I thought it was the fuel pump

I am trying to mechanic for my brother over the phone and it is almost immpossibe to do. He has an 88 350 TBI. Won't start. He can't hear the fuel pump running, the most common problem with the OBS trucks. I instruct him how to change the fuel pump. Now fuel pump is running, still won't start. Fuel is being delivered to the filter. Relay is working because pump is pumping. What now? Any advice? Could it be the idle control module? It is so hard because I am just a shadetree mechanic and I am 1000 miles away. He is a college student who needs the extra money by doing it himself. Please chime in so I can call him back and give him some ideas.

I agree, check for spark.. I always use a extra plug so I don't have to pull one.

just pull the plug wire and hook to the grounded plug.

I also just went this route with my 88.. I never heard the pump run in all the years of driving it.. but that is what was wrong with mine. I turned the key on so it should have pumped gas to the throttle body pulled the pressure line and nothing, not even the smell of gas..

in my case swapped the pump and it was fixxed..

also might have him double check the plug and the ground for the pump, my ground wire terminal attached to the frame was about trashed.

We ended up having to replace the whole unit though as the lines was to weak and sprung a leak.

It was the Ignition Control Module. Now he has a new GM pump, Wix filter, and GM ICM. He should be in good shape. Thanks guys.

Archived