Sudden RKE (Key Fob) Death?

2019 Silverado LTZ wiht 19k miles. 

Yesterday, for the first time ever, my truck would not start. DIC said "remote not detected" then "place remote in cupholder". When I did, the truck started (as it should have).

Ever since then, this key fob won't lock, unlock, or start the truck. Remote battery (CR 2032) measured 2.7V, so I replaced it with a new one that read 3.05V, issue persisted. Tried my backup remote, worked fine with no issue yesterday and today.

Seems my primary remote just suddenly died despite neve being dropped, submerged, etc. Anyone else expeienced this?

Edited by Chevrolet1

22 hours ago, Transient said:

Stupid question, but did you install the battery correctly in the key fob?

Yes, of course. And, the remote started doing this even before I tried a newer battery.

On 5/22/2023 at 9:15 PM, Chevrolet1 said:

2019 Silverado LTZ wiht 19k miles. 

Yesterday, for the first time ever, my truck would not start. DIC said "remote not detected" then "place remote in cupholder". When I did, the truck started (as it should have).

Ever since then, this key fob won't lock, unlock, or start the truck. Remote battery (CR 2032) measured 2.7V, so I replaced it with a new one that read 3.05V, issue persisted. Tried my backup remote, worked fine with no issue yesterday and today.

Seems my primary remote just suddenly died despite neve being dropped, submerged, etc. Anyone else expeienced this?

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Chevrolet1.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2019 Chevrolet Silverado. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Chevrolet1/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

I appreciate the response from GM Customer Service, and will use this option if something more signifcant happens.

Since my truck is out of warranty (CPO, ended in Dec 2022), I bought a genuine GM remote online and just programmed it myself using page 39 of the owner's manual. Now the new remote and what was previously my second / backup remote are both working, and remote 1 is now re-synched with driver 1 settings.

Edited by Chevrolet1

On 6/3/2023 at 2:44 PM, Rob Mugs said:

I had the same thing happen and new remote was the ONLY thing that fixed it

This sucks. Does anyone have the same issues with the fobs that come with the custom/custom trail boss/work truck? We have ignition keys (thru 2020), so it wouldn’t be a huge deal, but still quite annoying.

A few existing TSB's on this

Non GM issues that cause this:

#PIC5650K: Diagnostic Tip - Security Light on Intermittently / No Crank/No Start or Start Stall / Keyless Access Vehicles May Display No Remote/Fob Detected / Poor or No RKE Range / Service TPM - (May 15, 2023)

• Aftermarket LED dome, tail, turn, stop, strip, floor, door, Logo, head lightsIn many cases, when the LED lighting is turned on it can interfere with a RF signal.  Example,  RKE inoperative after the first fob button press.  When the RKE fob button is pressed the dome lights may turn on, which if equipped with an aftermarket LED dome light, it can interfere with any additional fob button presses. 
  • Certain cell phone chargers
  • USB power banks
  • USB flash lights
  • Fans (12 volt or 110 volt)
  • Any type of USB, 12 volt or 110 volt chargers
  • “Bedazzle Trim Ring” surrounding ignition lock cylinder, shown below (1)
  • Vehicle immobilizer keys from other vehicles
  • Keyless access transmitters from other vehicles
  • Interstate/bridge toll passes
  • Gate/door passes to allow access to pools, driveways, entry doors, etc.
  • Community/parking access cards
  • Fuel station speed passes
  • Building access swipe cards/ transponder devices

Another TSB:

#PIT6015: Diagnostic Tips When Having Difficulties Programming Or Adding Key Fob Transmitters - (May 11, 2023)

The information below is only for reference and normal SI diagnostics and programming instructions should always be followed. When having difficulties programming or learning key fob transmitters to a vehicle, the following tips may help.

1. If programming new key fobs, verify the correct part number fob is being used. Also, make sure there is not a VIN already learned to the new key fob by using the EL-52545 and follow the latest version of bulletin 21-NA-061.

2. Do not assume where the programming fob pocket is located, as it can vary from vehicle to vehicle. Use the owner's manual to verify the proper location of the programming fob pocket.  

Note: If there is still a fob transmitter programmed to the vehicle, one quick test to determine that the IMMO coil is working properly and you have the correct programming fob pocket location, is to perform the following: 

- Remove the battery from the fob that is still programmed to the vehicle.- Move all fobs away from the vehicle.- Try to start the vehicle and the results should be a DIC message stating no fob detected.- Place the learned fob, with the battery removed, into the programming fob pocket and try to restart or power up the vehicle. If the vehicle powers up, then you have verified the IMMO coil is working properly, and the correct programming fob pocket is being used.

3. If there was any reprogramming, a module replaced, or any modules with a current DTC U1962, then make sure the Serial Data Authentication Configuration (SDAC) has completed.  

4. If there are any "Environment Identifier" DTC's set, they should be addressed.

5. During the IMMO Immobilizer Learn, after the ignition automatically powers on, make sure to set the parking brake. Also, on vehicles with a Electronic Transmission Range Shifter, press the "Park" button on the shifter.

6. During the IMMO Immobilizer Learn, only place the key fob transmitter in the programming fob pocket when instructed, and make sure ALL additional transmitters are AT LEAST 3 m (9.8 ft) away from the vehicle. Do NOT place key fob transmitters on the roof, hood, etc. keep them away from the vehicle.

7. During the IMMO Immobilizer Learn, stay with the TLC computer and vehicle at all times so you can follow ALL programming instructions, as SPS will instruct multiple times to perform various functions. If these instructions are missed, the learn could fail.

8.  During the IMMO Immobilizer Learn a "Communication Error" message maybe displayed. This error has been seen when an aftermarket device is connected inline with the DLC, see the latest version of bulletin 13-08-116-001H. Inspect and remove any aftermarket devices.  

9. In some rare cases, if the computer/lap top being used to do the IMMO Immobilizer Learn is inside the vehicle it, could cause interference.  Make sure the computer/lap top is outside the vehicle when performing the IMMO Immobilizer Learn.

• 5 weeks later...

I’d like to add to this with a new twist that I just experienced today. Hoping someone can help identify the issue or recommend next step.

I have a 2019 Silverado RST 5.3L with no aftermarket upgrades.  Would not start today with the push button start.  Got the “Remote Not Detected” error, so I grabbed the spare remote and same thing.  Tried the step of putting the remote in the cradle (never knew this was a thing) and truck still won’t start!  It turns on like it’s in accessory mode, but engine does not turn over.  Buttons on remote don’t work either.  I reprogrammed both remotes and still nothing.  The twist here is I’m also getting a Service Steering Column Lock message, but it locks as soon as I open the door after turning everything off.  Changed batteries in both remotes too.  Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions?  I’m at a loss right now.  Going to download the app and try remote starting it to see what happens.  Thanks for any guidance and help!

Edited by GregH73

On 7/4/2023 at 5:25 PM, GregH73 said:

I’d like to add to this with a new twist that I just experienced today. Hoping someone can help identify the issue or recommend next step.

I have a 2019 Silverado RST 5.3L with no aftermarket upgrades.  Would not start today with the push button start.  Got the “Remote Not Detected” error, so I grabbed the spare remote and same thing.  Tried the step of putting the remote in the cradle (never knew this was a thing) and truck still won’t start!  It turns on like it’s in accessory mode, but engine does not turn over.  Buttons on remote don’t work either.  I reprogrammed both remotes and still nothing.  The twist here is I’m also getting a Service Steering Column Lock message, but it locks as soon as I open the door after turning everything off.  Changed batteries in both remotes too.  Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions?  I’m at a loss right now.  Going to download the app and try remote starting it to see what happens.  Thanks for any guidance and help!

Check all related fuses. It seems your truck is not finding or receiving a signal from any remote, even if it's in the programming pocket.

My symptom was similar, but the second remote worked fine, so the cause was clearly with my first remote. Bought a genuine GM remote off ebay for about $65. The procedure to reprogram a new remote with one working remote worked perfectly (pages 33-34 of the owners manual). Hope this helps.