Factory 22's- corrosion and air leaks

All 4 tires been leaking pretty decently. No nails or screws i could find, so figured bead leaks. Finally got to be annoying enough adding air every week that I got the truck in to discount tire. Come to find out they tell me all 4 rims have significant corrosion on the bead lip. 

I said well are you able to hit them with a wire wheel and use bead sealer or anything? They didn't seem very interested and basically said the wheels are junk. Said they see it on GM and Ford trucks all the time. I have never heard of it being common, nor have I ever had a rum failure on any other vehicles. I know a rim is a rim, but I guess what chaps me most is these "premium" wheels were $2995 option.

Anyways, any of you guys encounter this issue?

And this is why I run a set of winter only wheels and tires to keep the good ones looking good.  All makes, all models, they all do it.  

Tire shop should have at least tried to clean them and bead seal them.  It could have improved their air holding abilities.  

Edited by newdude

I don't have 22" but 20" factory rims. I too have a minor leak but only on 1 so far. No visible punctures that I have been able to find. I just need to add a couple lbs of air every other week or so. Tires (Fallen Wildpeaks) bought at Discount Tires a few years back. I did call them and they said to bring it in and they would take care of it but since it's so minor right now, I've been procrastinating doing it. Maybe soon just to see if they can do anything for me...

Edited by mikeyk101

11 hours ago, Earl Cordova said:

Had some nasty corrosion all over a set of aluminum wheels.

Had them refinished at a local place that does real nice work.

Cost was $250 per wheel.

Interesting. I thought about reaching out to a wheel repair place. But to be honest, damn at 250 per wheel, i would just buy a new set of Fuel wheels probably.

10 hours ago, newdude said:

And this is why I run a set of winter only wheels and tires to keep the good ones looking good.  All makes, all models, they all do it.  

Tire shop should have at least tried to clean them and bead seal them.  It could have improved their air holding abilities.  

They flipped all tires inside out and rebalanced and I did see them using some beadsealer. I didn't see them try cleaning them up at all though. They didn't charge me anything, I got the impression they didn't want to deal with it.