Checking in 1yr looking back

It's been a whole year since getting the 24 Sierra and hooking up with all you folks at the time. WOndering when the hell, if ever, could we, ever buy a damn truck. 

But I guess, it all works out. It's been all good for me, hope it's been tolerable for all the rest. 

My sales rep called, we talked a while she said I've almost got it work out so we need to place an order in case it takes 2 years again. I reminded her it wasn't that bad, only 19 months, 2 extra doors, not a Chevy and not the red I wanted. Other than that it was perfect! HAHA! ... 

But the 24' she's been good so far. It lovingly accepts all the fuel offered up, thirstily asking for more. But damn, what a ride for a 2500, it's impressive. 

I got a lot of great advice from you all, and it meant a lot. Like the brakes. Kinda sucked at first but sure enough, 1500/2000 miles absolutely, stops with authority. Power has improved, not so much the consumption. 

I see there's a recall on the tailgate latch - kind of knew that was coming. I added a cover. Going on a trip to the east costs to bring back a cabinet in couple weeks. 

I do have a question! ... What ya think about the steering? Sometimes, I feel like the steering is a little heavy.... Maybe I need to play with the air? bout the only thing I can do. It's heavier than my 16' was I really feel. 

Other than that, best to all! 

1yrmileage.thumb.jpg.41a8048d8455c5d7f501ff3bfbd2fba4.jpgbedcover.thumb.jpg.24c847105b224bf7f42634b3046677a1.jpg

• Like 1

Good write up. I've had my truck since Jan 18, 2024. I thought the brakes needed a lot more pressure than my previous GMC 1500 trucks but after 4000 miles, they are lot better. I haven't noticed anything unusual about the steering. I try not to go to either extreme as I don't like the noise it makes. My truck weighs 8680 pounds, about 1000 over curb weight, with 2 passengers and the stuff I keep in the truck bed and under the rear seat. I set my tire pressure to 55 psi front and rear and changed the tire placard through the OBDII with an Autel TS508. No TPMS errors and Onstar stopped squawking. Truck rides pretty good for a 2500HD on and off road.

Do you only have 3483 miles after a year?

• Like 1

You can save a bunch of money on fuel if you get the "Open Roads Fueling" card. Usually around 50-60 cents a gallon.

I had a 20 and 22 LT 2500 and now a high country.....the digital varaible assist makes noticeable difference on HD trucks....especially in the slow stuff

you dont hear about it much, but makes the 2500 steer almost like a 1500

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The brakes take a lot more pedal pressure than my '16 1500. It's funny when I hopped into the wife's Nissan Maxima, first few times almost put my head into the dash when hitting the brakes. I don't notice much of a steering difference regarding effort, more that it turns like crap compared to my 1500. Still, pretty happy with it.

Been almost a year since I got my Silverado HD gasser also, and there are things I like and things I don't vs my 2016 half ton Denali.

Based on the lengths of these lists, it seems like I don't like my truck.  That's not at all the case.  The likes are mostly big things.  The dislikes are mostly nits.  Anyways...

• Towing stability with a large travel trailer.  No brainer this should be better.  Driving in strong winds or winding mountains is far less stressful, as is semi truck interaction.
  • Transmission is excellent.
  • Braking has become excellent over time.
  • The cameras!  Man, the cameras are awesome.
  • The 6.6L gasser.  I thought it was gutless when I first got it, but it's really woken up as it's approached and passed 10k miles
  • The screens (more on this in the dislikes session though too).  They're clear, bright, and intuitive, mostly.
  • Wireless Android Auto
  • The towing mirrors are fantastic
  • Exterior lighting.  We sometimes launch the boat in the dark, and all the illumination from the mirror lights and bed lighting is really nice, when I remember to turn it on.
  • The power up-down tailgate is a huge hit with the DW.  I'm actually glad I got it vs the multi-pro.
  • Trailering app, light test, trailer profiles, etc.  Very intelligent design and useful for someone like me with multiple trailers to keep track of.

Dislikes

• The grade braking/auto parking brake is the most annoying thing on Earth.  It kicks on at the most inopportune times when going to hook up a trailer when backing up a sloped driveway.  To hook up my boat trailer on my sloped driveway, I used to put my 2016 in reverse, and use the brake pedal to adjust my approach speed when lining up.  The stupid logic of the 2024 will automatically bring the truck to a complete stop while inching back, and won't let it roll again until you touch the gas.  The only way to hook up a trailer on a sloped driveway is to drive with two feet so you don't lose the split second going from gas to brake.  There's no way I've found to turn this system off.  I HATE HATE HATE this...
  • When I got it, the trailer brakes would just randomly stop working.  I live near mountains.  That was fun.  Fixed this with a module update and a diode on my travel trailer.
  • Sometimes the tailgate just decides it won't open using the rear switch.  I need to use the button on the dash or the keyfob to get it to open.  No, it's not locked.  What was wrong with handles and latches?
  • I have a weird chirping noise at low RPM and light throttle loads.  Will have dealer look into this.  Sounds like it could be exhaust chirp, or a knock.  Doesn't seem belt-related.
  • Yes, it's a HD pickup, but the ride should be better.  I don't expect it to match the MagneRide in my Denali, but the Z71 Ranchos stink, and it'll rattle your teeth out over square edge junk and handles dips in the freeway like a pogo-stick.  I don't think the Ranchos have any rebound damping at all.
  • Related to previous, the TPMS warning threshold needs to be adjusted down (for better ride).  70 PSI is too high.  Per Michelin's specs, 50 PSI all around should be all I ever need for my towing, and a better ride.
  • Infotainment screen is laggy with Android Auto, often requiring several taps, presses, etc to get it to respond.  Strangely, the less powerful system in my 2016 had none of these issues and was super responsive.
  • Gauges should be upgradable via third party updates.  The stupid bars are useless for things like temperature.  I want numbers, not random bar gauges.  Also, a transmission gear indicator would be nice.
  • Size.  Seriously.  It simply doesn't need to be so comically large.  Parking it sucks, even with the nice cameras.  If GM made a truck that's the size of a half ton Denali or AT4 but with 2500 lbs of payload, half ton steering rack, 6.6L gasser/Allison... I couldn't give them my money fast enough.  They'll say "but nobody bought a Titan HD..."  Well yeah, it's a Nissan.
  • Ancient steering setup.  GM already beats the others in ride and handling with the superior IFS setup.  Rack and pinion steering instead of old school tractor tech would be sublime.
  • The seats were better in the 2016.  The 2024s are less plush, so much so that my wife sits on an additional cushion in the new truck.
  • Collision warning forgets when I configure it to use beeps instead of the seat buzzer.  I'll be backing into a space and the seat will buzz and scare the crap out of me.  I'll set it to beep, then it'll randomly set itself back to buzzing a few weeks later.
  • Like Rancho should be embarrassed to have their name on those shocks, Bose should be to have its name on that sound system.  It's OK, not great.  I don't expect it to sound like the Burmeister in my wife's Benz, but I think the 2016 sounded better and had more adjustable range.
Edited by UWSkier

@UWSkier

Nice write up. I've had the issue where the alerts switch to the seat vibrating instead of beeping. I think it changes to the seat vibrating after having a trailer hooked up and using the trailer app onscreen. I haven't fully confirmed it yet. Either way, I don't think the settings should change on their own.