

JUST brought a 2024 Silverado 3500 dually,  I have a HD trailer GVW of 26K. Electric over Hydraulic brakes. The truck dose not recognize the trailer for brakes.  I have 3 other trucks that it works fine with.  15 Silverado 3500, 21 gmc Denali 2500 HD , then hooked up to a 22 DODGE RAM 3500.  ALL TRUCKS the trailer worked fine.  GM says there is no Problem.  go figure.  Well their fix is to install a Aftermarket adapter non GM approved on my trailer to get them to work.  As everyone knows trailer wiring will not last and needs attended to because of corrosion and loose connections because of the environment.  So Spend 80k for a lawn statue.  

I don't know if there is a question involved with your thread, but I have heard from other members on another forum, for Colorado's, about them having intermittent issues with the factory brake controller. So, on the 2017 Colorado I owned and on my "new to me" 2020 Custom I installed the RedArc system. The unit can be hidden and out of the way, while the dial is super small and not obvious.

https://www.redarcelectronics.com/us/tow-pro-elite-electric-brake-controller

Good Luck

On 5/9/2023 at 9:41 PM, Curt Lowe said:

JUST brought a 2024 Silverado 3500 dually,  I have a HD trailer GVW of 26K. Electric over Hydraulic brakes. The truck dose not recognize the trailer for brakes.  I have 3 other trucks that it works fine with.  15 Silverado 3500, 21 gmc Denali 2500 HD , then hooked up to a 22 DODGE RAM 3500.  ALL TRUCKS the trailer worked fine.  GM says there is no Problem.  go figure.  Well their fix is to install a Aftermarket adapter non GM approved on my trailer to get them to work.  As everyone knows trailer wiring will not last and needs attended to because of corrosion and loose connections because of the environment.  So Spend 80k for a lawn statue.  

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Curt Lowe.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2024 Chevrolet Silverado. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Curt Lowe/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 1 month later...

UPDATE 7/15/2023:

Brake issue seems to be resolved.  I still need to clear the turn signal errors at startup every time. 

Additional issues now:

1. I have driven the truck/trailer a fair distance the past few days. New issue has arisen. 30 minutes into my drive the camera that is activated when the turn signal is applied does NOT show the side view of the trailer. It DID show it earlier in the trip but, now shows the FRONT camera view. After I stopped I took a video of the issue. Put in park and then revers, that cleared the issue.

2. The cameras for the trailer show a blank screen. I have the older camera that worked fine on my 2022. Blank screen.  I have a brand new camera that I plug in and same blank screen. I will have the dealership see if there is an issue caused when they did the bumper/bed plug swap. 

Sooooo, there is a service bulletin for the EOH brake systems NOT talking to the trucks correctly. This has been a known issue since about 2021. However, we found that this applies to our NON-EOH brake system (typicallly the Hydrastar brake system) on my Platinum horse trailer. Constantly dropping connection without losing lights. Constantly tripping turn signal failure alarm. 

We completed the fix by installing the Hydrastar Controller Adapter Module 382-7073 to THE TRUCK, not to the trailer, as this remedies the issue for any trailer I will pull. The bulletin says to connect it to the trailer. However, GM tech had our service department attach it to our truck.  So far it works fine after 50 miles. No turn signal or brake connection warnings at all. 

Our service department is filing this under warranty because it started immediately upon purchase. Even though this is not a GM part they use, it should be covered. 

Now, onto the camer system issues in a different thread!

IMG_4534.jpeg

Edited by M3rlin
Add pic

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2023 at 7:49 AM, M3rlin said:

UPDATE 7/15/2023:

We completed the fix by installing the Hydrastar Controller Adapter Module 382-7073 to THE TRUCK, not to the trailer. However, GM tech had our service department attach it to our truck. 

Now, onto the camer system issues in a different thread!

Did they splice the module into the wiring or just use an adapter and plug it into to bumper plug?  The module didn’t work for me splicing it into the trailer as I was told to do by GM