Statistically, How Prevalent Are Transmission, AFM, and Lifter Issues?

I see a lot of anecdotal information about Silverado transmission, AFM, and lifter issues and, of course, dissatisfied owners are always the most vocal about problems on GM truck forums but is there any solid information available about what percentage of models are actually plagued by these issues?

I've got a 2016 5.3 reg. cab 4x4 with 29k miles that's in excellent condition with no problems that I could sell for only a couple thousand less than I paid for it seven years ago and I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or sell before I might need to spend thousands on it for inevitable repairs if, indeed there's a high likelihood of problems occurring.

It's a roll of the dice IMO.

At 29K miles why spend money when you may be worrying about something that may never happen. 

Just start doing above average maintenance. Change fluids more often and maybe consider upgrading all the fluids to 100% synthetic, like Amsoil. Cheaper than another truck.

Have you serviced the trans? Start there. 

Lifter failures.  Internet talks loudly about it for sure.  Real world it varies.  I've seen plenty over 100k miles and they've never been apart.  Good oil, good filter, change it no more than every 5000mi it should treat you good.  You can always go the disable or tune route and turn it off if it bothers you.  

Transmission.  Seen more of those than lifter jobs at this point now sadly.  Do the updated thermal bypass valve from GM which lowers the full open from 194F down to 158F.  6L80 does not like the heat for long term reliability.  Keep the fluid changed in it, try about every 45,000mi.  ATF's additive package allows the clutches to do their job properly.  Heat and mileage break them down and reduce the effectiveness of the additive pack.  

Statistics wise?  I'd say that comes down to internal GM warranty claims.  They'd have the documented failure rates which of course we'd never be privy too.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2

I have had great luck with this truck, except the AC. Maintnence it key to the longetivity of the K2XX. Follow this religiously and you should be good + engine air filter every 20k. 

image.thumb.png.a1a3e5c26a3f9f964e6d486ba1f498c0.png

I 100% recomend an oil catch can and range AFM disabler 

8 hours ago, PrairieGM said:

Just out of curiosity, what changed from the previous generations of 6L80s besides the thermostat that caused this?

I would think it was who ever GM is getting their torque converters from.  We all know they go with the lowest bidder.